Magni 3 Impressions
May 12, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #1,683 of 2,593
How does an Eitr help? If the data coming from the USB is off, how does sending that off data to the Eitr help when it is just taking that off data and converting it to coax output?

I built my PC and have a highly rated clean PSU, run it off a sine wave UPS and my Gigabyte MB has a dedicated USB for DAC use. When not playing music my Modi 2U/Magni 3 is dead silent to my ears. Not sure how a Eitr would help.
Great! Sounds like you won't need to waste any money on an Eitr. Enjoy the music.

May 12, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #1,684 of 2,593
How does an Eitr help? If the data coming from the USB is off, how does sending that off data to the Eitr help when it is just taking that off data and converting it to coax output?

I built my PC and have a highly rated clean PSU, run it off a sine wave UPS and my Gigabyte MB has a dedicated USB for DAC use. When not playing music my Modi 2U/Magni 3 is dead silent to my ears. Not sure how a Eitr would help.

With the Eitr, you're not using the Mimby's USB input. The USB from your PC goes to the Eitr, and the Eitr reclocks it, regenerates it and outputs it as SPDIF/Coax, which then feeds the Mimby. It's just a way to get Schiit's USB Gen 5 tech for the Mimby and, as I said before, the Mimby's USB input is compromised. Its Coax/SPDIF input is far better.

Strange; I read that Eitr is useless with the Mimby since it got it own power supply. To really hear a bit of noise with USB I have to chain my Vali 2 and Magni 3, turn both high gain on, then turn their volume knob a lot.

That's the Wyrd you're thinking of, as it just provides separate, clean USB power for DACs, which the Mimby doesn't need since it generates its own power. The Eitr is a USB to SPDIF converter.

Bottom line is, if you think your system sounds fine without it, then great! You probably don't need it. I bought it because my primary source is my PC and the Mimby's USB input just isn't as good as its TOSLINK/SPDIF inputs and the Eitr's.

May 12, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #1,685 of 2,593
With the Eitr, you're not using the Mimby's USB input. The USB from your PC goes to the Eitr, and the Eitr reclocks it, regenerates it and outputs it as SPDIF/Coax, which then feeds the Mimby. It's just a way to get Schiit's USB Gen 5 tech for the Mimby and, as I said before, the Mimby's USB input is compromised. Its Coax/SPDIF input is far better.

That's the Wyrd you're thinking of, as it just provides separate, clean USB power for DACs, which the Mimby doesn't need since it generates its own power. The Eitr is a USB to SPDIF converter.

Bottom line is, if you think your system sounds fine without it, then great! You probably don't need it. I bought it because my primary source is my PC and the Mimby's USB input just isn't as good as its TOSLINK/SPDIF inputs and the Eitr's.

Oh, yeah you are right indeed I mixed them up. :/

May 24, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #1,688 of 2,593
Can anybody tell me is QP1R good with Shure SE846? I am looking for a DAP and already tried Opus#2, LP5Pro, Fioo 7 mk2 and to my taste all these have not enough bass. I would бе grateful for your advise.
Depends if you mean lots of bass or truly excellent bass quality. I absolutely love the quality of my QP1R and although it may not have gobs of power into the very deep bass, with my HE400S and Focus A pads there is plenty of quality and quantity for me. Tom Jones' What Fool Am I has an incredible tactility to the massive big drum strikes that thunder for the HD400S. But I am not a bass head or EDM freak either and will take quality over sheer thump any day. Not that I'm saying that's how you are :) The review of the QP1R in Enjoy The Music mag was sublime with top class IEMs, I'm not familiar with your Shures. Might this help?

May 24, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #1,689 of 2,593
Depends if you mean lots of bass or truly excellent bass quality. I absolutely love the quality of my QP1R and although it may not have gobs of power into the very deep bass, with my HE400S and Focus A pads there is plenty of quality and quantity for me. Tom Jones' What Fool Am I has an incredible tactility to the massive big drum strikes that thunder for the HD400S. But I am not a bass head or EDM freak either and will take quality over sheer thump any day. Not that I'm saying that's how you are :) The review of the QP1R in Enjoy The Music mag was sublime with top class IEMs, I'm not familiar with your Shures. Might this help?
Thanks, I wouldn't say that I am a bass head and looking for quality and quantity. I have an old high end integrated amplifier SimAudio Celeste 4070 and it has headphone output so I am using it with my Shure SE846 and so far this is the reference sound for me. May be it is not possible to find the DAP with a such quality of sound?

May 24, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #1,690 of 2,593
Thanks, I wouldn't say that I am a bass head and looking for quality and quantity. I have an old high end integrated amplifier SimAudio Celeste 4070 and it has headphone output so I am using it with my Shure SE846 and so far this is the reference sound for me. May be it is not possible to find the DAP with a such quality of sound?
Well look, funny you should mention that, but I had an experience two days ago where my Sennheiser HD6xx actually sounded better through a 20/30W Pioneer amp's headphone jack than it does through my Schiit stack in some respects! That was with a turntable playing into it. I hear you. And that's on old version of that amp, 80's maybe. Even with my first HD650s actually, they just sounded better through the big amp output.
The thing with the QP1R is that the equaliser in it is fine quality too, like everything else about that DAP ..... well, apart from the slightly tricky scroll wheel. It more than makes up for it with superlative SQ and sheer brilliant timing. And it makes a fantastically clean and quiet source, I sold a very good $3500 CD player because it got trounced by the QP1R in most everything that actually mattered.

May 24, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #1,691 of 2,593
I have both the Magni 3 and the iFi Ican SE and both have their strengths. I find the Ican SE is very good for warmth and detail up to a point. It seems more forgiving depending on the input but I felt that there might be more that this really good amp was not relaying in the music. With the Magni 3 I heard exactly what I was missing.

When using a upmoded ifi Mico BL with good interconnects and noise suppression with MQA the Magni 3 crushes it and is in a league of its own! The Magni 3 is more detailed, has better separation of instruments and microdetail. All across the board it sounds better than the Ican SE and it is very noticeable improvement in the sound over the Ican SE in my system.

My system is Computer > Anticable USB > iFi Mico USB 3.0 > Pangea Split USB cable > iFi Mico BL > Anticable 6.2 RCA > Magni 3 > Hifiman Edition X V2
Have a number of iFi 3.0 USB noise suppression, vibrapod vibration dampening and other tweaks to enhance audio quality and noise floor. No snake oil stuff though! :)

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #1,692 of 2,593
I've read a fair number of descriptions of the Magni 3 & 2 sounding compressed or not getting loud enough and had stumbled across this reddit post on the issue. While he seems to have some fundamental misunderstanding of what Jason Stoddard is saying, he's solved his dynamic range issues through modifying his setup.

For those that have/had the issue, what source and ~Vrms was going into it? And has anyone gotten any SPL measurements to rule out actual hardware issues?

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #1,694 of 2,593
I've read a fair number of descriptions of the Magni 3 & 2 sounding compressed or not getting loud enough and had stumbled across this reddit post on the issue. While he seems to have some fundamental misunderstanding of what Jason Stoddard is saying, he's solved his dynamic range issues through modifying his setup.

For those that have/had the issue, what source and ~Vrms was going into it? And has anyone gotten any SPL measurements to rule out actual hardware issues?

I followed a bunch of threads on this when I was first looking at the Magni 3. Right away when I saw the complaints, I knew what the issue was. This also reinforces my opinion about people like DMS3 TV and other YouTube "stars".....They have more money than knowledge. I only watch their vids for basic details and rarely accept their opinions. I am surprised that so many people did not see an issue with double amping. Also where is DMS3 TV's follow up where he admits the issue was because of his lack of knowledge about the amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back