major Windows Vista flaws
Jan 15, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #46 of 88
If Windows in all it's forms are so bad, why is it all the Mac users are so keen to trumpet the fact that their machine can run it.. (provided they don't mind payiong extra for it).

And the ONLY reason Windows PC users can't run OSX is Apple won't allow it.

Can you imagine if MS put checks for Apple hardware into windows to stop it running.. outrage!

OP: check to see if the flash drive is being used as a readyboost cache.. that would eat up a bunch of the stick right there..

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #47 of 88
Ah, it isn't bad at all if you tweak it a little!
Re-install, set L2 cache, set "kernel always in RAM", set Windows Search (the indexer) to disable, set HDD's to "improve preformance" and viola, you got a top preformer!
I'm running it on a Dual Core 3,2Ghz with 4GB RAM, and it's flawless, no hang ups or slowdowns, just pure preformance.

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #48 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, it isn't bad at all if you tweak it a little!
Re-install, set L2 cache, set "kernel always in RAM", set Windows Search (the indexer) to disable, set HDD's to "improve preformance" and viola, you got a top preformer!
I'm running it on a Dual Core 3,2Ghz with 4GB RAM, and it's flawless, no hang ups or slowdowns, just pure preformance.

Reminds me!!!

Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Vista SP1
The OP mentioned constant harddrive thrashing, I noticed this update Download details: Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Vista SP1 (KB940157) that I have since deleted and and marked to not show up on microsoft update, can cause that. If you have it then get rid of it and see how things go.

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #50 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im glad i have an apple 2e sitting in my room. The point i was trying to make is now it is what OS you like. Both PC's and Mac's can do the same shiz now. Cept you have fanboys on mac side going OMG WINDOZ BLOWs and PC fanboys going OMG MACS BLOWZ PC RAWKS and Linux people going OMGYOUBOTHARERETARDED!

Funny, I like that one Dan.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #52 of 88
I'd probably pick vista based on mule's pics. foooooooo

come on guys..3-4 pages of bickering. This thread emulates some of the crap I used to see on the cables forum.

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #53 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gib conime.exe just stick to one keyboard layout if you dont need it, gets its hooks into plenty of media files and thumbs

What? This sounds intriguing but it's illegible in your current phrasing.

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #54 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except I actually have a point. Getting OSX on a typical PC is hard...

Wrong...people are putting out premade distros with pre-slipstremed drivers. I literally downloaded a leo4all iso and had it up and running on my desktop within 45min total. I didn't have to do anything. Full video support, audio, etc. My laptop was a bit more tricky, but only because I tried it right when it came out. Those problems are fixed now.

I tried to live with OSX for 30 days as a bet with a friend and just couldn't do it. After five days I went back to vista and haven't looked back since. It's a good OS, just not for me.

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #55 of 88
Did your wifi card work? And audio worked? And again, it is not 'that easy', you needed to spend how long to research which premade distro to download, and you had to figure out What a 'preslipstreamed driver'. That is hardcore geek talk man, props for getting it to work, but that is NOT 'easy'.

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #56 of 88
Wait, this is the guy that thinks GTAIV is a fantasy game. Nevermind. Sure dude. It's easy. Whatever you say.

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #57 of 88
Quote:

Did your wifi card work? And audio worked? And again, it is not 'that easy', you needed to spend how long to research which premade distro to download, and you had to figure out What a 'preslipstreamed driver'. That is hardcore geek talk man, props for getting it to work, but that is NOT 'easy'.

On the laptop the wifi didn't initially but it does with the latest release. And I mentioned audio worked.

You are correct about the research to find the proper distro. But I don't consider that hard:

1. Google
2. best hackintosh for (insert motherboard here)
3. download

It's not hardcore geek talk at all really. The setup was 100% self contained, step by step. It installed exactly like any other program. Just a series of pop up menu's with "click here if you have this wireless card, click here if you have this audio card", etc.

No, my mother couldn't do it, but anyone on this forum sure could.

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #60 of 88
Quote:

That's a fantasy OSX version, since it isn't on a real Mac.

What exactly defines a real mac? Surely it isn't the identical hardware?

Must be the 60% profit margin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back