Magni 3 Impressions
Feb 20, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #1,443 of 2,593
I can't recall from earlier discussions whether or not the Magni 3 makes that annoying pop upon start up. I had both original Magni & Magni 2U and they did this. Got rid of them because of this. My Vali 2 does this as well.

I have the Magni 3 and Modi 2 Multibit and have not noticed any popping at startup. Source is a 2012 MacMini via USB, and the Magni 3 is a pre-amp for Audioengine 2+ speakers. No popping when pulling out the headphone jack, switching to speakers on the fly.

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #1,444 of 2,593
I have the Magni 3 and Modi 2 Multibit and have not noticed any popping at startup. Source is a 2012 MacMini via USB, and the Magni 3 is a pre-amp for Audioengine 2+ speakers. No popping when pulling out the headphone jack, switching to speakers on the fly.

Good to know about no popping with the Magni 3. Original and Magni 2 were bad for that.

My Vali 2 does it too, however just yesterday I inserted it into my Bimby/Jot setup as a preamp to the Jot. The Jot takes longer to go through it's protection circuitry than the V2 so I no longer hear the Vali2's pop. The Vali 2 as a preamp has also improved my setup...good things all around.

Feb 20, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #1,448 of 2,593
Ok. I have the combo, and I can say that they work well together. The only solid state amp I compared it to was a 2005 Headroom Micro Amp. The micro amp was thin and dull compared to the Magni 3. My only other amp is a Vali 2, and it offers a little different sound - different, not better or worse.

Vali 2 seems more lush and gentle, taking the harder edges off of some sounds. It also, at least to me, has a larger soundstage. Magni 3 does a little better with details and adds the right amount of warmth so as not to be labeled a “clinical, overly analytical SS amp.”

Of course, all that is based on my ears. Not sure if it makes a difference, but my Magni 3 only has about 20 hours of playtime, where my Vali 2 is probably closer to 100 hours.

Feb 20, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #1,449 of 2,593
Ok, I'm looking to get either the Magni 3 or Vali 2 but I just need to know if the Magni 3 has the same sort of soundstage as the 2 does? I have the Magni 2 that I pair with my Modi Multibit and it just sounds to closed in for me most of the time. Even though my Fiio K5 isn't as clean sounding it does have a better soundstage so that's what I'm using at the moment. I would be using my original Vali but it has a small channel imbalance which sucks because it sounds the best out of all my amps, and that's why I'm leaning toward the Vali 2. If the Magni 3 has a bit larger soundstage then the 2 I think I'd go that way because of the clarity it offers. If anyone has listen to both please let me know your thoughts.

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #1,450 of 2,593
Ok. I have the combo, and I can say that they work well together. The only solid state amp I compared it to was a 2005 Headroom Micro Amp. The micro amp was thin and dull compared to the Magni 3. My only other amp is a Vali 2, and it offers a little different sound - different, not better or worse.

Vali 2 seems more lush and gentle, taking the harder edges off of some sounds. It also, at least to me, has a larger soundstage. Magni 3 does a little better with details and adds the right amount of warmth so as not to be labeled a “clinical, overly analytical SS amp.”

Of course, all that is based on my ears. Not sure if it makes a difference, but my Magni 3 only has about 20 hours of playtime, where my Vali 2 is probably closer to 100 hours.

I can confirm just about all of this. I had a Modi Multibit & Vali 2 for several months before the buying the Magni 3 shortly after release. I sold my Vali 2 and am still using the Magni 3. To me, this combo handles all of my headphones with ease and sounds great.

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #1,453 of 2,593
Would you say that the treble or highs are recessed at all? How do you have the Modis connected to your computer?
PC [USB] Eitr [Digital Coax] Modi 2 MB [RCA] Loki [usually bypassed] [RCA] Magni 3
I guess there's probably some roll-off in the upper region, but nothing that makes me think I'm missing out on anything. To my ears, it is a pretty balanced, inviting sound - no fatigue or anything like that.

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #1,454 of 2,593
I use the Magni 3/Mimby stack regularly as my main headphone listening system, using the Sennheiser 600 ohm HD540 Ref1s and occasionally the HE400S. They are a brilliant combo! Smooth and even from top to bottom, neither bright nor dull, music is full of rhythm and life and quite extraordinary detail - the M3 is a very capable amplifier way above it's station! The better your source the more you will hear, I am often astonished at it's level of image focus in clean pure space, I've often discovered new details in familiar tracks that have left me wide-eyed in surprise, with or without the Mimby (direct from the QP1R). Big open virtually 3D soundstage with the Ref1s, as listed below. Intimate sound with vocals that sound like real flesh and blood human beings. That includes the harder to reproduce backing vocals and those out to the sides of the soundstage, they are just as real as the central voice(s). That says a lot about the Mimby as well! QP1R DAP as source. The others, including the MacBook Pro are not as ultimately pristine, pure and quiet, though still great to listen to. Absolutely no listening fatigue.
I've had the M3 around 2 months and the Mimby at least three weeks of almost constant use, so they're well run in. No clicks, pops, dodgy pots, no issues. Everything just works perfectly.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #1,455 of 2,593
Yeah for only $99 I just don't see any real downside to getting the M3 so I guess I'll go ahead and order mine now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back