Magic: The Gathering
Aug 18, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #16 of 224
I used to play this alllllllllll day in my earlier years at high school, spent all my lunch money on cards as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #17 of 224
I used to play sometimes with a couple of my friends back in middle school and high school occasionally. One of them was about as good as me at putting a deck together (not very good) and we had a few cool matches just between the two of us... the other friend was pretty badass at putting decks together. The one i remember was a goblin deck. I quit shortly after playing with this guy back in HS. Im 23 now and Im in a band with this guy and he actually used to play before i knew him. We haven't really made any plans to bust them out though and try and play... maybe one day

Aug 18, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #18 of 224
I played the game back when The Dark came out. Since there were still lots of cards from the earlier sets floating around, and there weren't 40+ expansions at that time, it was a slightly different game I think. Never had any of the mox's and the 'power 9' or whatever they were called [except ancestral recall which I did own], but played a couple reasonably successfull decks. My favourite was a Khabal Ghoul based deck. This was before the card was re-released, so it took me a while to track 4 down... I think I still have two left. Had a pair of Juzams at the time as well. My most effective deck was probably my bruised [black and blue with a dash of the other colours] control deck... not anywhere near as fun to play though. Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now they just sit in my room doing nothing. I wonder if I can get some money out of them.........

Anyone know of some good card stores where I can get rid of them?

I'd also be interested in knowing what the best way to sell off old cards would be. I'm sure that a lot of it has been rereleased in subsequent sets or restricted from gameplay, but there has to be some value in my box-o-cards.
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #19 of 224
I played from Revised till around Ice Age. Fallen Empires was a horrid series, which then spawned a lot of psuedo-reprint cards, in my opinion. You can only take a green (1)(G) 2/2 bear so many times and they just change the kind of bear. (Grizzly to something else)

I still have a blue/black/artifact deck I miss playing, but all these new expansions and rule tweaks are just too much.

Aug 18, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #20 of 224
anyone play online?

A friend used to have an account he would let me use once in a while, but since then he has sold just about all the cards.

If anyone has a latent mtgo account sitting out there in cyberspace I would love to play around with it a bit
smily_headphones1.gif

too bad you have to buy online cards though, would be fun to play old decks against you guys half a continent or more away.

Aug 18, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #21 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone play online?

A friend used to have an account he would let me use once in a while, but since then he has sold just about all the cards.

If anyone has a latent mtgo account sitting out there in cyberspace I would love to play around with it a bit
smily_headphones1.gif

too bad you have to buy online cards though, would be fun to play old decks against you guys half a continent or more away.

i really wish they would just let you make your own deck, so you could test out decks before buying cards and play against people you can't see in person.

Aug 19, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #22 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i really wish they would just let you make your own deck, so you could test out decks before buying cards and play against people you can't see in person.

There are programs...that are free....where such things CAN and ARE done.

EDIT:http://www.magicworkstation.com/

Nylan

PS: I'll play ya sometime over skype and MWS if ya want. I'm a decent player.

Aug 19, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #23 of 224
I played irregularly from the Tempest block all the way to the Mirrodin and even a little of the Kamigawa stuff. I remember being really disappointed when they changed the card design from the classic style to the new style in the Mirrodin time. I had a really heavy black-red-green deck that used a lot of moving cards through the graveyard, in play, and the hand. I had another pretty much anti-creature red-blue deck that was really fun; I pissed off a lot of people playing with that deck.
biggrin.gif

I'll try to sell my cards to anyone. I have about 40 rares (2 holo rares) and about 1,000 other cards. PM me if you want to buy them from me.

Aug 19, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #24 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I played the game back when The Dark came out. Since there were still lots of cards from the earlier sets floating around, and there weren't 40+ expansions at that time, it was a slightly different game I think. Never had any of the mox's and the 'power 9' or whatever they were called [except ancestral recall which I did own], but played a couple reasonably successfull decks. My favourite was a Khabal Ghoul based deck. This was before the card was re-released, so it took me a while to track 4 down... I think I still have two left. Had a pair of Juzams at the time as well. My most effective deck was probably my bruised [black and blue with a dash of the other colours] control deck... not anywhere near as fun to play though.I'd also be interested in knowing what the best way to sell off old cards would be. I'm sure that a lot of it has been rereleased in subsequent sets or restricted from gameplay, but there has to be some value in my box-o-cards.
biggrin.gif

Seriously. It was a different game back then. I played with a Black/Blue deck with a Lotus and Juzams. Sometimes, I'd just have bad match ups in tournaments, sometimes it'd be a breeze to win.

Sell your cards on ebay. It's the easiest way to get the most money out of your cards. Or you can always mail them to me. I'll put them to good use as I play with my friends for fun here and there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I played from Revised till around Ice Age. Fallen Empires was a horrid series, which then spawned a lot of psuedo-reprint cards, in my opinion. You can only take a green (1)(G) 2/2 bear so many times and they just change the kind of bear. (Grizzly to something else)

I still have a blue/black/artifact deck I miss playing, but all these new expansions and rule tweaks are just too much.

Werebear was seriously an awesome card. 1 colorless 1 green, 1/1 tap to add 1 green to your mana pool with threshold (as long as you have 7 or more cards in your graveyard, Werebear gets +3/+3). Fit in perfectly in my white/green land destruction deck. Well, it was a Thermokarst/Armaggedon deck with dual lands, artifacts for mana, and Wrath of Gods. It was a hell of a fun deck to play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone play online?

smily_headphones1.gif

I used to play MTGO. Had my Black/Red Dragon deck which was pure fun. Have a few other decks in there that were better, but the Dragon deck was my most enjoyed one. I'll see if I can still log in. I got tired of paying $20 for drafts after a semester during college (more like I was broke after playing draft after draft, lol).

Aug 19, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #25 of 224
Oh man, I played a lot in elementary and the beginning of high school. I still have many thousands of cards.

I need to sell some of the ones that are worth good money.

Aug 19, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #26 of 224
They're not worth anything. I'll gladly take them off our hands. =]

Aug 19, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #27 of 224
I also played regularly in middle school and the beginning of high school. I had a play-group of four or five friends which got together every Friday night and played for a few hours. MTG is probably the reason I didn't have friends until a couple of years ago
smily_headphones1.gif

Multiplayer was my forte. I was far more intrigued by the dynamic of a good four or five person multiplayer game than one on one, and therefore built most of my decks to function well against multiply opponents. Emperor was also a fun format to break out every once in a while.

Aug 19, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #28 of 224
^what is emperor?

I never liked multiplayer much actually... too chaotic for me. What fascinated me was building and streamlining decks for one on one matches, and perfectly adapting to the small "metagame" of my friends and I. Looking at wining tournament decklists is fun, but not always the most effective when playing against friends.

What kind of strategies did you find most effective in multiplayer? Would you normally just do 4 or 5 person free for all?

Did you use "attack limits" where you could only attack left or right to avoid ganging up? That is something one of my friends liked to do, I thought it was a bit artificial but no big deal.

Aug 20, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #29 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're not worth anything. I'll gladly take them off our hands. =]

My most valuable one is worth about $75, so I'm not top class or anything, but I have lots and lots of cards.
tongue.gif

Aug 20, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #30 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My most valuable one is worth about $75, so I'm not top class or anything, but I have lots and lots of cards.
tongue.gif

Where did you get the worth of your cards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back