Magni 3 Impressions
Jan 31, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #1,306 of 2,593
Interesting (genuinely) that you find the Magni 3 to be 'warm', I find it incredibly neutral with both my Sennheiser HD540 Ref1s and HifiMAN HE400S. Maybe it's a cable thing too, I use pure silver cables if I'm using the MusicStreamer II+ DAC as a source from the laptop, or an Audioquest Evergreen cable from the DAC of the Questyle QP1R. Maybe the HD650/HD6XX needs a slightly 'crisper' amp to compensate for the HD6...'s natural warmth? I will be fascinated to hear what my HD6XX sound like with my M3 when they arrive in March.
Well,I'm back on the fence again about how I feel about the Magni 3 .

From what I've been reading about the Magni 2,here, it sounds like it might have been a better match for my needs;"more power" is not really something that many listeners using traditional Analog DACs with separate Headphone Amps need as the DAC output is completely sufficient regardless of whatever type headphone is going to be used. Calling 6dB a "Low gain" setting is a bit silly as far as I'm concerned....but the Magni 3 sounds very respectable with the limited amount of Volume control adjustment (8:30 ~ 9 o'Clock setting) available.... So I'm seeing how patient I can be with making "Micro Incremental" adjustments on a Analog volume control.

"Warm, rolled off Analog Sound" speaks "Volumes" to myself. (You really don't want to know how "Artificially boosted" most Digital sounds to me.... calling it Neutral is pretty hilarious to "this old fart") . It's most Source Material people choose to listen to that's "Broken" not the Messenger.

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #1,307 of 2,593

From what I've been reading about the Magni 2,here, it sounds like it might have been a better match for my needs;"more power" is not really something that many listeners using traditional Analog DACs with separate Headphone Amps need as the DAC output is completely sufficient regardless of whatever type headphone is going to be used.

I would argue that. The Fulla series has trouble driving Sennheiser HD6x0/HD800 headphones.

"Warm, rolled off Analog Sound" speaks "Volumes" to myself. (You really don't want to know how "Artificially boosted" most Digital sounds to me.... calling it Neutral is pretty hilarious to "this old fart") . It's most Source Material people choose to listen to that's "Broken" not the Messenger.

I personally think he's overstating it. It's not (to me) like it sounds tubby or rolled off or even tube-y. Not in the least.

But read someone else's opinion: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/schiit-magni-3-affordable-headphone-amp-and-preamp

Or try one. Getting one means you can return it easily (minus the $15 restocking fee). That's not a huge layout to try it, unless you are a starving student.

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #1,308 of 2,593
I would argue that. The Fulla series has trouble driving Sennheiser HD6x0/HD800 headphones.

Heh,heh,heh..........You seriously don't consider the "Fulla" series (which is a "DAC/Amp" combo) a 'Traditional' Analog or 'Component' level DAC do you ? (You honestly have to read all the words between the lines)

I personally think he's overstating it. It's not (to me) like it sounds tubby or rolled off or even tube-y. Not in the least.

But read someone else's opinion: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/schiit-magni-3-affordable-headphone-amp-and-preamp

Or try one. Getting one means you can return it easily (minus the $15 restocking fee). That's not a huge layout to try it, unless you are a starving student.
In case you haven't been following the thread..... I have a Magni 3..... & by "on the fence" I'm not saying I don't like it. I'm saying it could be a bit less geared toward only "New Tech" or "Newbie" users.

New is only new !

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #1,309 of 2,593
Jan 31, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #1,310 of 2,593

From what I've been reading about the Magni 2,here, it sounds like it might have been a better match for my needs;"more power" is not really something that many listeners using traditional Analog DACs with separate Headphone Amps need as the DAC output is completely sufficient regardless of whatever type headphone is going to be used. Calling 6dB a "Low gain" setting is a bit silly as far as I'm concerned....but the Magni 3 sounds very respectable with the limited amount of Volume control adjustment (8:30 ~ 9 o'Clock setting) available.... So I'm seeing how patient I can be with making "Micro Incremental" adjustments on a Analog volume control.

Pretty much tend to agree, though this lad would never call 'artificially boosted' digital neutral, not a sound I like, it's why I chose the Questyle QP1R over many of the others. My Senn HD540 Ref1s sound natural, alive and with all parts of the sound balance of the Magni 3 to be equally harmonious, to me that's neutral. Not bright, not rolled off. That's a good way of putting it actually, "The source material 'broken' " :) In fact I love my 600 ohm Senns so much with the Magni 3, I've just sold my Valhalla 2 to buy a Mimby. Listening to the V2 again last night after getting well used to the M3, came as a shock, even with some very nice tubes installed! Despite the wide imaging and relative openness, gone was the utter electrical silence where you could hear a pin drop in an audience, located in precise space, gone the truly natural fine detail that tells me this is a living flesh and blood Being singing into a microphone, the subtle instrument detailing that tells you instantly the difference between cymbals being struck right at the top or two inches away ... I could go on as this applies to virtually all aspects of the M3 with the Senn HD540s. Yes, the V2 has ultimately more power - double actually - but that's all and I get plenty of grunt out of the M3 to listen to virtually anything with a decent range of volume control, anything from 11:30 to 3:30 and the beauty is the sound balance doesn't change, it stays 'neutral' heh heh :) Mimby comes tomorrow.

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #1,312 of 2,593
Do report back once you've had some time with the Mimby-Magni combo.
I shall indeed. Very intrigued to hear how the Mimby works with the QP1R as a silent source (there's no HD as in the laptop, or USB noise)! Excited.

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #1,313 of 2,593
If it is a solid state amp, the sound should remain the same from when you turn it on, until you turn it off. There are no tubes that warm up. It's just an electric signal through a board with transistors and resistors.

I do not find this to be a fact. Asgard for example changes in sound until the natural operational temp is reached. My Jot, when stone cold is harsher.. Think about DACs - the multibit DACs from Schiit are left on to stay at an optimal temp for desired sound quality. I always leave my schiit amp/dac on. Less power cycles, less heat/cool cycles, more reliability - always ready to go :) - There are some that do NOT have this issue. My Ifi iDSD BL sounds the exact same from being turned on to being on for hours.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #1,314 of 2,593

I heard the Magni 2 with my cans just before buying the Magni 3. The 2 is warmer in the upper bass/ lower mids and has less bite in the lower treble, also seems less open overall to me than the new 3. And I also agree that 6db gain is not really low. Running low gain with the Magni 3 and a dac that outputs a standard 2v, I am about at 11 o'clock for listening with HD-600s. Unlike some who prefer the high gain setting, I think it sounds compressed and prefer the dynamic shading of low gain more.

If too little play is found on the volume pot, I really don't think you would lose anything audible if you turn down the software volume (if using a computer) by 1 db or so. I know Foobar does not seem to be throwing away any bits I can hear and it may help with intersample overs.

Trying is pricey from a percentage standpoint. Remember, to Colorado I pay $13 shipping and would lose that and the return $13 shipping plus the $15 restock or $41 total. That is a decent % of the price of the unit, by itself.

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #1,315 of 2,593
The Magni 3 makes modded 6X0 shine bright. However, it does not have enough power to bring out the immense bass the Jot is capable of - on a tight budget though the M3 really does well as a stop-gap.

Feb 1, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #1,317 of 2,593
I do not find this to be a fact. Asgard for example changes in sound until the natural operational temp is reached. My Jot, when stone cold is harsher.. Think about DACs - the multibit DACs from Schiit are left on to stay at an optimal temp for desired sound quality. I always leave my schiit amp/dac on. Less power cycles, less heat/cool cycles, more reliability - always ready to go :) - There are some that do NOT have this issue. My Ifi iDSD BL sounds the exact same from being turned on to being on for hours.

I'll go a step further. I play guitar. I've played many solid state amps over the last 20 years? - NOT ONE has changed in tone/sound due to "warming up". They stay and sound the same, for YEARS. I say this with all due respect, if there is a change, it is either in your head, or something is wrong with the unit. Solid State is solid state. A well designed SS unit should stay the same from instant it turns on, until you turn it off. Saying that SS audio devices will get better in sound quality by warming up, is like saying that the sound will change depending on what brand USB cable you use. - And DAC's being left on to stay at an optimal temp for sound quality?! - Ok, for less power cycles/wear & tear, I can understand that. I leave my interface on all the time as I don't want to burn out the power supply. But sound quality? Bro, its a DAC. A small chip does the conversion. Heat is the last thing that can/will affect a DAC's performance. -

I know there is a psychological effect when you feel when your audio device gets nice and toasty. It goes right to your head, and you think there is a difference. It used to happen to me too. It's kind of like the effect of having 2 speakers that sound EXACTLY the same, but you think the one that is "better" is the one that is more expensive and/or more aesthetically pleasing.

I swear, I really do think we need verified electrical engineers & physics professors to come here and dispel myths. Anybody got Bill Nye's number?

Feb 1, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #1,318 of 2,593
I'll go a step further. I play guitar. I've played many solid state amps over the last 20 years? - NOT ONE has changed in tone/sound due to "warming up". They stay and sound the same, for YEARS. I say this with all due respect, if there is a change, it is either in your head, or something is wrong with the unit. Solid State is solid state. A well designed SS unit should stay the same from instant it turns on, until you turn it off. Saying that SS audio devices will get better in sound quality by warming up, is like saying that the sound will change depending on what brand USB cable you use. - And DAC's being left on to stay at an optimal temp for sound quality?! - Ok, for less power cycles/wear & tear, I can understand that. I leave my interface on all the time as I don't want to burn out the power supply. But sound quality? Bro, its a DAC. A small chip does the conversion. Heat is the last thing that can/will affect a DAC's performance. -

I know there is a psychological effect when you feel when your audio device gets nice and toasty. It goes right to your head, and you think there is a difference. It used to happen to me too. It's kind of like the effect of having 2 speakers that sound EXACTLY the same, but you think the one that is "better" is the one that is more expensive and/or more aesthetically pleasing.

I swear, I really do think we need verified electrical engineers & physics professors to come here and dispel myths. Anybody got Bill Nye's number?

Mike Moffat has stated that his multibit DACs need to warm up to reach optimal operating temperature. I think I'll take his word over yours. Plus the numerous amount of people who have stated that the sound changes as the DACs warm up points to it being a thing. But of course, you are entitled to your "opinion".

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #1,319 of 2,593

My speaker amp is the same from turning on to on for days, so is my iDSD. The difference is easy to tell for my Multibit dacs. Asgard was easy to tell for me as well. Maybe you should try some different gear known to require warmups so instead of assuming you can speak from experience. I don't believe in sub zero frozen cables but I do use shielded cabling, it was a negligible difference in cost so why not. No difference on that front for me though, if I lived near a radio station perhaps it would matter.

Guitar and pro amps are much different than what we are dealing with here. I see your gear listing, which shows nothing that could relate to the other side of your formed opinion.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #1,320 of 2,593
Mike Moffat has stated that his multibit DACs need to warm up to reach optimal operating temperature. I think I'll take his word over yours. Plus the numerous amount of people who have stated that the sound changes as the DACs warm up points to it being a thing. But of course, you are entitled to your "opinion".

Duly noted. I'm still very skeptical about how much of a difference a certain amount of heat going through a resistor is going to make. If someone can point to A/B comparison's, I'd appreciate it.

My speaker amp is the same from turning on to on for days, so is my iDSD. The difference is easy to tell for my Multibit dacs. Asgard was easy to tell for me as well. Maybe you should try some different gear known to require warmups so instead of assuming you can speak from experience. I don't believe in sub zero frozen cables but I do use shielded cabling, it was a negligible difference in cost so why not. No difference on that front for me though, if I lived near a radio station perhaps it would matter.

Guitar and pro amps are much different than what we are dealing with here. I see your gear listing, which shows nothing that could relate to the other side of your formed opinion.

I wasn't going to start putting ALL my gear, or former owned gear, on a headphone forum sig, but I hear what you're saying. I speak from experience, but no, I haven't heard every piece of gear out there. I'm just skeptical about warmup times for certain pieces of kit. Apparently, some DAC's perform best after a full day of warming up. Well, blow me down.

Again, I'd love to hear A/B comparisons of kit COLD vs WARMED UP. Can someone please provide some examples? - maybe YouTube or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back