major Windows Vista flaws
Jan 14, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #31 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You never have overclocked before, have you?
tongue.gif

BTW, those temps are kind of worrisome. Check into blowing out the dust of your comp, or buy an aftermarket cooler and some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound for it.

nope, i just turned it up in the bios settings lol

yeah i think it is getting a bit dusty, havent actually vacuumed it since ive had it, [year and a half]

most overclocking voids warranty so i dont do it, plus theres no real point overclocking my laptops graphic card i hear

Jan 14, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #32 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I know that UAC is pretty easy to disable, but my point is why have it to begin with? It doesn't make you safer, and bothers even n00bs and the computer illiterate. ...

Not sure I agree with you on this one. This way you have to confirm when malicious code wants to do something bad so you do have to give it permission. It gives someone who has taken the time to learn the system the chance to prevent issues. OTOH, if you're saying that the average user doesn't understand what is being asked and will click on anything you put up in front of them if they think it means they'll get to do what they want to do, I'd agree. Still a lot more engineering before Windows becomes the equivalent of a toaster.

Jan 14, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #33 of 88
I have used a Vista/HP C2Duo 1.5Ghz laptop for about a year now. Just did my first format and re-install of the factory image 2 days ago.
It's no different now than before.
I think Vista trades some speed for security. Seems like there is a security update at least once or twice a month.

I think for my next machine I'll try a C2Quad.

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #34 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that UAC is pretty easy to disable, but my point is why have it to begin with? It doesn't make you safer, and bothers even n00bs and the computer illiterate. Trust me, I know this from experience-- I have worked at several major telecomm companies doing tech support / customer service, and ALL of our callers hated UAC. All of them.

"Are you sure you want to go to the Control Panel? OK. Wait, now that you confirmed that you want to do this, Windows still needs your permission to continue." It's a ridiculous illusion of security that just wastes mouse clicks and sanity.

It does make you safer. You cannot move files to certain directories unless you okay it (like program files or windows folder). Essentially, a sandbox. Hit no, and it will not install, or move to a protected directory. There are no ways around the prompt (Secure Desktop is on a different 'layer', and programs can't interact with it). Disabling uac is the biggest security mistake you will make.
It also stops being so annoying after a while. There are NO security prompts asking if you want to go to control panel. Certain changes do require a UAC prompt.

It's not an illusion. It works.

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #35 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does make you safer. You cannot move files to certain directories unless you okay it (like program files or windows folder). Essentially, a sandbox. Hit no, and it will not install, or move to a protected directory. There are no ways around the prompt (Secure Desktop is on a different 'layer', and programs can't interact with it). Disabling uac is the biggest security mistake you will make.
It also stops being so annoying after a while. There are NO security prompts asking if you want to go to control panel. Certain changes do require a UAC prompt.

It's not an illusion. It works.

Moreover, if you've ever used Linux or Mac OS, you'll see it has much the same thing. Whenever I install a program on my Mac is asks for my password. UAC is really no different.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #36 of 88
XP? we're talking about Vista in this thread.

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #37 of 88
Vista works perfectly for me and I would submit that less money spent on hardware gets you lower quality driver software as well. With so many different hardware combinations out there, it is ludicrous to say things like "Vista sucks, Same stuff different look, blah blah blah). Seems to me that its always the same people trying to save money on computer equipment (499.99 for a complete desktop) are always the same ones bitching.

Please make a long list of cheap computers that work well and how your expensive one doesnt and therefore cheap computers are better, that will be so fasinating.

For the poster, you posted this and don't even know if the video drivers are up to date? How bout the laptop drivers? Windows update? Security software? Any software? Have you removed all the garbage the manufacturer installed? Have you run the cleaning utility and defrag? Are all your browser plugins updated?

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #38 of 88
I've also had trouble with usb flash drives on Vista. Seems to have issues reading the thing, for I don't know what reason. Some of the files in the root directory copy fine, but the ones in folders stop at that pop up window which calculates how long it'll take. Stops as in nothing copies, I think I read there were issues with the time calculation, but I don't care whether the time it says is right or wrong, I just want to be able to copy the files. Othertimes, maybe it'll do that for a bit, or just having that drive pulled up in my computer, it'll become unreadable.

A few of the times I just unplugged it from the computer without doing the "safely remove hardware." For however many times I did that, I have that many "removable drives" show up upon boot up. To get rid of them, I do safely remove hardware- once. And all..4 or 6 of em go away.

I'm fairly new to vista, so if there's an easy fix for this, please inform me. Not saying "omg vista is bad," but hoping to gain from an opportunity to get things working since there are a considerable amount of more knowledgeable users here than me.

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #39 of 88
Personally I've worked on quite a few Vista computers and the main issues I have seen crop up are due to 1) inadequate hardware and 2) excessive preloaded bloatware. I will not argue that Vista has hefty hardware requirements but in my experience, as long as you fulfill them Vista works smooth as butter, and in fact the improvements "under the hood" are actually reassuring (UAC is definitely a step in the right direction, as long as it's run in quiet mode).

To be honest, the endless mac vs windows argument is pointless. I can do things on a mac that I can't on a windows system, and vice versa. How does the opinion that one is worse than the other going to change that fact?

TheMarchingMule: I completely agree.

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #40 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Show me a 5 year old mac selling for good money.

Mm, that reminds me; a few months ago, somebody on OCN (overclock.net) was giving away his G4, provided that the taker would pay for shipping.
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #41 of 88
My Windows Vista computer is broken too. It does not crash all the time, it does not make all of my peripherals obsolete, and it does not have lots of errors and other quirks...oh wait, I have Windows XP. Nevermind.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #43 of 88
Jan 15, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #44 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mm, that reminds me; a few months ago, somebody on OCN (overclock.net) was giving away his G4, provided that the taker would pay for shipping.
tongue.gif

It was probably a low end G4 tower, which was made in 1999-2001 sometime. Yep, those aren't worth much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back