MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Jun 28, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #841 of 1,382
For better or worse, the Canada Post lockout has ended. My Ear + HD finally shipped! I am completely overjoyed.

I originally purchased it exclusively to use with my RS1 but recently purchased a pair of HD650s (which I believe the good doctor used to voice this model with).

The RS1's hold a special place in my heart. For my purely musical, non analytical, enjoyment it is probably tied with the LCD-2. Maybe the good doctors device will put it over the top.

Jun 28, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #843 of 1,382
Do you run the LCD-2's off your MAD?

Quote:
I think he used the HD600's - but when I got my lcd-2's I couldn't think of any reason to keep my 650's around any longer.

Jun 28, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #844 of 1,382

I used to own the MAD Ear+HD for my RS1s (best amp for the RS1s BTW :D), but NOT recommended for the power hungry LCD-2s. 170mW max won't even get you in the door IMO. Plus I found the combination too wooly for my tastes.

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #845 of 1,382

Quote:
I think he used the HD600's - but when I got my lcd-2's I couldn't think of any reason to keep my 650's around any longer.

On the contrary, I actually miss the sound of the HD650's even after owning the LCD-2. Mostly because of it's sound signature and interpretation. LCD-2 sound more like listening to monitors (like a plain jane, too clean cut and perfect); while the Senns and Grados have more of a emotional connection to the music (distinct, more character if you will). 

Back on topic, the MAD is still one of my favorite tube amps. It's sweet, romantic, and sounds excellent with both Senns and Grados. 

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #846 of 1,382
Mine also shipped today and I can't wait. It is supposed to arrive on monday according to my tracking number and I sure hope it does, it's a day off for me and I would love to spend all day listening...

Quote:
For better or worse, the Canada Post lockout has ended. My Ear + HD finally shipped! I am completely overjoyed.

I originally purchased it exclusively to use with my RS1 but recently purchased a pair of HD650s (which I believe the good doctor used to voice this model with).

The RS1's hold a special place in my heart. For my purely musical, non analytical, enjoyment it is probably tied with the LCD-2. Maybe the good doctors device will put it over the top.

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #847 of 1,382

Quote:

I agree with Macedonian Hero that the MAD amps are particularly synergistic with the RS1's.  I did not really like the HD650's with my MAD amp (which is a Super-II more or less).  However, I really do like the LCD-2's with my MAD amp.  That's what I'm listening to right now...  "Black Dub" which is Daniel Lanois's latest band.  Trixie Whitley is superb, if you've never heard her.  Check out some of the You-Tube clips.  And the bass lines are really nice, although not as sharp as the Beta22 delivers.  Unfortunately, I think the regular MAD Ear+ does not supply enough juice for the LCD-2's to really shine.  That's where the extra current with a pair of EL84's really helps.  I listen mostly at lower volume levels and I never feel deprived, even though I have more powerful amps available that can drive the LCD-2s to their limits.  I'm really happy with this combination.  It certainly surpasses the HD600's which remain my backup cans.  The MAD amp puts more "meat on the bones" for the Audeze's while remaining musically involving.  It got a lot of admirers too at the last meet where I brought the MAD amp.

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #848 of 1,382

I do and even though I have plenty of more powerful amps to choose from I still use the MAD / LCD- Combo.

Quote:

It's kind of sad, I've never even been able to listen to RS-1's before but I'd love too.  I don't think id be interested in giving up my magnum 325's for them but it is strange that I haven't even run accross them at some point.  Maybe later I'll get a set of the forums for at least temporary use.

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #849 of 1,382
I agree with Macedonian Hero that the MAD amps are particularly synergistic with the RS1's.  I did not really like the HD650's with my MAD amp (which is a Super-II more or less).  However, I really do like the LCD-2's with my MAD amp.  That's what I'm listening to right now...  "Black Dub" which is Daniel Lanois's latest band.  Trixie Whitley is superb, if you've never heard her.  Check out some of the You-Tube clips.  And the bass lines are really nice, although not as sharp as the Beta22 delivers.  Unfortunately, I think the regular MAD Ear+ does not supply enough juice for the LCD-2's to really shine.  That's where the extra current with a pair of EL84's really helps.  I listen mostly at lower volume levels and I never feel deprived, even though I have more powerful amps available that can drive the LCD-2s to their limits.  I'm really happy with this combination.  It certainly surpasses the HD600's which remain my backup cans.  The MAD amp puts more "meat on the bones" for the Audeze's while remaining musically involving.  It got a lot of admirers too at the last meet where I brought the MAD amp.

I would like to give the Super II a try. Looks like Dr. Lloyd has another winner.

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #850 of 1,382
I popped some GE triple-mica 5-star 5751 tubes in a few days ago and have really enjoyed the combination.  I snapped a few photos last night and thought I'd share. 

Jul 2, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #851 of 1,382
I received mine yesterday and the black and green is incredible. I didn't even really get to listen to it because that night was spent seeing The Black Keys at an amazing venue. As I type I'm giving it the first real listen with the new Dawes album Nothing is Wrong on 45 from my Rega RP1 with Cambridge phono and I'm just floored. The soundstage took a leap from my LD1+ and the overall tone is so engaging. This is not broken in at all and with the stock 12AX7. I can't wait to hear this mature as it burns in and I try my hand at tube rolling. This is a really good bloody week. 

This was taken just out of the box and not even connected. It's purty.

Jul 2, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #852 of 1,382
Congrats. It looks like our amps were shipped on the same day. Unfortunately, Canadapost has not been able to put my amp on a plane in 3 days :frowning2:

Quote:
I received mine yesterday and the black and green is incredible. I didn't even really get to listen to it because that night was spent seeing The Black Keys at an amazing venue. As I type I'm giving it the first real listen with the new Dawes album Nothing is Wrong on 45 from my Rega RP1 with Cambridge phono and I'm just floored. The soundstage took a leap from my LD1+ and the overall tone is so engaging. This is not broken in at all and with the stock 12AX7. I can't wait to hear this mature as it burns in and I try my hand at tube rolling. This is a really good bloody week. 

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #853 of 1,382

Congratulations!  I love the sage green and you have one beautiful amp there.  Enjoy the journey.  I especially like that you were out seeing some live music...nothing ever replaces that experience!

Quote:

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #854 of 1,382
I don't know how long they've been there but I saw 2 pieces of bad news on the mapletree site today:

[size=larger]BLACK GATE CAPACITORS NO LONGER AVAILABLE[/size]. Stock piles of these great electrolytics have finally been exhausted. Hence, they can no longer be offered as options in the power supplies of Mapletree products. My last stocks of the cathode bypass capacitors used in the Ear+ HD will soon run out as well.  I  will be using Nichicon Muse capacitors for this application. High voltage filter caps used in Mapletree products are typically standard Nichicon aluminum electrolytics.

PRICE INCREASES ARE COMING. Due to contiumed pressure on the U.S. dollar and increases in component prices, I plan a 10% increase in prices as of August 1/2011.

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #855 of 1,382
Yes, the Blackgate news is sad.  I found out after I received my Super II that it was the last Super II to include the Blackgate capacitor upgrade.  It was also the last set of Auricaps at the discounted price.  Part of me feels fortunate and part of me was hoping to order another Super II with Blackgates! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back