MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Feb 10, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #168 of 1,382
In the future, if I got money to upgrade to a tube amp, this would be my choice or whatever the successor is.

And I would definitely buy the kit and DIY myself. What a beautiful amp.

Apr 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #169 of 1,382
Hey I forgot about this thread!

I figured I would dust it off with an update.

My MAD Ear+ Purist HD is still going strong and I still love it. Of all of the amps I have owned over the years, the MAD Ear+ is the only one that I have hung on to for this long (and I really don't see it going anywhere soon). It has effortlessly handled every pair of headphones I have thrown at it. It provides great sound, the tubes it uses are relatively cheap, and I really do enjoy the "retro" look of the amp. I think the kit would be a "no brainer" purchase for the Do-it-yourselfer who is in the market for a new tube amp. Although I didn't build my own, I would imagine that if I had, it would have been that much more rewarding. I have seen the assembly instructions for the kit, and to be honest it really didn't look all that difficult.

I see now that the prices have increased a bit since I purchased my amp, but even at the new prices, I would certainly say that the amp is still worth every penny.

popcorn.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #171 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberburger101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I figured I might as well say it now. I ordered a MAD Ear+ HD with BG upgrades in this colour combination:

Very Nice looking, are the colors called?

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #172 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very Nice looking, are the colors called?

Thanks for the compliment. I hope the real thing is every bit as beautiful as the picture. Black and stained oak. This was my inspiration:

21fp1.jpg

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #173 of 1,382
Quote:

Thanks for the compliment. I hope the real thing is every bit as beautiful as the picture. Black and stained oak.

Its going to be top shelf. I never did like the lighter colors on audio equipment. I am so sick of silver it makes me wanna puke.

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #174 of 1,382
Quote:

Thanks for the compliment. I hope the real thing is every bit as beautiful as the picture. Black and stained oak. This was my inspiration:

21fp1.jpg

i had the MAD ear+ about 4 years ago and loved it with the rs1...i'm contemplating going back to the MAD ear+ again. this picture makes the decision even easier...

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #175 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i had the MAD ear+ about 4 years ago and loved it with the rs1...i'm contemplating going back to the MAD ear+ again. this picture makes the decision even easier...

Glad to be of help.
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #176 of 1,382
i didn't get much info from the mapletree audio website...what are the main differences b/n the regular ear+ and the super? there's no picture of the back...is there a passive output? multiple inputs? don't see any other knob in the front except the volume, so i'm doubting there are multiple inputs...maybe all this has been said before in this thread, but i'm lazy
wink.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #178 of 1,382
Quote:

i didn't get much info from the mapletree audio website...what are the main differences b/n the regular ear+ and the super? there's no picture of the back...is there a passive output? multiple inputs? don't see any other knob in the front except the volume, so i'm doubting there are multiple inputs...maybe all this has been said before in this thread, but i'm lazy
wink.gif

1. To quote briefly what Dr Lloyd replied when I asked him that question, "The Super offers more power output (which is really only critical if you are driving two sets of headphones at the same time, or have particularly power-hungry phones), and soft startup with tube rectification. The latter lengthens tube and capacitor lifetime. It has a Black Gate filter cap in the final section, but you need to add $60 for the other two to be able to compare price with the regular HD. With the same filter caps, the Super may sound a bit more open than the regular HD with loud listening just as a higher power speaker amp does--especially on transients. However, I would be happy with the HD with most headphones including Sennheiser and Grado."

2. It has 1 preamp out and 2 RCA inputs, however there's no switch to switch between the inputs.

Hope this helps.

Apr 4, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #179 of 1,382
Quote:

1. To quote briefly what Dr Lloyd replied when I asked him that question, "The Super offers more power output (which is really only critical if you are driving two sets of headphones at the same time, or have particularly power-hungry phones), and soft startup with tube rectification. The latter lengthens tube and capacitor lifetime. It has a Black Gate filter cap in the final section, but you need to add $60 for the other two to be able to compare price with the regular HD. With the same filter caps, the Super may sound a bit more open than the regular HD with loud listening just as a higher power speaker amp does--especially on transients. However, I would be happy with the HD with most headphones including Sennheiser and Grado."

2. It has 1 preamp out and 2 RCA inputs, however there's no switch to switch between the inputs.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the info. i'm still puzzled by the multiple inputs, but no switch to choose between the two. or am i missing something here?

it the preamp an active preamp or a passive/loop out? if active, any idea on what the gain is?

Apr 4, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #180 of 1,382
Quote:

thanks for the info. i'm still puzzled by the multiple inputs, but no switch to choose between the two. or am i missing something here?

it the preamp an active preamp or a passive/loop out? if active, any idea on what the gain is?

No idea about that, sorry. Perhaps dropping a mail to Dr Lloyd would be the best choice...

I'm going to ask a real stupid question here, what's the difference between an active preamp and a passive/loop out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back