Magnepan 1.7
Dec 10, 2010 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

sennheiserhd485

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone had any experience with this speaker? Also, are magnepans really the greatest, best possible sounding speakers under $2000?

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 60
Euhm. how about Monitor Audio's, Genelec's, Jamo, Spendor, ATC etc. They have some great speaker, but I would never call them 'greatest, best possible sounding speakers under 2000$'.

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 60
I was just deciding between them and a pair of Zu Essence  (as the Zu were on sale for $1999 over black friday weekend).  Ended up going the high efficiency route, but the 1.7's are wonderful speakers (but require a fair amount of power and therefore more expensive to drive with quality power).  They also have to be pulled out from the wall a fair amount to do their best, and possibly a subwoofer depending on room.

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 60
I think the 1.7 will be fine with a 100W good intergrated amp. The Zu will work on low wattage. I think depending on your amp the Maggies may be better sounding but you could always send the Zu back with their return policy.

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 60
That was the approach I was going to take. I may also demo the 1.7s on site if I can. I had picked up a mint barely used First Watt J2 for a really great price, but they need reasonably efficient speakers to drive. I love stat sound which is why the maggies were the first ones I considered (but it's for a 2nd system in a bedroom and the zu's are known for a wide sweet spot and great flexibility in positioning)

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 60
I'm actually going to see some magnepan 1.5 QR SE's next tuesday. I can get a good deal on them, and the whole 'soundstage' that is being said about them has gotten me excited. Soundstage and placement is one of the main things that make my ears believe something is real, which is why I love the K1000's so much.

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #7 of 60

Quote:
Euhm. how about Monitor Audio's, Genelec's, Jamo, Spendor, ATC etc. They have some great speaker, but I would never call them 'greatest, best possible sounding speakers under 2000$'.

Ok, well which of these speakers are the best possible sounding speakers under $2000? I just want to make sure that I get the best possible sounding speakers for my money. There are much better things to do with your money than audio.. 

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 60
I can't answer the question directly. What I will say, however, is that I listened too FrankI's MMG setup and was extremely impressed with them. impressive enough that when I start my two channel system I will base it upon those Maggies. There are plenty of amps out there that will drive those planars properly within a modest budget.

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 60
The best sounding speakers under $2,000 are used Quad ESLs.

Of course, I am horribly biased and the Quads suit my personal tastes quite well. I don't know if they'd suit you. What kind of music do you listen to? What associated gear are you planning to use? What is your listening room like?

Speakers (and headphones) are like buying a suit. Others can point you in the direction of good brands and tailors, but the one that's right for you will be very individual.

Dec 13, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #10 of 60

Quote:
That was the approach I was going to take. I may also demo the 1.7s on site if I can. I had picked up a mint barely used First Watt J2 for a really great price, but they need reasonably efficient speakers to drive. I love stat sound which is why the maggies were the first ones I considered (but it's for a 2nd system in a bedroom and the zu's are known for a wide sweet spot and great flexibility in positioning)

I am not sure what the Pass wattage is but Maggies generally can in a smaller room run with a good 50W amp that will double power into 4ohms. The Maggies love power but they do not ever dip below 4ohms so I know they use a 35W NAD in their lobby to run MMG's. I still have not heard the 1.7 because if I do I will want it and really used all my funds this year for the headphone speaker rig I now have set up.

Dec 13, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #11 of 60

Quote:
The best sounding speakers under $2,000 are used Quad ESLs.

Of course, I am horribly biased and the Quads suit my personal tastes quite well. I don't know if they'd suit you. What kind of music do you listen to? What associated gear are you planning to use? What is your listening room like?

Speakers (and headphones) are like buying a suit. Others can point you in the direction of good brands and tailors, but the one that's right for you will be very individual.

Well said. Important is room size more. Also some require subs some do not. Although many are happy with 50hz bass without a sub.

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #12 of 60

Quote:

Quote:

Ok, well which of these speakers are the best possible sounding speakers under $2000? I just want to make sure that I get the best possible sounding speakers for my money. There are much better things to do with your money than audio.. 

you dont really sound like you're in the right place....haha  

Like uncle erik said, its a very personal thing that we cant give you a simple answer to. 

First you should figure out what kind of sound you like, and what music you'll be listening to. 
What amp you're gonna want to use, or at least what your options are...and what the room these will go in looks like. 
Then look into as many speakers in that price range as you can to see which ones suit all these things above best. 

You should be doing at least that if you're planning on spending two grand on speakers, plus however much more on amps/sources. 
Your attitude leads me to believe you're jumping into this while not wanting to do much research or work yourself.  I'd reconsider if thats the case......

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #13 of 60
Its funny people always think there is such a thing. What is the best car? What is the best piano? What is the best wife? What is the best job? I could go on forever.

What is the best question?

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #15 of 60
I audience Magnepan 1.7.  I'm not sure it's not properly driver or what, but what I heard is, the vocal is a little grainy and a little bit too much upper mids (vocal brightness), so, I don't like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back