Main unamped 'phone for a variety: Beyer DT 880, Grado 225, Grado 325, HiFiMan HE-400, or other?
Jun 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #61 of 79
That's what I'm noticing with more time spent: they do serve different songs different ways. Love the Grados for old Otis Redding and Stax stuff, love the K550s for the really pristine stuff, like Pink Floyd. I guess I DO need two, right? And while my wife has a great ear and can totally tell the difference, she prefers her Bose OEs because they're comfy. She knows they're crap, but are perfect for long correcting sessions (she's a teacher too).

Jun 2, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #62 of 79
Quote:
Oh, and while I want accuracy, I don't quite want the boring sound of the HD280s I have. A little TOO accurate, perhaps?

HD25 ii maybe?

My personal favorite headphone directly out of a device...

Jun 2, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #63 of 79
Quote:
Good call on the Junior Wells. He's a favorite, and the stuff he did with Buddy Guy is killer. I'm also a huge Magic Sam fan, and Peter Green Fleetwood Mac sounds AWESOME on these cans...

I'm excited to hear the Grados! I wonder how the sound is going to be different, and if they'll benefit more or less from amplification?

All headphones benefit from amplification, and Grado is no exception.  They do well with little amplification, but begin to open up with a little power added.  My HF2s are a prime example of that...

Jun 5, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #65 of 79
Sadly, I've returned these beautiful monsters. Sounded wonderful IF I could get a good seal. I have an absolutely enormous head (XXL) but the seal would always break when using glasses. Also if I moved. Also if I breathed too strongly. You get the picture. Also, the highs just seemed so darn strident. I got some Grado SR-80i's at the same time, and although they were 1/3 the price, they were just more my cup of tea. Less fussy, and the bass was comparable. I appreciate all the help, though!

I think I'm going to be looking at the Philips Fidelio L1's or the Sennheiser Momentum. Any thoughts?

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #66 of 79
I finally figured out how to get a good fit. Wouldn't hold for doing housework where doing bending; otherwise, it is fine. But sorry it didn't work out for you.

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #67 of 79
Quote:
Sadly, I've returned these beautiful monsters. Sounded wonderful IF I could get a good seal. I have an absolutely enormous head (XXL) but the seal would always break when using glasses. Also if I moved. Also if I breathed too strongly. You get the picture. Also, the highs just seemed so darn strident. I got some Grado SR-80i's at the same time, and although they were 1/3 the price, they were just more my cup of tea. Less fussy, and the bass was comparable. I appreciate all the help, though!

I think I'm going to be looking at the Philips Fidelio L1's or the Sennheiser Momentum. Any thoughts?

Oh thats too bad. But, you can look at the Beyerdynamic DT770 or the Audio Technica ATH A900X.

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #68 of 79
So I got the Sennheiser Momentums today. Absolutely amazing - I thought they were a total "flavor-of-the-month", but I assure you they aren't. It's just like Tyll said on InnerFidelity: they excel at nothing, but do amazing at everything. Not as flat on the response curve as the AKG's, but much more pleasant to the ear, and still quite detailed. AKG's are ultimately a LITTLE better on detail and soundstage, but with amazing comfort and building quality and overall pleasantness of sound factored in, the Momentums are just much better for someone like me: a tired teacher looking for a fun listen. I'll write a review later!

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #69 of 79
You should have gotten the Sennheiser HD600 instead. They are one of the best headphones that you can buy with $400 and nowadays, you can even find them for $300 new. Since you have an amp, it should sound great. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #70 of 79
Thanks, lin0003, for the comment that adds little and tries to make me feel bad about the headphone I currently feel really good about. Very constructive. Are you sure you aren't one of my ninth-grade students?

Please, next time perhaps phrase your strong assertions in a way that doesn't make you look so aggressive.

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #71 of 79
Quote:
Thanks, lin0003, for the comment that adds little and tries to make me feel bad about the headphone I currently feel really good about. Very constructive. Are you sure you aren't one of my ninth-grade students?

Please, next time perhaps phrase your strong assertions in a way that doesn't make you look so aggressive.

I didn't try to sound aggressive, sorry. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #73 of 79
Quote:
So I got the Sennheiser Momentums today. Absolutely amazing - I thought they were a total "flavor-of-the-month", but I assure you they aren't. It's just like Tyll said on InnerFidelity: they excel at nothing, but do amazing at everything. Not as flat on the response curve as the AKG's, but much more pleasant to the ear, and still quite detailed. AKG's are ultimately a LITTLE better on detail and soundstage, but with amazing comfort and building quality and overall pleasantness of sound factored in, the Momentums are just much better for someone like me: a tired teacher looking for a fun listen. I'll write a review later!

Sennheiser, I'm finding, is starting to produce "fun" headphones.  HD25/Amperiors, and Momentums are very enjoyable listens, and deal with things like weak sources, poor recordings, and lousy listening environments very well.  I'm glad you enjoy them.  I do too...

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #74 of 79
Quote:
Hey there!

There is no isolation and sound will leak in and out of the headphone. If going outdoors, look at closed headphones instead. If using your headphones indoors, by all means, open headphones will work 100%. 

yup..i tried that walking around NYC with Grado SR125's; all but useless every noise gets in. I use my SR125's at home unamped with my iMac, but i did take teh plunge and buy Audirvana+, made a hge difference even w/o an amp.
If that helps at all.

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #75 of 79
Quote:

Great choice, hope you enjoy them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back