Magic: The Gathering
Aug 20, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #31 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^what is emperor?

I never liked multiplayer much actually... too chaotic for me. What fascinated me was building and streamlining decks for one on one matches, and perfectly adapting to the small "metagame" of my friends and I. Looking at wining tournament decklists is fun, but not always the most effective when playing against friends.

What kind of strategies did you find most effective in multiplayer? Would you normally just do 4 or 5 person free for all?

Did you use "attack limits" where you could only attack left or right to avoid ganging up? That is something one of my friends liked to do, I thought it was a bit artificial but no big deal.

I can't recall all the rules for emperor, aside from the fact that it's three vs. three. Here's a rundown of the rules: Emperor Magic

As far as strategies in general for free for all multiplayer, I found it was most effective to have a deck that could set up some kind of system to control the board in a very general, yet selective way. My most successful multiplayer deck was an white/green Astral Slide deck that focused on setting up an Astral Slide (with Sterling Grove for protection), and then abusing it with cards like Spike Weaver to control attacking and another card whose name I can't recall, but it was something like 1GG, 2/1, whenever it comes into play, return a card from your graveyard to your hand.

It could get a little hairy in the first few turns if someone was playing a particularly aggressive deck and gunning for me, but if I survived 4 or 5 turns I was essentially untouchable and had all the time to finish the game off with an Eternal Dragon or something else ridiculous. I'd be more than willing to PM you the decklist (if I still have it) if you're interested.

My playgroup generally didn't have attacking restrictions, but in hindsight we probably should have experimented with different rules more than we did. After three or four years of the same things every Friday we all just kind of got sick of it and stopped playing.

Aug 21, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #32 of 224
I played a bit of Emporer for fun, but most of the time, we'd just play free for all. FFA or 2 headed giant.

FFA is ridiculously run though. Global control is the only way to win the game. White/Green destroy everything deck. =] And a solid black Mutilate deck with Cabal Coffers.

Aug 22, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #33 of 224
I still play. If you search hard enough, you can find me online bc of it, decklists from decent sized tournaments, etc.

Aug 22, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #34 of 224
oh, OK I actually did play emperor a few times. We didn't play exactly by those rules though, definitely no creature marching.

Astral Slide is a cool card. Unfortunately I never used it in a deck though.

I got out the fog deck I mentioned earlier, really remembering how proud of myself I was when I got this thing together
tongue.gif

x3 Dawnstrider
x4 Spore Frog
x4 Fog
x4 Tangle
x4 Moment's Peave
x3 Lull

x2 Troll Ascetic
x3 Plated Slagwurm
x4 Blanchwood Armor

x4 Naturalize
x3 Creeping Mold
x3 Ground Seal (??)

x4 Isochron Scepter
x2 Welding Jar
x3 Vorrac Battlehorns
x2 Mindslaver

x24 Forest

Pretty much stopped any deck which relied on combat damage to win, and due to the Naturalizes and Creeping Molds didn't even flop to combo decks right off the bat.

Not sure why so many Ground Seals, I guess just for my two friends with reanimation decks.

Mindslaver was pretty fun too if you guys have never had the chance to play with it, really messes up any opponent's long term hopes for a slow victory.

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #35 of 224
Does anyone here read the MTG books?

Aug 28, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #36 of 224
i used to play years ago

i rocked a mean zombie deck (black/white with a mean bottomless vault/drain life combo and all the wonderful graveyard manipulation a good zombie deck is good at) and a solid blue/green big monster deck with my ever popular thorn elemental/(i forget the name of the card but it gives +7/+7 making the thorn elemental (which is already unblockable) +14/+14 when i use it)

not to mention my trusty old black/red "fire and brimstone" deck

i still have all my cards... i could probably get a fair bit of money out of them

May 21, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #37 of 224
Anybody here still play magic?

I played with some friends at uni today, an it brought back the good memories from high school.

I'm currently trying to decide on a deck to buy. I was thinking of buying one of the theme decks from the Planeshift series (Especially the 5 colored domain deck), but some of the newer ones from Coldsnap and Dissension look intriguing.

My strongest deck atm is probably a cleric deck that I built.

I'm trying to find the spectral slam deck atm. Does anyone know where I can get it?

May 21, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #38 of 224
In 1995, me and a bunch of friends were hooked on this game. I eventually built a blue/white control/denial deck. Played once with it. Great deck, very effective, but not worth dodging incoming fists at my face after a match ... fun days
icon10.gif

May 21, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #40 of 224
I only started playing at the beginning of this year but my friends at school are so into it that I ended up building a lot of decks. My favorite deck is my solid green sap token deck. It has 4 doubling seasons and two mycoloths, I think overall the deck ran me a little over $140. I hand picked every single card in that deck and it's fun because there are several ways it can win and it plays very differently every time. I also have a green/white tribal spirit deck that's a lot of fun, a tri color (white, red and green) sliver deck and a nasty blue creature domination deck.

May 21, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #41 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only started playing at the beginning of this year but my friends at school are so into it that I ended up building a lot of decks. My favorite deck is my solid green sap token deck. It has 4 doubling seasons and two mycoloths, I think overall the deck ran me a little over $140. I hand picked every single card in that deck and it's fun because there are several ways it can win and it plays very differently every time. I also have a green/white tribal spirit deck that's a lot of fun, a tri color (white, red and green) sliver deck and a nasty blue creature domination deck.

Why red slivers? The only good slivers for red are homing sliver and heart sliver...neither of which really help win games in the long run. I would dump the red and go with blue slivers (winged and crystalline being the replacements) along with counters to back it up. So, pretty much counter-slivers.

That doubling season/mycoloth deck must be for group games as that combo is slower than molasses. However, in a group game, once it went off, it would go off big. Running any other "fungi" in that deck? Doubling season does fairly well with all the Time Spiral fungus.

Anywho, good to hear that the younger folk are playing...

Nylan

May 21, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #42 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, OK I actually did play emperor a few times. We didn't play exactly by those rules though, definitely no creature marching.

Astral Slide is a cool card. Unfortunately I never used it in a deck though.

I got out the fog deck I mentioned earlier, really remembering how proud of myself I was when I got this thing together
tongue.gif

x3 Dawnstrider
x4 Spore Frog
x4 Fog
x4 Tangle
x4 Moment's Peave
x3 Lull

x2 Troll Ascetic
x3 Plated Slagwurm
x4 Blanchwood Armor

x4 Naturalize
x3 Creeping Mold
x3 Ground Seal (??)

x4 Isochron Scepter
x2 Welding Jar
x3 Vorrac Battlehorns
x2 Mindslaver

x24 Forest

Pretty much stopped any deck which relied on combat damage to win, and due to the Naturalizes and Creeping Molds didn't even flop to combo decks right off the bat.

Not sure why so many Ground Seals, I guess just for my two friends with reanimation decks.

Mindslaver was pretty fun too if you guys have never had the chance to play with it, really messes up any opponent's long term hopes for a slow victory.

Mindslaver seems like over-kill for this deck. However, I realize you may be playing against some serious creature hate, so the slaver isn't a horrible back-up plan.

I built something similar to this deck for a friend of mine, except I splashed white for Holy Day (he couldn't afford Orim's Chant at the time). The decks win-con was howling mine and millstone. I hate playing against it, and usually have to play some really heavy discard in order to win.

May 21, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #43 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody here still play magic?

I played with some friends at uni today, an it brought back the good memories from high school.

I'm currently trying to decide on a deck to buy. I was thinking of buying one of the theme decks from the Planeshift series (Especially the 5 colored domain deck), but some of the newer ones from Coldsnap and Dissension look intriguing.

My strongest deck atm is probably a cleric deck that I built.

I'm trying to find the spectral slam deck atm. Does anyone know where I can get it?

Don't buy anything from coldsnap. The set was made primarily with drafting in mind, so in a constructed deck, the cards aren't all that great. I would lean toward dissension out of the two. Either blue-green or blue-white.

Not sure where you can find that pre-con other than maybe amazon. Is there a card/gaming store near you that sells singles? I find it better to just build the deck, test, and then buy cards.

Nylan

May 21, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #44 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i used to play years ago

i rocked a mean zombie deck (black/white with a mean bottomless vault/drain life combo and all the wonderful graveyard manipulation a good zombie deck is good at) and a solid blue/green big monster deck with my ever popular thorn elemental/(i forget the name of the card but it gives +7/+7 making the thorn elemental (which is already unblockable) +14/+14 when i use it)

not to mention my trusty old black/red "fire and brimstone" deck

i still have all my cards... i could probably get a fair bit of money out of them

Thorn Elemental isn't unblockable, he only assigns damage as though he weren't blocked. Your opponents could still block him, but he would simply assign all 14 damage to the opponent he was attacking. This means that he could potentially be killed with enough blockers. That's why the Thorn Elemental, while good, isn't quite as good as Rhox, who has regeneration to off-set the chance he could be killed in combat.

I'm curious why you splashed white into a zombie deck. Wrath of god, maybe?

May 21, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #45 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't buy anything from coldsnap. The set was made primarily with drafting in mind, so in a constructed deck, the cards aren't all that great. I would lean toward dissension out of the two. Either blue-green or blue-white.

Not sure where you can find that pre-con other than maybe amazon. Is there a card/gaming store near you that sells singles? I find it better to just build the deck, test, and then buy cards.

Nylan

I think the reason I like working from theme decks is because that's how I started, and it seems to work.

I already have heaps of decks, I'm just itching to buy something to add to the collection :p The Spectral slam deck is the one I really want though.

With the green decks that I've played, I've found that they're extremely powerful but cumbersome. The cards are often difficult to play out due to high cost, and so I tend to get owned at the start of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back