Marantz HD-DAC1
Dec 8, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #1,218 of 1,283
What's a USB decrapifier?

When folks mention USB decrapifiers, they mean USB reclockers or galvanic isolators, so devices meant to sort USB data between a transport and DAC. Hope this helps, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 8, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #1,219 of 1,283
When folks mention USB decrapifiers, they mean USB reclockers or galvanic isolators, so devices meant to sort USB data between a transport and DAC. Hope this helps, thanks!

Oh okay. Is there any you would recommend?

Dec 8, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #1,220 of 1,283
Its been some time since I’ve had my hd-dac1, and I honestly do miss it. I came back here to read a bit about other users experience’s lately… but then there’s “Pbarach” again, hanging out being negative not adding anything constructive. Ruined the experience lol.

Dec 8, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #1,221 of 1,283
Its been some time since I’ve had my hd-dac1, and I honestly do miss it. I came back here to read a bit about other users experience’s lately… but then there’s “Pbarach” again, hanging out being negative not adding anything constructive. Ruined the experience lol.

who is that?

yeah I seriously have yet to find a DAC that beats it.
not as a headphone amp, but just the DAC part.

and the sad thing is I am trying to find something to beat it.
its maddening.

i was trying two years ago and now decided to try a few more DACs to beat it but nope.
ugh

Dec 8, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #1,222 of 1,283
I hope you're being sarcastic, because I don't recall posting anything negative about my HD-DAC1. I have it connected to my computer, and I use it every day at my work desk with Senn 600's. I replaced it in my big system with a Topping DAC and a THX 789 amp; the combo adds a bit more detail than the Marantz.

Dec 8, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #1,223 of 1,283
I hope you're being sarcastic, because I don't recall posting anything negative about my HD-DAC1. I have it connected to my computer, and I use it every day at my work desk with Senn 600's. I replaced it in my big system with a Topping DAC and a THX 789 amp; the combo adds a bit more detail than the Marantz.

which Topping DAC if you don’t mind me asking?

thanks

Dec 8, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #1,224 of 1,283
Oh okay. Is there any you would recommend?

We did quite a few such products and still have some in our offer, but it's best to ask other users what they think about these products. Thanks for asking though :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 8, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #1,225 of 1,283
We did quite a few such products and still have some in our offer, but it's best to ask other users what they think about these products. Thanks for asking though :)

are you the rep from Ifi?

if so, why did you discontinue your galvanic isolator ?

i have that connected to my Marantz and it really helps.

was there a reason for discontinuing that product?

Dec 8, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #1,226 of 1,283
who is that?

yeah I seriously have yet to find a DAC that beats it.
not as a headphone amp, but just the DAC part.

and the sad thing is I am trying to find something to beat it.
its maddening.

i was trying two years ago and now decided to try a few more DACs to beat it but nope.
ugh

I bought a Ferrum Erco recently, Erco has more power (thanks to it's balanced design), more functions (can be connected to a fully balanced AMP, supports MQA full decode and rendering which is a good plus for me), a very light weight in compare to HD-DAC1, more smaller form factor..

But when it comes to sound Marantz is not way behind of it.. It's very very competing actually.

Thinking it was first released 8 years ago I can understand why Marantz is not making another DAC after HD-DAC1. I think they don't need...

So isn't there any sound difference between Erco and Marantz, sure there is.. To be more fair I will compare only 6.35 Headphone outs of both DACs without using any other AMP or stg.

I used Beyerdynamic DT770 250 Ohm headphones, here is my opinion:

One note is that when I will say below "more" that doesn't mean "clearly" more or "very much" just a little bit more will be better understanding.

Erco is more musical, more sweet sounding, Erco is more balanced through the frequency I can say. But you don't loose any detail in both DACs, they have very slightly different presentation. But to be honest I am not sure if I could find which is which in a blind test.

But when I was buying Erco I was not expecting a day and night difference between DACs because I already had a very good opinion about Marantz's DACs quality. You don't need to try all DACs around, it's just a very very good and correct DAC if you test with the music you are already familiar with. So I did not get Erco because I did not like Marantz's sound..

If I did not have hard driven headphones, if I did not have 4.4mm balanced cables, if I was using my DAC on a fixed table set up (I like to put my DAC next to me on a coffee table while sitting in different places in the house) I would not need that slight more musical presentation of Erco.

So Erco gives me slightly better, sweet sound with more functions in a smaller and lightweight design. That is why I did not regret to buy Erco but there is not too much sound difference as their prices remind us... (Erco's retail price is 2400 Euro, but I bought one from here, used (15 hours) and with a very good price. Marantz can be found 400-500 USD used I think)

Since Marantz doesn't have balanced out, it will not be fair to compare balanced out of Erco to SE of Marantz, but again out of giving more juice to hard driven headphones and gaining some positive things from that output power difference, Marantz is very very good still..

Dec 8, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #1,227 of 1,283
I bought a Ferrum Erco recently, Erco has more power (thanks to it's balanced design), more functions (can be connected to a fully balanced AMP, supports MQA full decode and rendering which is a good plus for me), a very light weight in compare to HD-DAC1, more smaller form factor..

But when it comes to sound Marantz is not way behind of it.. It's very very competing actually.

Thinking it was first released 8 years ago I can understand why Marantz is not making another DAC after HD-DAC1. I think they don't need...

So isn't there any sound difference between Erco and Marantz, sure there is.. To be more fair I will compare only 6.35 Headphone outs of both DACs without using any other AMP or stg.

I used Beyerdynamic DT770 250 Ohm headphones, here is my opinion:

One note is that when I will say below "more" that doesn't mean "clearly" more or "very much" just a little bit more will be better understanding.

Erco is more musical, more sweet sounding, Erco is more balanced through the frequency I can say. But you don't loose any detail in both DACs, they have very slightly different presentation. But to be honest I am not sure if I could find which is which in a blind test.

But when I was buying Erco I was not expecting a day and night difference between DACs because I already had a very good opinion about Marantz's DACs quality. You don't need to try all DACs around, it's just a very very good and correct DAC if you test with the music you are already familiar with. So I did not get Erco because I did not like Marantz's sound..

If I did not have hard driven headphones, if I did not have 4.4mm balanced cables, if I was using my DAC on a fixed table set up (I like to put my DAC next to me on a coffee table while sitting in different places in the house) I would not need that slight more musical presentation of Erco.

So Erco gives me slightly better, sweet sound with more functions in a smaller and lightweight design. That is why I did not regret to buy Erco but there is not too much sound difference as their prices remind us... (Erco's retail price is 2400 Euro, but I bought one from here, used (15 hours) and with a very good price. Marantz can be found 400-500 USD used I think)

Since Marantz doesn't have balanced out, it will not be fair to compare balanced out of Erco to SE of Marantz, but again out of giving more juice to hard driven headphones and gaining some positive things from that output power difference, Marantz is very very good still..

wait, so you are saying the ERCO is better with headphones ?
you havent used it as a stand alone DAC?

that’s what i was saying.
as a stand alone DAC the Marantz is tough to beat. Not with its headphone amp.

Dec 8, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #1,228 of 1,283
wait, so you are saying the ERCO is better with headphones ?
you havent used it as a stand alone DAC?

that’s what i was saying.
as a stand alone DAC the Marantz is tough to beat. Not with its headphone amp.

I mostly compared headphone outs but also I compared (not very critical listening actually but I have some idea) both by connecting them to my only standalone AMP (Soncoz SGA -1), when I do that as I recall from my mind, the difference is getting lower even I can say no difference...

So yes for me headphone out of Erco is better than Marantz's, but when I use both as standalone DAC to another AMP the difference is getting lower.. I will try to make some comparison in a better time with external AMP. if I can find some clear differences I will update here.

But if you have Marantz and happy with it's sound, and if it has good synergy with your current headphones or speakers no need to change it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back