Mainboard Coax Input, how?
Mar 21, 2022 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

amigastar

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

i have a question, i have a Gigabyte B560M Aorus Elite mainboard and i want to connect my Resonessence Concero through a Coaxial Cable to the mainboard.
Which input do i use? Do i use the Line In (Blue) or Line Out/Front Speaker Out (Green) on the back of the motherboard since i don't see a dedicated Coax Jack? See picture below.

The manual of my motherboard classifies the inputs like this:

Line In (Blue) The line in jack. Use this audio jack for line in devices such as an optical drive, walkman, etc.

Line Out/Front Speaker Out (Green) The line out jack.

connectivity.jpg

thanks

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 19
As the Concero is a DAC, connecting it to a input won't do.
As it is a Digital to Analog Converter, connecting it to a analog output won't work either.
If you don't have a SPDIF output, use USB.
Sorry but what ya mean, my Concero has a Coax input The power comes from the usb as far as i know and green and blue jacks are digital not analog. I really wanted to try this out. Does my motherboard not support something like a coax input?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 19
Mar 21, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 19
Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 19
Hope you don't fry anything
oh, that would be awful :frowning2: now i'm scared lol
Although i did try the green and blue input with my old coax cable (i've ordered a new one) and it accepted it and gave me options in a menu. So maybe it works, we'll see.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 19
One of the back connectors is both 3.5mm analog out and also optical SPDIF. It's actually called Toslink, and thats the kind of cable you need/

Mar 22, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 19
Last edited:
Mar 22, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #13 of 19
I had to look this up. That device has a USB input, why are you not using it?
Idk, i thought Coax Cable might sound better, i've read the Story of Schiit and Mike Moffat stated that USB is inferior so i wanted to try another input.
Thanks for the link. I think this is the device i'm looking for.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 19
You need an SPDIF OUTPUT on your motherboard which it doesn't have (like other posters have said). Before motherboards have those (mostly TOSLINK rarely COAX/RCA). Mine has it. BUT it has been mostly dropped in favor with other connections (more USB, Thunderbolt, HDMI, DIsplayport).

Like this on the new MSI Z690 motherboard

81-PvRDm6NL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If not, (as others have notted) you need a USB to SPDIF converter or DDC (Digital to Digital Converter). There are lots out there, like this one.

Douk-Audio-U2-Mini-XMOS-XU208.jpg

On the meantime use your USB connection. USB when implemented properly is very good too. Chord and Sonore believes on it. So IDK. Problem with optical is that it can go upto DSD128 only. I use I2S. It gives me the advantages of both worlds BUT it introduces other negatives (standards/configs). Thinking back to go to USB (less connection problems like SPDIF) and use a very good hub chip based regenerator/reclocker (to filter unwanted noise/interference). You could go to this type of solution too if you want USB connection.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #15 of 19
You need an SPDIF OUTPUT on your motherboard which it doesn't have (like other posters have said). Before motherboards have those (mostly TOSLINK rarely COAX/RCA). Mine has it. BUT it has been mostly dropped in favor with other connections (more USB, Thunderbolt, HDMI, DIsplayport).

Like this on the new MSI Z690 motherboard

If not, (as others have notted) you need a USB to SPDIF converter or DDC (Digital to Digital Converter). There are lots out there, like this one.

On the meantime use your USB connection. USB when implemented properly is very good too. Chord and Sonore believes on it. So IDK. Problem with optical is that it can go upto DSD128 only. I use I2S. It gives me the advantages of both worlds BUT it introduces other negatives (standards/configs). Thinking back to go to USB (less connection problems like SPDIF) and use a very good hub chip based regenerator/reclocker (to filter unwanted noise/interference). You could go to this type of solution too if you want USB connection.
Hello,

thank you but i have a question. Doesn't a USB to SPDIF converter destroy the whole idea of having a pure digital output like Toslink or Coaxial Output with the fact that it still uses USB to connect to the PC and the USB input produces jitter?
I greatly appreciate your help guys.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back