Mapletree Amps
Apr 5, 2011 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Spirit84

New Head-Fier

I am really pretty new to the headphone hobby, so I am trying to educate myself as much as I can.

A friend of mine gave me a Mapletree amp while he is away for a year in Asia.

Is there a particular brand of headphones that will mazimize synergy  with this tube amp.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #2 of 5
Grado.  And my new-to-me K601's are an excellent match as well.

You are very lucky to have such a friend....
biggrin.gif

Edit:  And in case you'd like to do more reading on the amp: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/239485/mad-ear-purist-hd-appreciation-thread

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 5
Well, tonight a friend of mine came over with his Sennheiser 600 so that I could try it with the Mapletree.  My impressions are as follows about the combo of the Mapletree and the 600:
very musical and very soft - maybe a bit too relaxing for me.  I believe that I could listen to this combo for hours without triggering any fatigue.  
If I wanted to open up or let's say liven the sound a bit which other 'phones would you suggest I try? 

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 5
Any Grado is going to liven the sound up compared to the HD600.  The Grado house sound is very upfront and involving, to the point where some will call it bright or harsh, but the Mapletree does a good job of sanding off the sharp edges.  In the thread I linked to, you'll find dozens of testimonials to the Grado/MAD synergy.

And (sorry to sound like a broken record) but I'm really enjoying the K601 with the MAD amp.  More balanced than the Grado, with a slightly more laid-back and spacious signature, but not too far back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back