major Windows Vista flaws
Jan 19, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #78 of 88
I've just deleted more than 70 posts that were off topic, personal attacks, troll like and feeding troll like posts. Either stay on topic or don't post. Any trolls that post and any one that responds to the troll, instead of reporting the post will receive a warning and/or a ban.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #79 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reminds me!!!

Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Vista SP1
The OP mentioned constant harddrive thrashing, I noticed this update Download details: Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Vista SP1 (KB940157) that I have since deleted and and marked to not show up on microsoft update, can cause that. If you have it then get rid of it and see how things go.

Anyone try this yet?

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #80 of 88
Reformat and install the Windows 7 beta?
icon10.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #81 of 88
i do have one problem that i cant seem to figure out, was wondering if anyone had any insight?

i need to add a printer and when i go to add one, i get denied with the following message:

"Restrictions

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

which is odd because i'm the only user on this laptop as the admin.

i'm running vista home premium sp1 and have no other printers installed. i have uae or whatever turned off.

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #82 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i do have one problem that i cant seem to figure out, was wondering if anyone had any insight?

i need to add a printer and when i go to add one, i get denied with the following message:

"Restrictions

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

which is odd because i'm the only user on this laptop as the admin.

i'm running vista home premium sp1 and have no other printers installed. i have uae or whatever turned off.

Can you turn UAE back on and try it?

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #83 of 88
i turned off uac and i still could not add printer the normal way. however, there was a context menu item that i had not seen before, it was 'Run as administrator" which then had the option of adding a printer, which i thought was rather redundant but i was then able to add a printer with no problems. i find uac quite annoying so i would rather keep it off. is there anyway that i can get the 'run as administrator' option with uac off??? i don't understand why i cant add a printer with the protection crap off in the first place...

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #84 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i turned off uac and i still could not add printer the normal way. however, there was a context menu item that i had not seen before, it was 'Run as administrator" which then had the option of adding a printer, which i thought was rather redundant but i was then able to add a printer with no problems. i find uac quite annoying so i would rather keep it off. is there anyway that i can get the 'run as administrator' option with uac off??? i don't understand why i cant add a printer with the protection crap off in the first place...

A lot of programs wont run properly with it turned off.

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #87 of 88
Okay, i've updated all of the device drivers; audio, mobo/system chipset, the integrated gfx card drivers etc. Also updated to the newest BIOS
smily_headphones1.gif
As I said before some processes and/or programs I don't want to remove since it's not my PC at all, and i've wanted to make sure she's 100% sure on that (long story lol) but I am in the process of disabling some Services and other processes that don't need running (WMP Sharing, Java Update Scheduler etc). I haven't tried browsing that CD again but I will soon and see what happens. Overall the drivers did help (duh) but I still don't understand what's with the constant HDD usage. I just installed the newest versions of Java, Flash, and Macromedia (very minor as far as software installations go), and the HD was literally thrashing for 15-20 minutes afterwards. Not only is that ridiculous and unnecessary but it's going to lower the life of the HDD (think of MTBF and the highly increased number of I/O and Read-Write operations this Vista system is performing versus a comparable XP system).

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #88 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, i've updated all of the device drivers; audio, mobo/system chipset, the integrated gfx card drivers etc. Also updated to the newest BIOS
smily_headphones1.gif
As I said before some processes and/or programs I don't want to remove since it's not my PC at all, and i've wanted to make sure she's 100% sure on that (long story lol) but I am in the process of disabling some Services and other processes that don't need running (WMP Sharing, Java Update Scheduler etc). I haven't tried browsing that CD again but I will soon and see what happens. Overall the drivers did help (duh) but I still don't understand what's with the constant HDD usage. I just installed the newest versions of Java, Flash, and Macromedia (very minor as far as software installations go), and the HD was literally thrashing for 15-20 minutes afterwards. Not only is that ridiculous and unnecessary but it's going to lower the life of the HDD (think of MTBF and the highly increased number of I/O and Read-Write operations this Vista system is performing versus a comparable XP system).

Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Vista SP1
The OP mentioned constant harddrive thrashing, I noticed this update Download details: Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Vista SP1 (KB940157) that I have since deleted and and marked to not show up on microsoft update. This update can cause the harddrive thrashing. If you have it then get rid of it and see how things go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone try this yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back