Marantz HD-DAC1
Dec 21, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #76 of 1,283
I have k812 and planning to buy th900 soon. 

Yesterday I have tried th900 with sony uda1 and I find out that the power of uda1 is already sufficient to drive th900 satisfactorily. The specs says uda1 has 55mW + 55mW at 32 Ohm (it did not specify that it is maximum output).

I am now interested in Marantz hd-dac1. If uda1 can drive th900 well I think hd-dac1 can only be better.

Anyone has tried hd-dac1 with k812 and th900?

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #77 of 1,283
  I have k812 and planning to buy th900 soon. 

Yesterday I have tried th900 with sony uda1 and I find out that the power of uda1 is already sufficient to drive th900 satisfactorily. The specs says uda1 has 55mW + 55mW at 32 Ohm (it did not specify that it is maximum output).

I am now interested in Marantz hd-dac1. If uda1 can drive th900 well I think hd-dac1 can only be better.

Anyone has tried hd-dac1 with k812 and th900?

I'm driving my Denon D7000, which I assume it is quite similar to the Fostex's, without any problem at all, the volume know is at 9 o'clock position, pushing it to 10 is too loud for me. The Marantz also loves the ATH-W1000, never heard it belt out vocals with such a gusto before.

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #78 of 1,283
Got my HD-DAC1 yesterday, and it is now running in with a Marantz CD80 as source on the digital input, and Sennheiser HD540. Once run in, I will be trying it with the Sennheiser HD800, HD540 and HD650, and will also be comparing it with the Marantz SA11S3 (integrated headphone) and SA11S3 DAC section + Lehmann Linear headphone amp. Watch this post... (I haven't got an iPod, nor do I use a computer as a source, so won't be reporting on that).

Initial impressions are that this is a fantastic piece of kit for the money. I have not done a direct comparison yet, but it reminds me of my Marantz SA11S3 / Lehman Linear combo. The sound signature is definitely typical Marantz. Slightly laid-back but musical, detailed and engaging. It completely rejuvenates the CD80. The CD80 has relatively high jitter to modern standards, but the HD-DAC1 internally re-clocks the data stream, so the literature suggests.

I have the DAC set on the lowest amplification, which is more than loud enough for me when using the 600Ohm/94dB HD540 (this is an older model HD540 reference I).

Fast forward or backward skipping on the CD80 freaks out the DAC's muting relays circuits. May be a feature of what a CD80 outputs on its digital output, but at some point the DAC muting circuit gives up and stubbornly locks on mute. So far it seems this can only be reset by briefly switching the DAC to a different input, and then back. What works for me so far is to set the CD80 to pause, then skip to the desired time in the track, and resume play. The DAC seems happy with that.

Some notes re. the use of mass storage devices on the front USB input:

• The USB port supplies 5V up to 1Amp. It drives my external HD without any issues.
  • File & folder names are displayed up to only 32 characters (scrolling). That's a major limitation, the SA11S3 can display much longer names.
  • The maximum total number of folders is 700, up to 8 levels. Not enough in my case. I'll need to split/rearrange my library.
  • The maximum number of files is 65,535. I'm OK with that.
  • The small round "porthole" window on the front may be an interesting design feature, but it is not helpful when searching for files. There is only a short delay before the entry scrolls to show all characters, and it scrolls faster than the SA11S3, but still...

On the analogue input:

Jodet,

One can always use a RCA to Mini for the analogue input.

A word of warning: I connected the analogue input to the fixed analogue output of the CD80 and got severe distortion. Should have checked of course, but the HD-DAC1 analogue input sensitivity is only 200mV!! (20kOhm input impedance). If you want to hook this unit up to your HiFi separates through the analogue input, you will need an attenuating lead of -10dB at least...
I'm actually not sure what outputs only 200mV these days. The headphone output of personal audio players maybe, although hooking this DAC up to that would be bananas IMHO. So, not entirely sure what Marantz see as the use for the analogue input implemented this way.

UPDATE: Marantz in their documentation state that the analogue input is provided to connect portable players / phones etc. Furthermore, this Qobuz review seems to suggest the analogue input is not directly fed through to the analogue amplifiers in the HD-DAC1, but rather it is first digitized at 24-bit, 96kHz by a Burr-Brown PCM9211. In my view this makes this a DAC foremost and headphone amp second, as the DAC section is always employed, even when using the analogue input.

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #79 of 1,283
Wondering how the Marantz's dac section compares to something like the Meridian Director, Mdac,  arcam irdac etc if anyone has experience of these and some time to share a thought or two.

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #80 of 1,283
Marantz uses Cirrus Logic CS4398. Seems Marantz other products also use it.

Anyone know how does it perform comparing with Sabre (ES 9018 - oppo ha1) and Burr Brown (PCM 1795 sony uda1)? I have read some comments that 9018 be more analytical and the latter be more musical.

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #81 of 1,283
Some impressions of the HD-Dac1.
I've had my HD-Dac1 for about two weeks now. I come from a 1st generation EE Minimax, which uses the 9018 Sabre dac, with tube pulled and upgraded Dexa opamps.
There is this French review, which is very positive, but claims that the line out (not the headphone part) is rolled off at 15khz. I put this to people on another forum, who say they do not hear this at all. I don't really hear it either, but I'm not an expert, and when I first came from the EE dac, the Marantzdid sound less clear. http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.hdfever.fr/2014/11/03/test-teac-ud-301/&prev=search
Another French review, which I take to conclude that the sound is somewhat warm and pleasing, and that it is a matter of taste whether people like this. http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/info/-MAGAZINE-ACTUALITES/HI-FI-BANCS-D-ESSAI298&prev=search

My impressions:
Speaker system:
Fanless Media PC > Adnaco fibreoptic USB > Audiophileo 2 > dac > Creek Destiny 2 > Kef R300.
Here I find the EE dac clearly brighter than the HD-Dac1, but also a bit grainy in comparison. The HD-Dac1 is smoother, with a slightly darker sound. Once I got used to it, I did not miss the clear highs of the EE anymore, because I now hear them in the HD-Dac1 - they're there, just not so prominent.

Headphones:
Fanless Media PC > Adnaco fibreoptic USB >Marantz HD-Dac1 > Hifiman 400i
From the beginning I felt that the highs of the headphone amp were very nicely extended. And I do not feel the sound is on the warm side here. I am still using the stock cable, where I find the trebble to be a little harsh sometimes (which is strange as many people have said that the Marantz is, if anything, too warm and sweet). But I have a Toxic Cable Black Widow on order, which should take care of any overly bright bits. I find the separation of instruments clearly better than the EE though.

In general:
The most important part last: I found from the beginning that the Marantz brought more music into the system. I never felt that the EE was analytical or overly bright. The Dexa opamps made a big difference in the fluidity of the sound. But with the Marantz I found myself being more involved with the music. Analogue-sounding is a word people have used. The emotion and beauty comes through more clearly. For the first week or so, I was constantly amazed at how much I enjoyed listening to the Marantz. And I have started to listen more to popular music again (latin, forlk, jazz, etc) rather than just classical - which is always my staple.

But I am now used to the Marantz and in many ways the experience that it is more involving than the EE has worn off. It has become the new normal. I had the EE for more than four years, and only got the Marantz because I needed a headphone amp. I have since sold the EE. and will now go back to what I always used the EE for, enjoy the music :)

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #82 of 1,283
There is this French review, which is very positive, but claims that the line out (not the headphone part) is rolled off at 15khz. I put this to people on another forum, who say they do not hear this at all. I don't really hear it either, but I'm not an expert, and when I first came from the EE dac, the Marantzdid sound less clear. http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.hdfever.fr/2014/11/03/test-teac-ud-301/&prev=search

I think you may have linked to the incorrect review, that one seems to be for a TEAC.

In any case, I think I have read the review you do mean. It shows a very high-order roll-off with 15kHz at -0.11dB and 20kHz at -1dB. Not great figures when compared to SACD output for example, but nothing to worry about. Normal CD players have had this type of filtering in for ages (albeit maybe a little more generous, say -1dB at 22kH or so). This in fact shows that the Marantz engineers know what they are doing. The HD-DAC1 accepts 44.1kHz PCM as one of the input signals. This will have significant signal content (noise really) at frequencies > 22kHz and at 44.1kHz, much more so than signals at a higher sample frequency. Marantz won't know what poweramp / speaker combination you will be feeding the analogue out into when using the HD-DAC1 as a preamp. If this is an amp without much of an upper bandwith limitation, and some older speakers, then feeding unfiltered DA-converted 44.1kHz source material to that combination may overheat your tweeters. You wouldn't immediately notice (unless you are a bat :D), but suddenly your tweeters may cease to work...

Again, you will find that regular CD-players have always had a very sharp analogue bandpass filter to filter out anything above 20kHz or so. SACD players in contrast normally (and should) warn you in the documentation that when you use a high bandwidth amplifier you need to make sure your speakers are designed to take significant signal content > 20kHz to prevent the tweeters getting fried.

So, nothing wrong with this in the HD-DAC1, just carefully designed.

This is in fact why the whole oversampling saga in CD players started. Oversampling had little to do with artificially creating "missing" samples, but much more with moving the digital noise to higher frequencies that allowed the use of simpler lower-order analogue low-pass filters. That is the only question I have for Marantz; given that the DAC internally would up-sample the 44.1kHz PCM to something of a much higher frequency (at least I assume it does), would this sharp low-pass filter at 20kH still be really necessary?

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #83 of 1,283
Anyone tried this amp/dac with the HD800? Are there better choices with both AMP and DAC in one package? And will it be a diffrence between the Magni and the Modi I already have?

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #84 of 1,283
Anyone tried this amp/dac with the HD800? Are there better choices with both AMP and DAC in one package? And will it be a diffrence between the Magni and the Modi I already have?

I have tried it with the HD800. Think of it as a magnifier, but not yet a microscope. The HD-DAC1 has the typical "smooth" Marantz sound, but I do find it to sound just a little more analytical & detailed than other Marantz premium offerings for example (like the SA11S3 + Lehman Linear). I find that the HD800 / HD-DAC1 combo is very picky with respect to the source material. Great recordings sound fantastic, but this combo mercilessly points a big fat arrow to any flaws in the recording, engineering or mastering. Which unfortunately means that for most modern, dynamically strangled and sibilant popular material you may want to pick a more forgiving headphone (or amp in your case I suppose). A Sennheiser HD540 + HD-DAC1 combo would be far more multi-talented.

The HD800 can have a tendency to sound a little sibilant on poor material, and for the combination with the HD-DAC1 I find this to be emphasized.

If the HD800 is your only headphone, and you mostly listen to popular, I would really recommend you try out the HD-DAC1 before buying. However, for well recorded classical material (AliaVox label for example), the HD800 - HD-DAC1 combo I find to work extremely well, truly fantastic really.

As for better choices with both AMP and DAC in one package, that is hard to answer. It totally depends what features you are looking for and how you will be using / sourcing it. As far as features, sound quality and engineering quality are concerned I am beginning to think it would be hard to find anything better at the price level of the HD-DAC1. They could double the price and it would still look like a decent offering.

I am not familiar with the Magni or Modi, so can't give you any advice there I am afraid...

Also, Marantz really should think about adding $25 or so to the price and providing an RCA 2.4V line level analogue input that bypasses the DAC entirely and directly feeds the volume control / headphone amp section!

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #85 of 1,283
I believe that I have a different take on the HD-DAC1/HD800 combo, at least using the HD-DAC1 as a single unit dac/amp.  I found that it nicely smooths over what is for me the sometimes unrelenting brightness of the HD800.  I have very few cringe-inducing moments with this device. The bad news is that this smoothness can also obscure some details, especially when listening to classical music.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #86 of 1,283
I believe that I have a different take on the HD-DAC1/HD800 combo, at least using the HD-DAC1 as a single unit dac/amp.  I found that it nicely smooths over what is for me the sometimes unrelenting brightness of the HD800.  I have very few cringe-inducing moments with this device. The bad news is that this smoothness can also obscure some details, especially when listening to classical music.

That is interesting. I guess we need to have more people contribute their experience with this particular combo to see if some reasonably consistent conclusion can be reached...

Of course I am comparing it with the Marantz SA11S3 / Lehmann Linear and Marantz CD80 / DIY amp combos, which are both very musical sounding (I say musical, some would say very smooth, which is my preference generally...)

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #87 of 1,283
I should say that so far I have found it difficult to do proper critical listening sessions with the HD-DAC1. I set off with the best intentions but often find two hours later that I have been simply enjoying myself immersed in the music.

That should mean something I guess... :D

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #88 of 1,283
That is interesting. I guess we need to have more people contribute their experience with this particular combo to see if some reasonably consistent conclusion can be reached...

Of course I am comparing it with the Marantz SA11S3 / Lehmann Linear and Marantz CD80 / DIY amp combos, which are both very musical sounding (I say musical, some would say very smooth, which is my preference generally...)

I own none of the piece of equipment I am going to mention, but was interested in buying the HD800 with either the HD-DAC1 or the HDVD800 and had several chances to spend time with both combo.

This is all personal, but I enjoyed the Marantz more, probably for reasons that will play against it: brighter, giving me goosebumps when playing Dvorak Requiem (this is my test music for audio, but had similar opinion with other of my go to classical music)
Both were a little bass thin for some hard rock (AC/DC) but great with classic rock or blues (Led Zepplin or Vaughan)
For me both had a relatively similar resolving power.

Hope this helps.

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #89 of 1,283
I should say that so far I have found it difficult to do proper critical listening sessions with the HD-DAC1. I set off with the best intentions but often find two hours later that I have been simply enjoying myself immersed in the music.

That should mean something I guess...
biggrin.gif

It's certainly difficult to compare everyone's personal experiences with various gear as it seems that we all hear things differently.

I would say that my experience jives with your last comment though - I find the HD-DAC1 is an easy listen for simple musical enjoyment.

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #90 of 1,283
Hello Everyone, i am a Newbie and i use the hd700s and the RS220s both are awesome so far with the asus xonar u7. I have been looking at this Marantz Model. Seems pretty nice. has anyone used it with the above Cans and can it play flac files through a usb stick?? Thanks for reading!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back