Manufacturing defect in my SR-60s?
Aug 20, 2008 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

TehNomad

Head-Fier

Crappy quality pic, but there's a crack between the plastic box that connects the headband to the driver. It's only on the right one.

I bought these new in June '08 from buy.com. I don't have the box anymore, but I do have the invoice/receipt. They defect doesn't affect sound quality, but the right pole slides up and down loosely.

Can I send these back to Grado for a replacement?

On an unrelated note, would it be better to upgrade my source, headphones, or add an amp first?

Aug 20, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 18
Grados is pretty good with their warranties. Call them up and they'll ask you to send them in, no biggie.

As to your question about amp or no amp, the SR60s are very easy to drive, they sound great unamped. They become a bit tighter and gain a wider soundstage when being fed through a good amp but I would say, for casual listening, the amp is not important for them at all. Your source and source material (quality of the music) should be your biggest concern at this point if the SR60s don't sound good (unless you do not like the Grados sound signature/characteristic).

Aug 20, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 18
Definitely under warranty. Just send them in.

Aug 20, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by espire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. My SR60 has this under the right earcup too. Are we sure it's a defect?

Both my SR60 and SR225 have that on the right side too.

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #10 of 18
OHZ NOZ, HEADPHONE VIRUS!

No, I would think that Grado is slowly changing the part over to this new one that has the gap. It's not really a crack, since it's very clean and even a gap.

Aug 21, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #12 of 18
Both my SR225 (purchased new 1 year ago) and my RS2 (purchased 2 weeks ago) have this defect (on right side only). Must be a defect in the mold that Grado uses.
Another defect I've seen with every Grado is distortion of the plastic surrounding the pivot on side of the C-shaped cup holder. It is only on one side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehNomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, funny. I only have it on the right side of mine. Do the tubes slide down loosely on both sides for you guys?

Yeah, the right side does seem a little looser than the left side.

Oct 1, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #13 of 18
What about the twisted cord? I have some SR225s from TTVJ (purchased about a year ago) and it seems like the cord never wants to be "right" and lie flat and straight...has gotten a bit better, but if I hold them by the headband and shake them a bit to center the cups wherever the cable would take them, they don't end up...right.

Also, I have the crack on the right, the left one has a triangular gap sort of....

P.S....I never would have noticed this unless I had read this, and it doesn't really bother me that much as it doesn't affect the build quality or durability.

Oct 1, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #14 of 18
My SR60s began decomposing upon first contact with humanity. The headband issue mentioned was a problem as well as intermittent buzzing from loose bits in the right ear cup. Warranty for me in Australia, a non-issue because they came from overseas and shipping was too expensive. My Grado experience left me grumbling. Uncomfortable, unstable, unreliable. I didn't think they sounded anywhere near interesting as the chorus of voices singing their praises. Never again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back