MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Apr 4, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #181 of 1,382
The HD and Super have two inputs which are selected by powering the source you want to listen to and turning off the other source input. Eg. two sources: cdplayer(1) and record player(2). As for the passive pre-out, it is a line level out to your pre-amp without any power. It allows your source signal to pass through the headphone amp without any added signal boost. The Mapletree amps do not have to be turned on to use this feature and you can use the volume control to limit the signal to the pre-amp.

As for an active pre-amp, the best is example would be a phono-preamp for a record player. Since the signal put out by the record player is low, its needs to be boosted before you plug it into your receiver/amp.

Another Ear+HD member here!

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #182 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD and Super have two inputs which are selected by powering the source you want to listen to and turning off the other source input. Eg. two sources: cdplayer(1) and record player(2). As for the passive pre-out, it is a line level out to your pre-amp without any power. It allows your source signal to pass through the headphone amp without any added signal boost. The Mapletree amps do not have to be turned on to use this feature and you can use the volume control to limit the signal to the pre-amp.

As for an active pre-amp, the best is example would be a phono-preamp for a record player. Since the signal put out by the record player is low, its needs to be boosted before you plug it into your receiver/amp.

Another Ear+HD member here!

thanks for the info...

May 4, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #184 of 1,382
IT'S FINALLY HERE!

A few pictures first...

My photography skills SUCK by the way.

3500152341_56df2f7901.jpg

3500150385_8394844093.jpg

3500961636_95cf5d350d.jpg

3500139333_0e74cbecb4.jpg

May 4, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #185 of 1,382
Congrats! I've had mine for nearly two years now & still can't imagine using another amp with my RS-1s. Hope you like yours just as much!

May 4, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #186 of 1,382
Congrats uberberger. That's a beautiful amp.

May 4, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #189 of 1,382
I'm at work, and seeing the pictures of the glowing 12B4A tubes makes me really want to get home to fire mine up, sit in front of it, bask in the soft, warm glow of the 12B4A's and 5751 - and imbibe deeply of the heady and sublime sonic elixir which pours (and purrs) plentifully from its headphone jacks. BTW, I can read JAN Sylvania on the 12B4A tubes. What is the type/maker of the front tube in place in the photos? If you don't mind my asking, that is. It's one beauty of an amp. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

May 5, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #191 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAmish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats! I've had mine for nearly two years now & still can't imagine using another amp with my RS-1s. Hope you like yours just as much!

Thanks! Now I just need to find myself a decent source. Leaning toward the NAD C545. I want the Rega Apollo but that's too much of a stretch right now.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimspoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without a doubt, that thing is a beauty!

Looking at that is only making my wait that much harder!!!

Congrats on receiving an awesome amp!

Your amp is going to be more awesome than mine with those Magic Eyes.
wink.gif
And I do have to say, it reached me from Canada all the way to Singapore in 4 days! Left on 30 Apr, reached 4 May. Wow, pleasant surprise. Apparently they work weekends too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YaY! Congrats and enjoy your new MAD amp with your RS1's and happy tube rolling!

I initially had buyer's remorse when I listened to it the first time. Kind of fuzzy and undefined. But when I swapped out the stock 12AX7 for a GE triple mica black plate 5751... Wow.
icon10.gif
Still have an RCA TMBP and a Sylvania Gold Brand grey plate. A combination of itchy fingers and some spare Paypal funds.
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm at work, and seeing the pictures of the glowing 12B4A tubes makes me really want to get home to fire mine up, sit in front of it, bask in the soft, warm glow of the 12B4A's and 5751 - and imbibe deeply of the heady and sublime sonic elixir which pours (and purrs) plentifully from its headphone jacks. BTW, I can read JAN Sylvania on the 12B4A tubes. What is the type/maker of the front tube in place in the photos? If you don't mind my asking, that is. It's one beauty of an amp. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

You are right about the Jan Sylvania 12B4A's. The front tube is the stock tube provided. It reads TAD 12AX7A-C, the box is "Tube Amp Doctor". I didn't give it much chance, swapped it out for a nice GE 5751.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations on your new amp. Everytime I see one of Dr. Lloyd's amps I say, he has the right lood. Just beautiful, enjoy it.

He does know how to make his amps.
icon10.gif
The wood is darker than what you see in the pics though, I ordered stained wood panels.

May 7, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #192 of 1,382
I am on the Edge of ordering a Mad Ear+HD tonight,But there is just a few questions left. How many Mw at 300 ohms does this amp have?And can it play very loud in senn 6xx?I am also stumped as weather to get the red one or the one pictured above (the retro look)....

May 7, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #193 of 1,382
I can't give any specifics regarding power output, as for the color scheme I think someone posted a a quote, or paraphrased Dr. Peppard stating that he considers his Red (chasis) / Black (side panels) to be his "signature" color configuration.

Personally, if that's what Dr. Peppard considers his best config, it's good enough for me! (which is what I currently have on order).

May 7, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #194 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Whipped /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am on the Edge of ordering a Mad Ear+HD tonight,But there is just a few questions left. How many Mw at 300 ohms does this amp have?And can it play very loud in senn 6xx?I am also stumped as weather to get the red one or the one pictured above (the retro look)....

I don't know how many Mw at 300 ohms the amp can supply.
Dr. Lloyd Peppard, the designer and maker of the Mapletree amps, probably does. I've emailed him a few times with questions for which I could not find an answer on Head-Fi, and he replied with the answer I was looking for quickly and happily (with some very nice explanation to go along with it). He's a really fine gentleman. The link to contact him by email is on the Mapletree web site. http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

Can it play very loud into Senn 600/650? To me, yes.
I'm using a HeadRoom Ultra Micro DAC and a 5.5G iMod with ALO VCap dock as my sources. With Senn HD600 or HD650 attached, it's as loud as I've ever wanted to rock out to at 2-3 O'Clock on the pot (HR UMDAC) and at 4-5 O'Clock on the pot (iMod w/ VCap dock). I've never had a moment where I've wanted to turn the pot up more, but it was maxxed out. I've measured the SPL from the phones when listening "loud" to make sure that it wasn't so loud that I might be damaging my hearing, and the loudest I've ever measured was 75 - 80 dB. My listening SPL generally comes in around the mid sixties to low 70's on the dB scale. To give you an actual measure of what I'm calling "loud". When I take hearing tests, I test "normal", no measurable drop-outs nor any superacuities with respect to the general population.

As to the color scheme, I've got the black chassis with walnut side panels (which matches my collection of audio equipment, cased in black extruded aluminum and wood, really beautifully). What's the "decor" of the other equipment and the room in which you'll be using the Mapletree? From which look of the Mapletree would you find the most satisfaction, given the whole equipment + room "ensemble"? If you don't have a definite preference, do you have a significant other who might? Just a few considerations to help in choosing between two really fine, and different, looks for this great-sounding and versatile amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back