"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
May 9, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #5,911 of 6,388
Quote:
My current setup is:

Foobar (WASAPI) -> Modi -> Magni -> Mad Dogs

I only have low volume problems on relatively quiet music (the version of Adele - Skyfall which I have is one example - maxing the Magni, the volume is still ridiculously low). For other music, I have to increase volume to 3-4 o'clock for the volume to be loud enough.

Actually, maxing out the Magni is essentially only uncomfortably loud when playing highly compressed modern music (ex. pop/dance)

If you are getting to 3-4 o-clock on the Magni then there is some other volume setting that is set low, because that should blow your pants off, even with "relatively quiet music". I suppose the recording could be ripped at an odd volume, or it could just be hearing damage =).

May 9, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #5,912 of 6,388
If you are getting to 3-4 o-clock on the Magni then there is some other volume setting that is set low, because that should blow your pants off, even with "relatively quiet music". I suppose the recording could be ripped at an odd volume, or it could just be hearing damage =).

It's not hearing damage for sure. As I said, the M50s are extremely loud @ about 12-1 (depending on the music).

Anybody has any experience with the Magni and Mad Dogs?

May 9, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #5,913 of 6,388
There has to be a setting that is too low somewhere else. The Modi and Magni combo gets obnoxiously loud with basically any headphone I threw at it by like 11 o clock.

If youre on the right side of the volume pot, you better check the windows volume or soft music player's volume control. Everything should be at 100% except the Magni.

May 9, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #5,914 of 6,388
Quote:
There has to be a setting that is too low somewhere else. The Modi and Magni combo gets obnoxiously loud with basically any headphone I threw at it by like 11 o clock.

If youre on the right side of the volume pot, you better check the windows volume or soft music player's volume control. Everything should be at 100% except the Magni.

Everything is at 100% on my computer: only controlling volume using the Magni.

Using the M50's, the Magni @ at 11 o'clock is comparable to the FiiO E17 close to max volume.

I found out that 11 o'clock on the Magni outputs about the same volume as my iPhone 5 at max volume. Don't know if this is normal or not, but the FiiO E17 gets much louder than my iPhone 5, and expected the Magni to blow E17 out of the water power-wise (around 230mw vs 1.2W).

May 9, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #5,916 of 6,388
About to find out if the magni is able to compete with 8 dif. $150-$350 portable offerings. Looking at just the specs I will be awfully surprised if it doesn't have enuff juice for the md's.

May 9, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #5,917 of 6,388
Quote:

So far, I'm enjoying the Annies more than the HD650. I too just received a pair of Annies, and I like them a lot so far.

It's hard for me to say so far. Based on my year old notes the 650 is much cleaner sounding. While the annies seem to be more fun sounding there seems to be a hint of distortion or congestion.

It's nice to see a fellow vinyl junkie. How are your rega's treating you? What needles do you use?

May 9, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #5,918 of 6,388
It's hard for me to say so far. Based on my year old notes the 650 is much cleaner sounding. While the annies seem to be more fun sounding there seems to be a hint of distortion or congestion.

It's nice to see a fellow vinyl junkie. How are your rega's treating you? What needles do you use?

Compared the two directly, the Annie is not only cleaner, but it's less congested, more airy, and more balanced than the 650. It also has better treble and clarity. You might wanna recheck those notes.

I say this, because I specifically bought the HD650 to use as an alternative to the Annie when I wanted to lay down and relax. In the end, there was nothing the 650 did that the Annie didn't do better (though the more in your face presentation of the mids on the 650 were different than the pronounced but spaced out mids on the Annie), so I returned the 650.

May 9, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #5,919 of 6,388
It's not hearing damage for sure. As I said, the M50s are extremely loud @ about 12-1 (depending on the music).

I have the M/M stack with both the M50s and Mad Dogs. If I tried to get the M50s near even 11 I wouldn't have eardrums. 1 o'clock with the Mad Dogs is the breaking point for painfully loud. This seems to be the case for the majority of Magni users on its thread.

So much so, that some have bought attenuators to have more play with the volume pot.

It's very likely that something is affecting your volume output. There is always the possibility that your Magni is the problem.

May 9, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #5,920 of 6,388
Either something is wrong with his Magni, or he's just plain deaf. The Magni has a ridiculous amount of gain/volume.

In other news:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEifE5ifd20[/VIDEO]

Delicious on the Mad Dogs. <3

May 9, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #5,921 of 6,388
Quote:
Compared the two directly, the Annie is not only cleaner, but it's less congested, more airy, and more balanced than the 650. It also has better treble and clarity. You might wanna recheck those notes.

I say this, because I specifically bought the HD650 to use as an alternative to the Annie when I wanted to lay down and relax. In the end, there was nothing the 650 did that the Annie didn't do better (though the more in your face presentation of the mids on the 650 were different than the pronounced but spaced out mids on the Annie), so I returned the 650.

yeah I think it was my ear's adjusting from the lcd as well. That's a pretty hard act to follow imo. I actually think these annies give the lcd's a pretty good run for their money. 8 hours in so far and I think these are a keeper. Th-600 is on it's way from japan now. Sadly the lcd is going to be gone Friday most likely.

May 9, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #5,922 of 6,388
That's how I felt. The Annie did quite well vs the LCD2. I really only preferred the bass on the LCD2, and the fact they were more upfront and aggressive. Everything else I preferred on the Annies for me.

May 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #5,923 of 6,388
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think you should be able to get to 1 with the M50's.

May 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #5,924 of 6,388
Yeah, they are very sensitive. Ive heard harder to drive cans off the Magni that barely hit 10 before they got ear shattering loud.

May 9, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #5,925 of 6,388
Quote:

Love the simplicity of the Rega. It has top-notch performance and a decent price. I'm guessing you mean cartridge? I'm using a Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III, an absolutely amazing cartridge. On my Thorens, I mounted my Infinity Black Widow tonearm with a Dynavector 10X5 cartridge. Both spin doctors sound wonderful, just can't get better than Vinyl! 

Regarding the Annies, I agree with MLE on this one. The biggest difference for me between the 650 and the 65th is the treble extension and clarity. The roll-off was very desirable early in my audio career, but I've moved on to want some amount of treble, even though I still am sensitive to harsh treble. The Annies deliver excellent treble and soundstage for the price, and those are two things that I've had issues with the HD650. Honestly adding the Reign cable did open up the frequency somewhat due to the silver, but I still prefer the Annies. Unfortunately for both of these headphones, they are going to be up on the FS forums soon enough to recoup some money spent on other items. Both are winners, but if you are looking for the more balanced with some warmth the 65th are better in almost every way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back