MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Jul 6, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #856 of 1,382
I purchased MAD EAR+HD #0204262 last week. I must say It's the BEST audio purchase I've made in a while. My HF-2's finally have a sound that makes Me happy !
I got a good deal on it and I didn't have to wait months or worry about postal work stoppages (It was built in April 2011). I couldn't resist throwing in a 1956 RCA Blackplate 5751 but it also sounds killer with the stock tube.
It was the perfect opportunity to get into tubes and I'm glad I did. The sound has so much MORE of everything I love about My music !

Jul 6, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #857 of 1,382
Yeah. I couldn't agree more. Mine is still burning in but is already sounding beautiful. Dr. Peppard knows his stuff.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your music which is the most important thing in this hobby.

Quote:
I purchased MAD EAR+HD #0204262 last week. I must say It's the BEST audio purchase I've made in a while. My HF-2's finally have a sound that makes Me happy !
I got a good deal on it and I didn't have to wait months or worry about postal work stoppages (It was built in April 2011). I couldn't resist throwing in a 1956 RCA Blackplate 5751 but it also sounds killer with the stock tube.
It was the perfect opportunity to get into tubes and I'm glad I did. The sound has so much MORE of everything I love about My music !

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #858 of 1,382
I have a pair of LCD-2 on it's way.  I currently use my Mad Ear HD with Grado RS1, but what tubes would provide the extra gain and treble extension for the LCD-2?

thanks

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #859 of 1,382

Quote:
what tubes would provide the extra gain and treble extension for the LCD-2?

thanks

I would suggest Genelex Gold Lion 12AX7. I haven't tried it myself, but the Genelex are known to have great treble extension. 12AX7 should give you the gain you need and the tube is pretty reputable here. I've used their EL84's and they're quite nice. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #860 of 1,382
thanks you

Quote:

I would suggest Genelex Gold Lion 12AX7. I haven't tried it myself, but the Genelex are known to have great treble extension. 12AX7 should give you the gain you need and the tube is pretty reputable here. I've used their EL84's and they're quite nice. 

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #861 of 1,382

Quote:
Yeah. I couldn't agree more. Mine is still burning in but is already sounding beautiful. Dr. Peppard knows his stuff.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your music which is the most important thing in this hobby.

I have yet to contact Dr. Peppard, I've been too busy re-listening to all My CD's. The biggest difference for Me is that the Guitar Chords are much more meaty and textured. I can discern the exact effect and kind of tone. The Bass has incredible Slam and is well controlled. Cymbals have a nice "sparkle". The MAD Ear+HD is so quiet I can hear new details in almost every song !

The whole presentation has more space and depth. depending on the recording, the sound is definitely "3D"

For the first time I don't feel like I need to do anything to improve this sound in some way. Definitely HI-Fidelity !

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #863 of 1,382
I guess, since the LCD-2 needs more of a Solid State characters than the lush romantic tube characters, does the Genelex Gold Lion give these characters?
Lush works great for Grado RS1 but the LCD-2 already being warm and lush needs the opposite.  Eventually, I will probably get the Lyr or a solid state amp for the LCD-2 but for now what will be some good tube rolling options to synergize with the LCD-2?

I know this sounds dumb, but my only experience with tube amp was when I had the Woo Audio 6 and I ended up upgrading both the Rectifier Tube and Power Tubes.
So my question is, what is the Genelex Gold Lion, a Rectifier or a Power tube?  And if the MAD EAR works same as the Woo Audio, what is the best upgrade for both Rectifier and Power tube for the LCD-2? 

Quote:

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #864 of 1,382

I'm famous alright...

Lloyd asked if he could use it and I gladly obliged.  He's always been a wonderful gentleman to talk to and work with.

BTW - I'm following this LCD-2 discussion with interest.  I figure the Super II is putting out about 400mW at 60-ohms (new driver revised up to 60-ohms from 50).  Do people with experience with driving the LCD-2 feel this is enough juice to get the most out of the headphones?  This might be better asked in an LCD-2 thread but I was hoping for some MAD people that had experience with the 'phones. 

Quote:
It looks like Indy is famous - his rig is now the first thing you see when you go to the Mapletree site right now.

Jul 11, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #865 of 1,382

Quote:

I know this sounds dumb, but my only experience with tube amp was when I had the Woo Audio 6 and I ended up upgrading both the Rectifier Tube and Power Tubes.
So my question is, what is the Genelex Gold Lion, a Rectifier or a Power tube?  And if the MAD EAR works same as the Woo Audio, what is the best upgrade for both Rectifier and Power tube for the LCD-2? 

I'm no expert, but the 5751/12AX7 tube is known as the input tube.  The Ear+ HD amps are not tube-rectified.  Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Quote:

BTW - I'm following this LCD-2 discussion with interest.  I figure the Super II is putting out about 400mW at 60-ohms (new driver revised up to 60-ohms from 50).  Do people with experience with driving the LCD-2 feel this is enough juice to get the most out of the headphones?  This might be better asked in an LCD-2 thread but I was hoping for some MAD people that had experience with the 'phones. 

Someone like Macedonian Hero should chime in, but I asked this question (w.r.t. Ear+ HD) earlier in this thread.  I gathered that, in general, people thought the Ear+ HD sounded great with the LCD-2.  The Super II with about 4x more power on tap should drive the LCD-2 just... well, super.

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #866 of 1,382
Correct, the 5751/12AX7 is the input tube and the EL84 (on the Super II) is the power tube.  Solid-state rectification unlike the Woo.  I've owned tube amps for many years now and STILL feel "tube-stupid" compared to the experts here on head-fi!

Thanks for the info on the LCD-2.  Sounds like it will be worth giving a try!

Quote:

I'm no expert, but the 5751/12AX7 tube is known as the input tube.  The Ear+ HD amps are not tube-rectified.  Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Someone like Macedonian Hero should chime in, but I asked this question (w.r.t. Ear+ HD) earlier in this thread.  I gathered that, in general, people thought the Ear+ HD sounded great with the LCD-2.  The Super II with about 4x more power on tap should drive the LCD-2 just... well, super.

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #867 of 1,382
Quick question for you guys...

What would be the pros/cons of using my MAD Ear + HD as a preamp going to my Super II?

Also is there any benefit in turning the power on the Ear+ while using it as a preamp?

Thanks guys

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #868 of 1,382
It's just a passive pass through so there would no pro's except for any need you have getting met and a neg would be an extra connection to deal with and interconnect to pay for.  There would be no point in powering the MAD to use as a preamp.

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #869 of 1,382
Dr LLoyd has stated, and its come up in this thread a couple times, that changing the power tubes have a much smaller effect.  I have not tried but there is a set up tubes that I'd like to try so if I ever see them I'll swap out power tubes myself.

I don't normally give tonal/ sound signature answers because I don't feel qualified but - I found the Genelex tube to be a warm tube and though I do enjoy it, I don't like it at all with my HD650's.  And since I feel that the LCD-2 sounds to me to be a lot like the 650 (only obviously much nicer) then my guess is that it may not be the best fit.  But that's just me so if it goes against anyone else's recco then....

Quote:
I guess, since the LCD-2 needs more of a Solid State characters than the lush romantic tube characters, does the Genelex Gold Lion give these characters?
Lush works great for Grado RS1 but the LCD-2 already being warm and lush needs the opposite.  Eventually, I will probably get the Lyr or a solid state amp for the LCD-2 but for now what will be some good tube rolling options to synergize with the LCD-2?

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #870 of 1,382

Thanks very much. No Point in me having to use another knob then.

I have to say Dr. Peppard never ceases to impress me with his wares. Later this week i'm going to order a LR-1. Anyone know if they are point-to-point wired?

Quote:
It's just a passive pass through so there would no pro's except for any need you have getting met and a neg would be an extra connection to deal with and interconnect to pay for.  There would be no point in powering the MAD to use as a preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back