Magnepan 1.7
Dec 30, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #47 of 60

Quote:
http://www.avguide.com/article/magnepan-announces-the-new-magneplanar-37-big-brother-the-17

Those look truly amazing but I am just wondering if the MMGs would be acceptable to use...I know they would be a downgrade from the 3.7s but I don't really know how much of a downgrade...I can't spend what the asking price of the 3.7s are.

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #48 of 60

Quote:
Quote:
http://www.avguide.com/article/magnepan-announces-the-new-magneplanar-37-big-brother-the-17

Those look truly amazing but I am just wondering if the MMGs would be acceptable to use...I know they would be a downgrade from the 3.7s but I don't really know how much of a downgrade...I can't spend what the asking price of the 3.7s are.

I have never heard the 3.6 models but I can tell you I am more than happy with the MMG and a sub. I replaced a 4K Revel F30 with the MMG and have not looked back. These are the real deal and for the price cannot be beat IMO and years in playing with some very expensive speakers these have satisfied me and I have not looked to upgrade them as they are that good.

Dec 31, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #49 of 60
What brand of sub do you use?

Jan 4, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #52 of 60

Quote:
Quote:

The thing about the MMGs is that you have a year to upgrade to bigger Maggies if you want more!  A 30 day return policy too, so if you don't like the Maggie sound, you're not at a loss either.

I can't see anything wrong with trying them out to start - especially if you augment them with a sub.

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #53 of 60
Where are you supposed to place the sub? Also, should I get room dampening?

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #54 of 60
I have my sub in the cornet of the left speaker away from it. In my room after spending two weeks of moving it all around that where it ended up best. You need to expermiment with placement. I run my Maggie full range and use the powered sub to fill in the bass set at 50hz crossover . That is where I find it most intergrated. You need to first get the speakers and decide on a sub both HSU and Outlaw are the same subs and OEM in China. I am happy with the Outlaw gear.

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #55 of 60
quick update - I changed the amp driving my 2.5R magnepans, and haven't even hooked up the big outlaw subwoofer yet.

there is a preamp out, and I'll use it eventually, but right now, as the wyred4sound kilowatt amp stretches its legs, the bass is ample for most genres.

the 2.5R is a true ribbon model, a bit older than the 1.6 but compared favorably to the 1.6 in my ears.

my MMGs continue to be driven by an outlaw RR2150 which has a dedicated sub out, and it's a good thing too, the small panels don't dig down as much.

but if anyone here has 1.7 (or any full-size) maggies, try amping them with plenty of current, and you may not even need a subwoofer, unless you get into reggae, funk, etc.

I've been playing cello and bass for more than three decades now, and I know what they should sound like - and I'm happy with my maggies, as I wait for my new Y splitter for the sub :wink:

May 18, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #57 of 60
I currently have Maggie 3.5 with approximately $1,500 worth of upgrades to the Cross-overs (Goertz Air-Core Inductors/Mundorf Capacitors/Audion Capacitors)
I also run a Linn Sizmik 10.25 Sub-woofer.
Setup: Jriver MC18 -> ASIO -> pure silver USB -> V-link192 -> Canare coaxial -> Schiit Gungnir -> HiDiamond / JPS Labs RCAs -> Rothwell attenuators -> Emotiva XPA-1 -> SR teslaplex 
Result is simply jaw dropping SQ across entire freq. spectrum. 
My listening space is about 1000 sq.ft. 10ft ceiling. speakers about 8ft. out from the wall and spaced 7ft.apart. slightly toed in. I listen to mostly classical, chamber, jazz and acoustics.
Soundstage is amazingly wide and deep.. Imaging so precise and holographic.. I sold off almost all my $1000+ IEMs and headphones.  
I used to have Maggie 1.6 and MG12/qr but 3.X series are clear and noticeable upgrade from both of them. I heard 3 to 20 series is not as big jump in technicality as 1.x to 3.x.
Unless I move to new house with smaller listening space I will keep my 3.5 for as long as possible.
With this being said, I do feel there is limitation with Maggies playing some rock musics loud. as well low level listening is lacking compare to Martin Logans I used have.      

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #59 of 60
I personally love Maggies and have had the 1.5, 1.6 and, presently the 3.6.  Just remember that you need to give them space to "breathe" and have to be our from the wall a bit, so their use in a smaller room is not the best.  They do take power and they also don't provide that bass "punch" that's necessary for house, dance, and similar genres.  In that case a sub woofer would help.  But overall, they have a magic and "you are there" realism that I just don't find with other speakers.  Good luck.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #60 of 60
Im actually considering the smaller version of those, like the MMG or the MG12/QR  but im not sure if my Z-5500 can juice them well enought (in theory it says its a 61-62W per satellite at 8 Ohm, so that about 115W per speaker at 4 ohm to the maggies, right?).

I want to get the maggies with the rest of the Z-5500 as a home theater and Gaming audio... just not sure if its possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back