Marantz HD-DAC1
Feb 19, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #228 of 1,283
  I' ll give you a clue next week, when I expect to receive my dac-1 and pair it with my HE 500s ...  

Excellent thanks, exactly the pairing i had in mind.  My only concern that it could be a little under powered (having used my HE500 with a Cyrus 3 Speaker Amp it really opens them up) and a little warm.

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #229 of 1,283
Before I made up my mind, I heard the HFM with quality amps, under the 1000mw/32ohm wattage and I understood that the job can be done pretty well.. up to now I had the Audio-gd nfb-11  (rated about  2w/38ohms) ... 

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #230 of 1,283
Before I made up my mind, I heard the HFM with quality amps, under the 1000mw/32ohm wattage and I understood that the job can be done pretty well.. up to now I had the Audio-gd nfb-11  (rated about  2w/38ohms) ... 

I have the Audio-GD Compass 2, which is about the same power wise. I don't really need an upgrade but the marantz is shiny and would match my stereo setup, PM15s2 etc.

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #231 of 1,283
My listening tests have been brief and not scientific but my belief is my experience of my 1st and 2nd unit mirrors your own, except the hum on the 2nd unit seems a little less at all gain settings. I've now established the residual RF issue is my iphone 4s that cannot be hard reset (lock button busted). Once I have settled on a new source (I hear the front usb/idevice input as more detailed/more treble than the conventional rear usb) then I think I will be very happy with this unit...

It seems the iDevice RF issue coincides with device becoming fully charged by the HD DAC-1. Today there is less/zero issue while the iDevice is still being charged... go figure!

In practice this means swapping between CCK+normal USB and the iDevice interface on the front panel.

Best

James

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #232 of 1,283
Just got mine in tonight! What settings are you using for JRiver? Couldn't make DSD work even though used similar settings to what I used on an iFi iDSD Micro.  Using a DoP setting and getting sound, but not sure it's the right way.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #236 of 1,283
Has anyone used the HD-DAC1 while watching movies on an iPad.  It seems like the audio and video are ever so slightly out of sync.  I haven't had this issue with other icompatible dac/amps.  Wondering if anyone else has experienced this?  Thanks 

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #237 of 1,283
Has anyone used the HD-DAC1 while watching movies on an iPad.  It seems like the audio and video are ever so slightly out of sync.  I haven't had this issue with other icompatible dac/amps.  Wondering if anyone else has experienced this?  Thanks 

Ask this guy: http://www.head-fi.org/u/413996/crafft

http://www.head-fi.org/t/730055/marantz-hd-dac1/68

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #238 of 1,283
Help spend my money....
biggrin.gif

The Marantz HD-DAC1 really has me intrigued as a one box DAC - headphone amp upgrade solution; sound wise, what would I be giving up going the Marantz route vs. a Schiit Bifrost / Vahalla 2 (or Asgard 2)  -OR- suitable DAC + Project Ember pairing?

I know that if I go the Marantz route, I'll lose the option of tube rolling; which may be ok as I don't know if I really want to start playing hi-fi again. However, if the Marantz falls short on the sound side, I'll break out the valves.

Interestingly enough all the combos I'm considering come in about the $US 700-800 range.

Currently, I'm using HD600's, fed by a Maverick D1 from the PC; musical tastes are all over the board.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #239 of 1,283
Ask this guy: http://www.head-fi.org/u/413996/crafft

http://www.head-fi.org/t/730055/marantz-hd-dac1/68

Unfortunately I'm not a movie/film guy. So no experience here. But will check it out.

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #240 of 1,283
Thanks craft. Would love a few folks to plug in their iPads and see if they have syncing issues between the video and audio. Also I'm considering trying an oppo ha-1. Is there a consensus between the marantz and oppo? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back