Making Sure Im Getting This Right
Jan 10, 2013 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Networkgamer

New Head-Fier

I've recently been delving into audiophile territory lately, much thanks to this site! Anyway, been doing a lot of research on revamping my audio gear, because from what I was reading, it needed a change and I agreed.

I started out before coming here just with an ipod touch (gift) and skullcandy titans (deal), so you know where Ive already come from.

Now, I have a galaxy nexus tuned with cm10.1, franco kernel for the audio enhancements, with noozy + eizo rewire for its processing, and I recently got my hands on a pair of monoprice 8320's, after reading about what a craze they were.

My main point is now I want to expand this audio quality to all I have besides my phone, because I dont have enough resources to tune my laptop (Sager Np9170, heavily upgraded), my ipod (touch 4g) and a few various others of little mention.

From this, Ive come to this conclusion of items to get to seriously revamp all these.

Fiio E7 USB dac/amp, $74
Debating beyerdynamics DT880s ($238) vs Audio Technica A900X, $244
Ipod L11 LOD cable, $9.49 (cheapest LOD cable on amazon)

My main points of contention about if this seems like a proper way to go;

I realize my galaxy nexus most likely wont be able to utilize the dac of the fiio, only the amp, which is fine. Just the amp would make it that much grander.
If the E7 is enough to properly drive the DT880's (pretty likely) or the A900X (most definitely) at high volume

Thanks in advance for any help I can get in this endeavor, its been a journey so far, and a big thanks to this site already!

edited for consistency

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 28
I'm not sure you've set the priorities right. You should be getting a better headphone, now you're spending more on the peripherals than the part that makes the most difference.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 28
Is there a better headphone in that price range, or would you recommend more to go with a lesser amp/dac and higher priced cans? I would be fine if getting the E17 + possibly the E9k and lesser headphones if in the future it means all I would need is better cans.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:
Is there a better headphone in that price range, or would you recommend more to go with a lesser amp/dac and higher priced cans? I would be fine if getting the E17 + possibly the E9k and lesser headphones if in the future it means all I would need is better cans.

Heya,

There's no reason to get the E9K at all unless you get headphones that either demand a lot of current or a lot of voltage. The E17 does everything you need without the extra expense. And if you get a headphone that demands much more amplification in the future, well, I would put you on a different amplifier anyways (like a Schiit Magni or JDS Labs O2).

I too recommend you focus on a much better headphone. You don't need all these things. You need a good headphone and a simple, but solid, DAC/AMP setup that works with everything. The E17 does that, so you're good to go there, regardless of what computer or device you're using. Now you just need to focus on getting a solid headphone. I would suggest the DT880 250ohm.

Very best,

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 28
That does seem like a great headphone, but a little out of my price range, unless those DTs are fine unamped for a bit (Im betting due to its impedance thats a no?). I do want to mention (second nature for me not to offhand) that as a result from a lot of childhood ear infections and surgeries, theres something about my ears that damp/mash frequencies together at low volume, albeit I can hear perfectly fine at (relatively)high volume (in terms of clarity and detail, as well as bass), point being high impedance cans might be even worse unamped beyond other factors. Thanks for the recommendation, Ill keep those in mind still.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #6 of 28
Hello there!

I think you should spend more on headphone than DAC/amp. I would recommend you to downgrade your FiiO E17 to E07K + FiiO LOD L9 and that is good enough. Cut E9 out of your list. That way, you should be able to afford a $200 headphone. :)

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #7 of 28
I should clarify, I meant the E9k down the road if needed or if it would benefit those cans, but the consensus seems to be otherwise, so they're out.

Considering what I have laying down the road, in particular doing all my own audio with various performers, would it not be wise to go with the E17 and a basic set of phones and to upgrade those down the line than skimp on the amp and possibly upgrade later anyways? I know quality cans are much needed but I dont want to risk possibly having to upgrade a part I could have gotten first anyway, with my budget.

Probably unneccessary to, but I do want to note that Im very much leaning towards higher impedance cans for all that they offer, plus the placebo effect, but not too high as to prevent a high enough volume so that I can hear the high quality audio out of the e17 (possibly e09k).

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:
= but I dont want to risk possibly having to upgrade a part I could have gotten first anyway, with my budget.

When you're spending less on your headphone and not getting what you want, you'll be spending way more on the next headphone later. And have a headphone laying around not being used.

A $30 soundcard is going to power your headphones fine.

Put some budget into a serious headphone and you won't be changing that for a decade.

Check this out.

Very best,

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:
When you're spending less on your headphone and not getting what you want, you'll be spending way more on the next headphone later. And have a headphone laying around not being used.

A $30 soundcard is going to power your headphones fine.

Put some budget into a serious headphone and you won't be changing that for a decade.

Check this out.

Very best,

Im not so sure how long headphones can last with me, they all have a tendancy to die on me early on (high volume?), they very rarely make it past a year.

I also get what youre saying about not getting the performance I want, but coming from a different perspective, seeing where Ive come the last 2 - 3 months or so, theres more that Im hearing from these small tunes Im doing (eq and such) so relatively, its hard to say I wont hear the performance Im wanting, but easy to say that Im hearing more than before as to tune my games correctly.

Beyond that, my logic figures that with (relatively)less-than-optimal cans, if/when I get to the point that I need more detail or clarity or accuracy than they do, Ill be at a point where Ill have pushed the ones I got far enough that the price for better cans can be justified. Like I said, Im coming almost immediately from skullcandy as a favorite brand, so afaik most any of these kinds of cans will be a big improvement already.

And not sure if Im the only one, but I like the idea of progressively upgrading with something im progressively learning (ergo the quality steps up with my skill) if that makes sense. It lets me more accurately identify the changes and understand whatever Im learning more

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #11 of 28
Good headphones are meant to last for decades. I used to own iBuds. I change countless time of it due to one side of the speaker not making anymore sound. So there's this ones, I purchase some better headphones. my first pair of headphone. It works well everything good but not until my friend sat on it and one side of the cable and speaker broke... R.I.P headphone...My present XBA-4 still working perfectly like new ones. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #12 of 28
Taking all this into consideration, I think 199 is the most I can do for headphones along with the E17, so out of the beyer dynamics I see, would the dt770 or 990 pro work best? Both are ~150 but the 880's are ~230. And would the E17 drive those to high volumes? Any other headphones in that price range also welcome.

I was leaning towards AKG for their headphone design (I would think it'd break less and be more comfortable) but Im finding AKG is generally lacking in bassas wells as highs, which is in opposition to at least the music Ill be really listening to with these headphones, besides any monitoring purposes.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:
Taking all this into consideration, I think 199 is the most I can do for headphones along with the E17, so out of the beyer dynamics I see, would the dt770 or 990 pro work best? Both are ~150 but the 880's are ~230. And would the E17 drive those to high volumes? Any other headphones in that price range also welcome.

I was leaning towards AKG for their headphone design (I would think it'd break less and be more comfortable) but Im finding AKG is generally lacking in bassas wells as highs, which is in opposition to at least the music Ill be really listening to with these headphones, besides any monitoring purposes.

I would suggest the $140 budget for the E17 go into the Headphone. The DT770 is excellent and will do what you're describing. The AudioTechnica A900X will as well. I would suggest the E10 as your dac/amp option instead, opening up your budget for the better headphone, like the DT880.

Very best,

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

I would suggest the $140 budget for the E17 go into the Headphone. The DT770 is excellent and will do what you're describing. The AudioTechnica A900X will as well. I would suggest the E10 as your dac/amp option instead, opening up your budget for the better headphone, like the DT880.

Very best,

+1 for this. Fantastic combo for your needs. :)

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #15 of 28
Aaah decisions. Id love the a900x's if it werent for the low impedance, for all else about them.

Im also not sure about jumping past all classes of headphones and going straight into audiophile headphones. Isnt there any noticeable difference going from cheap skullcandy -> ~$100-$150 very nice pair -> $200-$300+ audiophile pair vs skipping the middle? Knowing me, Id realize and appreciate the upgrade more going through the first aforementioned way, and understand audio a lot more whereas jumping into say, those beyer dynamics, from where I am now, all I could say is they sound good and not help but feel jipped because I might not appreciate the difference as much. Is that something to consider/am I making sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back