Made my first foray into headphone amps finally (C421)
Sep 1, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #16 of 16
Alright guys, I managed to do some more tests this afternoon, but the results have left me even more confused.

I managed to test my family's iPod Touch 2nd gen and an iPhone 4S in comparison to my iPod nano 2nd gen to make sure that the hiss was just an issue with my pmp.

Using the C421 and my Vsonic GR06 with a Fiio L9 LOD, I went to work. As mentioned before, the Nano produces a very pronounced hiss when the amp volume is maxed out. I originally thought it was just the iPods issue since the GR06 is fairly sensitive and I get much less hiss with my Xonar, though it is still there when the amp volume is maxed.

Using the iPod touch, I immediately noticed more of an electrical crackling sound as opposed to the hiss of the Nano. Very odd!

Using the 4S, I also noticed the crackle, but it went away after a few seconds. Great! After doing some listening tests though, I noticed if you pause a song and then max the volume, you hear a pronounced hiss here as well!

So I am not really sure what's going on here. I think the amp is fine since I trust JDS, so I wonder if the LOD has some issue. It's hard to believe all of these models have such noticeable problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back