Marantz HD-DAC1
Feb 10, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #211 of 1,283

I'm very much a low-volume listener.  Trying to preserve hearing after years of too many loud concerts!   With my HD800's, I'm not even all the way to 9 o'clock.  Beyond that is much too loud for me.  I prefer the high-gain not so much for volume but it seems to give more weight to the sound for the 800's.  Might be my imagination though!

same here,  I can't listen too loud or it hurts!

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #212 of 1,283
I'm very much a low-volume listener.  Trying to preserve hearing after years of too many loud concerts!   With my HD800's, I'm not even all the way to 9 o'clock.  Beyond that is much too loud for me.  I prefer the high-gain not so much for volume but it seems to give more weight to the sound for the 800's.  Might be my imagination though!

We are on the same page then! I use my HD800 also on mid-gain with the control well below 9 o'clock.

The amp set on high gain would theoretically give very slightly higher distortion (using less feedback in the amp), but then again at the same time increase the slew rate (faster response, again thanks to less feedback). Everything is a compromise... :rolleyes:

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #213 of 1,283
Did you use a long USB cable to connect to the front USB bus? There is a warning in the Marantz HD-DAC1 manual not to use long USB cables on the front input because of potential RF interference.

Would have been nice though if they had stated what length they consider too long. I am using a cable approx. 1 foot in length to connect my external HD, with no problems. Makes me suspect that cheap USB cables could also be problematic.

Hello again. I have tried several different 30pin to usb cables. This seems to have no impact on RF incidence or severity. Also re: HF, the response my dealer received from Marantz was to factory reset the HD-DAC1 and 'hard' reset any iDevice to be connected (e.g. hold both iphone buttons until apple logo appears). This seems to have had some benefit. I also now have the dealer's demo unit which hums a little less and initially sounds at least as good if not better than the first unit (this could be burn/run in). the lock button on my iphone is broken so performing a hard reset is proving interesting... It is a great sounding unit. I just hope I can get it to perform consistently in a sufficiently convenient way.

Best

James

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #214 of 1,283

Hello again. I have tried several different 30pin to usb cables. This seems to have no impact on RF incidence or severity. Also re: HF, the response my dealer received from Marantz was to factory reset the HD-DAC1 and 'hard' reset any iDevice to be connected (e.g. hold both iphone buttons until apple logo appears). This seems to have had some benefit. I also now have the dealer's demo unit which hums a little less and initially sounds at least as good if not better than the first unit (this could be burn/run in). the lock button on my iphone is broken so performing a hard reset is proving interesting... It is a great sounding unit. I just hope I can get it to perform consistently in a sufficiently convenient way.

Best

James

Hi,

When you say that the dealer's demo unit possibly sounds better than the first unit, in what way would you say that they're different?  The reason why I ask is that the two units that I've had sound very different from each other.  The first, which I had to return due to a defect, sounded more on the dark side, with rather rolled-off highs and somewhat prominent low end that actually worked well with my HD800's - tamed the highs for me.  But the new unit is brighter, more detailed sounding with less in the low end.  Not as good of a match with the HD800's.  I'm also fairly sure that the first unit had no or at least less hum than my current unit. I'm curious to find out if your hearing similar differences.

Feb 13, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #215 of 1,283

Hi,

When you say that the dealer's demo unit possibly sounds better than the first unit, in what way would you say that they're different?  The reason why I ask is that the two units that I've had sound very different from each other.  The first, which I had to return due to a defect, sounded more on the dark side, with rather rolled-off highs and somewhat prominent low end that actually worked well with my HD800's - tamed the highs for me.  But the new unit is brighter, more detailed sounding with less in the low end.  Not as good of a match with the HD800's.  I'm also fairly sure that the first unit had no or at least less hum than my current unit. I'm curious to find out if your hearing similar differences.

My listening tests have been brief and not scientific but my belief is my experience of my 1st and 2nd unit mirrors your own, except the hum on the 2nd unit seems a little less at all gain settings. I've now established the residual RF issue is my iphone 4s that cannot be hard reset (lock button busted). Once I have settled on a new source (I hear the front usb/idevice input as more detailed/more treble than the conventional rear usb) then I think I will be very happy with this unit...

Feb 13, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #216 of 1,283

My listening tests have been brief and not scientific but my belief is my experience of my 1st and 2nd unit mirrors your own, except the hum on the 2nd unit seems a little less at all gain settings. I've now established the residual RF issue is my iphone 4s that cannot be hard reset (lock button busted). Once I have settled on a new source (I hear the front usb/idevice input as more detailed/more treble than the conventional rear usb) then I think I will be very happy with this unit...

Thanks for your feedback - glad to hear that your happy with your unit!

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #218 of 1,283

I only compared the two as a dac/amp combo with headphones directly into the units. Both are very good. But I thought the Marantz sounded more "real", more 3D. With my DT880 the iDSD sounded a bit too bright for my taste.
I think I can agree with the general consensus that as a DAC-only the iDSD is the better choice and the Marantz has a better headphone amp stage.

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #219 of 1,283
I only compared the two as a dac/amp combo with headphones directly into the units. Both are very good. But I thought the Marantz sounded more "real", more 3D. With my DT880 the iDSD sounded a bit too bright for my taste.
I think I can agree with the general consensus that as a DAC-only the iDSD is the better choice and the Marantz has a better headphone amp stage.

I've seen so many people saying that iDSD is the best in its price range.
If we're using the same high res files and headphone, does DAC1 present sound stage better?
I'm certainly looking for bigger and wider sound stage with good details.

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #220 of 1,283

I'd say as a one-box solution for headphones the Marantz is the better sounding unit as it sounds more realistic in terms of tonality, timbre, decay and therefor more engaging to me. Those criteria are  more important to me than soundstage.
I can't tell which of the two portrays the soundstage better but on the Marantz I got immediately drawn into the music and with iDSD I listened to nice "sounds"...I hope that makes sense...

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #221 of 1,283
Thanks,
I'm considering both DAC1 and iDSD.
It seems like Marantz has longer history in high end audio than iFi Audio.
I think I might purchase DAC1 if everyone can confirm that DAC1 beats iDSD in SQ. iDSD has higher headphone power (w4000) and higher quality PCM support (32bit, quad DSD).
So far, DAC1 lacks reviews. I guess it's because DAC1 is only four months old.
iDSD has 150 pages on this forum yet DAC1 has only 15 and I can barely find its reviews or comparison to other units.

Someone told me that iDSD is better than Sony's PHA-3. Then, DAC1 should be the best among three. I haven't heard about any other great sounding DAC below $800 price range.
Audeze's Deckard DAC ($699) seems intriguing too.

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #224 of 1,283
Thanks,
I'm considering both DAC1 and iDSD.
It seems like Marantz has longer history in high end audio than iFi Audio.

Just slightly - over 60 years for Marantz vs less than 5 for iFi afaik .... 

I own two Marantz products with onboard DACs - the PM6005 with the CS3498 and SA-14S1 with the B-B DSD1792A - and each has clearly been designed to appeal to certain segment of the market. From some of the feedback in this thread it would seem that Marantz has nailed most of their target market with this relatively inexpensive offering - I only wish they had gone down this road sooner. As of right now, I'm waiting to hear the new NA8004 to see if Marantz have taken the CS4398 as far as they can - interesting times ahead. 

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #225 of 1,283
  Or vs Audiolab MDAC, or Hegel HD11?

I have owned the Audiolab MDAC for 2 years. It is a very competent unit that as a dac/amp suits some headphones (HD650, RS1, SRH940) but is significantly underweight for HD800 and does not suit other phones such as B&O H6 and Beyer DT250-250. It has no iDevice specific interface.

The HD DAC-1 carries much more authority as a DAC and especially as an amp. IMHO, there is no real contest given a UK street price difference of probably around 10%.

Best

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back