Magni 3 Impressions
Jan 22, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #1,261 of 2,593
iPhone 6 Plus
I had a question regarding using the magni 3 as a standalone amp on my nightstand with my iPhone 6 Plus as the source. Could I simply use the iPhone cck camera adapter (lightning to USB female), then connect the magni 3 to that with an rca to USB male cord?

Would this prevent double amping while allowing me to use the dac in my iPhone 6s?

Ok, no you would not use a CCK, since the Magni is an amp and ususally you use cck to connect to a dac or dac/amp combo. Since the 6 plus has a headphone jack, you could get a mini stereo plug to two male RCAs cable and run that into the Magni. Yes, you would be double amping but it is not as bad as people would have you believe. Just run the volume on the iphone at about 90% or so (whatever sounds best) and control the volume from the Magni. This way you could run harder to drive headphones.

Jan 22, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #1,262 of 2,593
Have you ever seen an RCA to USB cord? There is no such thing. Well, there is - it's called a DAC, they typically have both USB and RCA ports.
What do you mean by double-amping? Each DAC has an amplifier in it to bring the signal to the level so the external amplifier can amplify it further. I wouldn't worry about it and connect the Magni 3 to headphone-out on your phone. If it has headphone-out. I am not an Apple person.
Bang on, there. Either use the iPhone headphone adapter to a 3.5mm-to-Dual RCA into the Magni, or the apple camera adapter into a DAC, and THEN to the Magni...

#alpovs put it well, saying that a USB-to-RCA cord/adapter Isa DAC. Magni must have analogue input, only way to get there from usb is via a DAC.

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #1,263 of 2,593
My only concern is that I'm used to my Fiio E17's EQ feature and the Magni 3 won't have this. This is a great feature since Apple products don't have a standard EQ and instead have silly presets. I'm hoping that the trade off will be that the Schiit amp's clean AC power will be superior to FiiO.

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #1,267 of 2,593
@loki993, while I haven't heard the NFB-11 I've heard a few other AudioGD DACs/amps and there are pretty good to great IMO but I'm still on the fence about owning any due to warranty concerns and already having too many DACs and amps that my GF is getting on my case about "thinning the heard" as she puts it.

Jan 23, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #1,268 of 2,593
This is my first post here, and my first foray into headphones in general. Always wanted some nice cans, and recently got in on the HD 6XX. That being said, I'm trying to figure out the best way to utilize these once I get them.

I'd primarily be using them to listen to audio on my PC. So that being said, I currently have a inexpensive 2.1 powered speaker setup to listen to audio on my PC. There's a 3.5mm that goes into the motherboard/soundcard and I'm set. I'd like to be able to keep those set up and active, and then be able to plug the headphones in, and listen to audio out of those when I want. I'm just having trouble figuring out what would work...

So I'm looking to get the Modi2 Uber/Magni3 combo. I figure I can either use USB or 3.5mm -> RCA from the PC to the Modi 2. Connect the Modi/Magni via RCA. Then I can get a female 3.5mm - > RCA and connect that to the Magni 3. That way I can use the volume knob to change audio levels out of the 2.1 setup. Or would this blow out the speakers since they're powered? Then when I want to use the HD 6XX I can plug them into the Magni 3, get the audio through those, and I'd be set.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #1,269 of 2,593
You'll want to hook up your computer to the Modi with a USB cord, the Modi to the Magni with RCA cables, and then use the RCA pre outs on the Magni to connect your powered speakers. The volume knob on the Magni will control the volume of your speakers. Then whenever you plug your headphones into the Magni it will mute the speakers.

Jan 23, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #1,270 of 2,593
You'll want to hook up your computer to the Modi with a USB cord, the Modi to the Magni with RCA cables, and then use the RCA pre outs on the Magni to connect your powered speakers. The volume knob on the Magni will control the volume of your speakers. Then whenever you plug your headphones into the Magni it will mute the speakers.

Cool. Thanks for the info. For the RCA pre outs from the magni to the speakers....can I do a RCA -> Female 3.55, then just plug the speakers into that? That should work, right? Because the only thing the speakers plug into now is the PC via a male 3.55mm.

Jan 23, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #1,272 of 2,593
After just over a month of owning, the pot on mine has started exhibiting this behaviour where letting it sit in the same position for a day or two gets it "stuck", and it requires moderate pressure to make the first turn after a while. It's also started making an obnoxious scratching noise through one channel as it's turned. This is in addition to the channel imbalance and "dead zone" (small amount of "play") in the pot since day 1. I've since learned that all of these things are fairly common in small analog pots, though some behaviours usually only appear after years of use, and it's probably not a great prospect for the future if they're apparent after a month of normal use.

Wanted to exchange but the owner of the store I got mine from has repeatedly advised me to return for refund rather than trying a new unit in case of disappointment, and in any case Magni 3s are currently OOS. Very sad as I assume my pot is just a particularly defective example, and the amp itself has been such a joy. Game over for now.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #1,273 of 2,593
After just over a month of owning, the pot on mine has started exhibiting this behaviour where letting it sit in the same position for a day or two gets it "stuck", and it requires moderate pressure to make the first turn after a while. It's also started making an obnoxious scratching noise through one channel as it's turned. This is in addition to the channel imbalance and "dead zone" (small amount of "play") in the pot since day 1. I've since learned that all of these things are fairly common in small analog pots, though some behaviours usually only appear after years of use, and it's probably not a great prospect for the future if they're apparent after a month of normal use.

Wanted to exchange but the owner of the store I got mine from has repeatedly advised me to return for refund rather than trying a new unit in case of disappointment, and in any case Magni 3s are currently OOS. Very sad as I assume my pot is just a particularly defective example, and the amp itself has been such a joy. Game over for now.
Um, warranty fix? Even if it's not under warranty, ask the folks at Schiit how much a repair would be...

Jan 23, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #1,274 of 2,593
That would work fine.
My Magni 3 showed up yesterday afternoon, so far it's worked pretty well for me (with several $k of power filtration & Audio components sitting in front of it). Heh,heh,heh...... I don't listen to music on any type of Portable rig , so I"m honestly not that thrilled that my NightHawk & NightOwl headphones are as efficient as they are. They're somewhat a royal PITA to find a Hp amp w/ low enough gain to give me a broader range of fine volume adj. past a 9 o ' Clock volume control setting.

Unfortunately, the Magni doesn't really afford me the range I'd hoped for, but the music noisefloor is impressively very silent with it plugged into my Equi = Tech 1.5Q BPT line conditioner. I removed the LED power indicator as I remove all LED's & Optical inputs from any equipment I have. I need neither one of these in the signal paths of my components. (As an aside, I've done this for years .... just my preference). As I've mentioned this little "David" component's performance hasn't been out of place in a "Goliath" Audio setup.

The really interesting thing about the Magni is that the entire 'Gain Module / Switch" appears to be easily removable from the circuit board. Would anyone have some direction as to what & where on the Circuit Board needs to be removed to eliminate 6db of gain that would give me back at least 1/2 more of the Volume Control for a more usable adjustment range.

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #1,275 of 2,593

I'm wondering if the $99 price point is beginning to translate in QC issues. There have been QC complaints with the $149 Loki too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back