Magni 3 Impressions
Oct 26, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #2,131 of 2,593
In my case volume is not the issue, power is.
I assume you are considering that the HD540 is 600ohms, I'd suggest a OTL amp that is better designed for higher impedance headphones like the HD540 since while its a power issue for SS amps since many like the Asgard2 put out more power at lower impedance many OTL amps have a much higher power output at higher impedances. A friend that has a HD540 Ref 600ohm loves them with a BH Crack which doesn't put out much even at 600ohms but its a much better pairing than her AudioGD Master 9 (9W at 40ohms, 630mW at 600ohms) and my Lyr2 to her and I'd have to agree the few times that I've tried her HD540 on her system.

Glad you like them treecloud! I'm on the honeymoon with the asgard 2 right now so the magni 3/loki/400i rig is getting no love.
How long before the "honeymoon" ends, LOL, just kidding. I've tried my HE400i with the Dekoni lambskin and to me it was better in some ways (better bass-cleaner and more quantity) but it also made the mids/upper mids a bit too forward for me.

Oct 26, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #2,132 of 2,593
I've tried my HE400i with the Dekoni lambskin and to me it was better in some ways (better bass-cleaner and more quantity) but it also made the mids/upper mids a bit too forward for me.

I did hear something I didn't expect, greater overall clarity, and subtle details I hadn't noticed in familiar tracks. That could certainly be the result of more forward mids and highs. And I don't like an overly bright balance either, but my first impression was the 400S never sounded so good. Will be interesting in context of your comment to listen further.

Oct 26, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #2,133 of 2,593
I did hear something I didn't expect, greater overall clarity, and subtle details I hadn't noticed in familiar tracks. That could certainly be the result of more forward mids and highs. And I don't like an overly bright balance either, but my first impression was the 400S never sounded so good. Will be interesting in context of your comment to listen further.
Note that we are talking about 2 different headphones which do sound a bit different to start with so I'd wouldn't put much weight on my comments in relation to your HE400S and even those with newer HE400i since mine is an older SMC / back plate version which also sounds different from the newer 2.5/3.5mm non back plate versions.
I think I'm going to borrow my friends Magni3 again just to see if pairing it with different DACs has more of an effect on how the Magni3 pairs with various headphones since I only used my Bimby in the pass when I borrowed it and it seems that some of the comments are different from my impressions.

Oct 26, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #2,134 of 2,593
[QUOTE="DavidA, post: 14560636, member: 412652"

How long before the "honeymoon" ends, LOL, just kidding. I've tried my HE400i with the Dekoni lambskin and to me it was better in some ways (better bass-cleaner and more quantity) but it also made the mids/upper mids a bit too forward for me.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure on the honeymoon, maybe until I get the THX AAA Linear Amp since its crazy powerful in balanced while having ultra low distortion and cross-talk? At least on paper it matches my LCD2C much better than the Asgard 2. Its funny that you found the mids too forward with the Dekoni pads. The mid adjustment is the only one I left alone on my magni 3/loki/400i setup. The bass was put to 2:00, midbass to 1:30. Mids left alone, and Treble cranked down to 10:30-11:00. I've got the fenestrated ones though so are different than the normal lambskin plus my 400i is a different batch to yours as well. The fenestrated just gives a hint of more bass while they tame the highs slightly. Besides that pretty much stock sounding imo.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #2,135 of 2,593
I got the Asgard 2 today. I've only listened to it for a few brief 30 minute intervals since I've been busy today, but I've got a pretty decent first impression compared to the magni 3 already. I listened to it cold for a minute or two and it was a bit on the dark side, I then left it on for about 5 hours and came back to it and it perked up alot. I have to say that although the asgard 2 is twice the price of the magni 3, its performance is easily over twice to three times that of the magni 3 IMO. It beats the magni 3 in every way. Vocals are a little more pronounced and the sound stage is pushed further back with much more space and separation. It actually sounds more like you are inside a "personal audio theater" via your head vs the magni 3's overlapping in your ear sound stage.

Its like the difference between open backs and closed backs in sound stage between the two. There is much more sustain on notes in the asgard 2 and the highs are natural and smooth and not at all fatiguing. The Asgard 2 is already my favorite amp with my Audeze LCD2C, and I'm looking forward to just testing out my other headphones on it. I very well might buy a couple more of these since I like the sound signature that much so far. I'll just have to wait for the THX AAA linear amp to get in to make the final decision on that. Its obviously my own personal taste, but the Asgard 2 has a smoothness that's similar to my class A Krell power amp that I really like.

It might be a case of liking what I'm used to and that's why I like the Asgard 2 so much, but to me its miles and miles away from the magni 3 in sound quality. The magni 3 is still a good value at $99, but the Asgard really does punch above its price level when compared to class A amps by well established companies like Krell. Pared with my mimby I'm very pleased. I'd recommend the Asgard 2 to anyone who wants a smooth natural sound that lets you hear everything in the recording without shouting and ice picking certain notes into your head. I've not gotten to yet, but I suspect I could listen to this amp for hours. I've got no hiss or hum as I think some suffer from with this amp, but I'm using the Asgard 2 with an Ebtech hum x on the power line so if there was any ground issues that little gadget fixes it. Very satisfied with this schiit.

Very nice comparison. Thanks. I’m definitely putting the Asgard 2 on my short list to try. I had the Lyr 2 next to the Magni 3, but the Lyr wasn’t any smoother to my ears, and I’m not interested in tube rolling... Also, I’m learning my tastes are changing, and am looking for planar cans vs the dynamics I’ve been listening to exclusively.

Oct 26, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #2,136 of 2,593
Sounds like a grounding issue. The reason disconnecting the RCA's doesn't matter is because it's coming in through the power cord. Try plugging the amp into the same circuit as the DAC. Or consider running the DAC with a battery (power bank).

Here is another suggestion from the Schiit website:
> Got hum? It could be a ground loop. Try a ground loop isolator or EbTech HumX to eliminate it.

I use a Fiio X5iii as a dap which is self powered. I brought an electrician and I was told that the power adaptor has only two pins and thus that could prevent grounding. So I am searching for a new 3 pin power adaptor for Magni 3. If anyone here represents Schiit Audio then please look into this post and help me out with this if it's possible.

Oct 26, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #2,137 of 2,593
Very nice comparison. Thanks. I’m definitely putting the Asgard 2 on my short list to try. I had the Lyr 2 next to the Magni 3, but the Lyr wasn’t any smoother to my ears, and I’m not interested in tube rolling... Also, I’m learning my tastes are changing, and am looking for planar cans vs the dynamics I’ve been listening to exclusively.

I just got through testing my HD6XX vs both my planars on the Asgard 2. Its like the asgard 2 was made for planars, at least mine anyway. The HD6XX was my least favorite headphone on the asgard 2, with the lcd2c and 400i taking 1st and 2nd place. The funny thing is that the magni 3 had almost completely opposite results for me. The HD6XX was my favorite headphone with the magni 3, followed by the lcd2c and the 400i last.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #2,138 of 2,593
The Lyr2 with stock tubes was a bit of a disappointment to me and a few friends who heard it with the stock tubes, a bit bright and a bit harsh in the treble with some tracks but since you are not interested in rolling tubes then the Asgard2 makes more sense but if you are ever considering the HE560 the Lyr2 with some Telefunken CCa tubes is one of my favorite listening combos.

Oct 27, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #2,139 of 2,593
The Lyr2 with stock tubes was a bit of a disappointment to me and a few friends who heard it with the stock tubes, a bit bright and a bit harsh in the treble with some tracks but since you are not interested in rolling tubes then the Asgard2 makes more sense but if you are ever considering the HE560 the Lyr2 with some Telefunken CCa tubes is one of my favorite listening combos.
I somehow quoted you as someone else in my earlier post? Weird... just noticed it...

Oct 27, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #2,140 of 2,593
I use a Fiio X5iii as a dap which is self powered. I brought an electrician and I was told that the power adaptor has only two pins and thus that could prevent grounding. So I am searching for a new 3 pin power adaptor for Magni 3. If anyone here represents Schiit Audio then please look into this post and help me out with this if it's possible.
Is there anything else is in the system besides the Fiio and Magni?

Oct 28, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #2,142 of 2,593
Hi. I currently face an issue of humming that is only audible when the headphone is connected with the Magni 3. The humming is also audible through headphone after disconnecting the dual RCA cable from the amplifier. Humming only happens when headphone is connected with or without the RCA cable. And the humming occurs and stops sporadically. Sometimes there is hum, sometimes there isn’t. I have tried removing all electronic devices away from the amplifier but the humming still occurs. Once the hum occurs, restarting the device also doesn’t help as it goes away only when it has to go away.

I have been through threads on the humming issue on the Magni 3. Has anyone with the same problem found a fix for this?

Hum that comes and goes by itself sounds like there is another electrical appliance that periodically starts and stops, and when it’s running there’s hum. First thought is check if the refrigerator or freezer compressor is running when there is hum.

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #2,143 of 2,593
Hum that comes and goes by itself sounds like there is another electrical appliance that periodically starts and stops, and when it’s running there’s hum. First thought is check if the refrigerator or freezer compressor is running when there is hum.

Refrigerator is running all the time, the hum only happens on its own times. Hum does not happen proportional to the refrigerators in my house

Oct 28, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #2,145 of 2,593
Fridge are plugged in all the time, but compressor kicks in and out as interior temp fluctuates. It wouldn't be the first time the fridge was the source of intermittent hum.
Thanks for responding
So are there any solutions to this or is it normal for Magni 3 to hum intermittently. It keeps coming to me that the unit might be a defective one and as other battery powered amps like the Fiio A5 won't have this issue at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back