"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #5,521 of 6,388
Quote:
This is the exact one he referenced when he said I would love them - the Alpha pad latest version.  And so it goes to show all of us that even good intentioned advice can be wrong.  I am totally cool with the experience - it didn't work out but it's all good. 

I heard so many people BASHING the D600 I almost didn't buy them when I found them for $239, but then I remembered back to my Mad Dog experience and thought what's the worst thing that can happen?  I don't like them, I sell them and move on to the next.  And to my utter delight, right out of my iPhone, right out of the box they were fantastic. 

We all want people to like what we like, and sometimes it just doesn't work out.  I guess it's human nature or something. 

Anyway, don't we all wish we could audition cans before buying more?   How cool would that be if there was a headphone store in the US, in our towns, and they carried a wide range of choices (not just Beats/UE/Sony like my Best Buy)?   It would certainly take away a lot of frustration of buying, getting disappointed, then having to sell or return. 

I'd definitely believe they were far more satisfying out of an iPhone, especially if you're the kind of guy with
Quote:
1200 watt truck stereo with 10" sub, Kenwood amps, Alpine head unit. It thumps.....

Straight from a phone, it definitely could put out more bass (and volume in general) than the Mad Dogs and a large chunk of headphones that are poor matches for an unamplified phone.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #5,522 of 6,388
Quote:
This is the exact one he referenced when he said I would love them - the Alpha pad latest version.  And so it goes to show all of us that even good intentioned advice can be wrong.  I am totally cool with the experience - it didn't work out but it's all good. 

I heard so many people BASHING the D600 I almost didn't buy them when I found them for $239, but then I remembered back to my Mad Dog experience and thought what's the worst thing that can happen?  I don't like them, I sell them and move on to the next.  And to my utter delight, right out of my iPhone, right out of the box they were fantastic. 

We all want people to like what we like, and sometimes it just doesn't work out.  I guess it's human nature or something. 

Anyway, don't we all wish we could audition cans before buying more?   How cool would that be if there was a headphone store in the US, in our towns, and they carried a wide range of choices (not just Beats/UE/Sony like my Best Buy)?   It would certainly take away a lot of frustration of buying, getting disappointed, then having to sell or return. 

You could always move to Bozeman, Montana.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #5,523 of 6,388
Quote:

I'd definitely believe they were far more satisfying out of an iPhone, especially if you're the kind of guy with

Straight from a phone, it definitely could put out more bass (and volume in general) than the Mad Dogs and a large chunk of headphones that are poor matches for an unamplified phone.

That's not what he meant. Besides, it's obvious that no matter what you're driving it out of the D600 will have much more thump than the MD. No need to go on the attack.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #5,524 of 6,388
Quote:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say or what point you're making, but I don't listen to anything straight out of an iPhone.  I merely hooked it up that night since I was in my truck opening the package. 

I gave the Mad Dogs plenty of amp and still was not satisfied.  I tried with a Magni, an E-7, E-11, ZO and combinations of them. 

Any more misunderstandings? 

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #5,525 of 6,388
Quote:
You could always move to Bozeman, Montana.

Bozeman is a headphone mecca? 
confused.gif

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #5,526 of 6,388
Quote:
That's not what he meant. Besides, it's obvious that no matter what you're driving it out of the D600 will have much more thump than the MD. No need to go on the attack.

Jesus man, I wasn't going on the attack.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say or what point you're making, but I don't listen to anything straight out of an iPhone.  I merely hooked it up that night since I was in my truck opening the package. 

I gave the Mad Dogs plenty of amp and still was not satisfied.  I tried with a Magni, an E-7, E-11, ZO and combinations of them. 

Any more misunderstandings? 

Wasn't trying to say anything other than the D600 is actually a decent option if you are going unamped, and that the Mad Dog is most definitely not.  I wasn't trying to start anything nor was I going on the attack as ssrock64 suggested.  If there were a universal internet sarcasm button, it would not have been used there.  The quote from your profile was merely used to illustrate how extremely unsatisfying the Mad Dogs might be in the same situation. 
Quote:
Bozeman is a headphone mecca? 
confused.gif

Headroom and TTVJ

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #5,527 of 6,388
Apr 30, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #5,529 of 6,388
No hard feelings. I just misinterpreted the way you were stating it.

*...series of tubes...*

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #5,531 of 6,388
Quote:
Knowing what I know now I agree. I actually was PM'd by a very respected member here and he recommended the Mad Dogs, as a Bassy can. I kid you not. It's all good. I tried them and got my curiosity satisfied.

Quote:
Smooth jazz thumping is amazing. Paul Hardcastle, Boney James and similar artists actually have strong bass in their music.
biggrin.gif

Yes I enjoyed them very much for Jazz and Nu Jazz, the heavy bass lines where well represented. Good body and tactility without being overly aggressive or tight. The laid back sound signiture really did wonders for jazz! Now for EDM they where not as bass heavy as I'd have liked, but for more tradtional bass heavy music [like Jazz] they where great! 

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #5,532 of 6,388
The Mr. Speaker's newsletter this morning is is very informative and exciting. Apparently no one else has gotten around to it so I'll start.

My Mad Dogs shipping with the first batch of alpha pads just a day before their announcement. Since then it appears that revision 3.1 and 3.2 have been released, the newest one being in April.

I love the new tuneup option. I'll be sending mine in and snagging some darth - dog stickers while I'm at it. The price seems very reasonable, and with no current plans for new tweaks, now seems like a good time.

I haven't mentioned 90 percent of the details so please read the newsletter, it's awesome and answers so many questions.

Thank you Dan for all your hard work and dedication to your customer base and craft.

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #5,534 of 6,388
MrSpeakers in the News

We received several positive mentions after the New York Audio Show and the New York Head-Fi meet, where our latest version was on display. You’ll see write-ups from:

· The Absolute Sound

· Audiophilevoice

· The Frugal Audiophile

Stereophile

·

· Sound+Vision

My favorite was “find of the show” from Brent Butterworth at Sound+Vision. Given the show’s plethora of high-end gear, this was very high praise. Also, 6Moons is reviewing the phones.

Check out the news coverage of the version 3.2 (see below on versions) at www.mrspeakers.com on the News and Reviews tab.

New Product!

You asked for it, here it is. The Balanced Mad Dog.

For the last six months, I’ve gotten a steady stream of requests to do a balanced headphone. It’s more complex, as we have to rewire and reterminate the headphone, and also build a custom cable.

We expect the phones to ship in late May. Pre-orders are available now, at $349, once shipping starts the price is probably going to be $399, but this is not yet certain.

This will include the Alpha Pads, velvet bag, and our own custom 6’ 4-pin XLR cable. An option will be available for current owners to convert to balanced operation. Details and price are TBD.

New Service: Mad Dog Tune Ups!

It is probably safe to say most people expect us to ship our best, and we make every effort to do so. Our goal is to create the best value headphone on the market, and that is a journey, not a destination, so we roll out improvements when we find them.

After all, who would want us to know how to improve the product but not to do it? Of course, the flip side is it can be frustrating to purchase a product and have a new version come out.

To allow us to innovate, and to provide investment protection for our customers, I am pleased to offer a service that allows you to tune up your headphones any time you think we’ve made an improvement you’d like to hear.

Our pricing for the “Tune Up Service” is only $29.99 plus shipping. Tune ups don’t include new ear pads, cables, or other hardware updates. Hardware updates are a separate purchase and will usually be available as an option. Tune Up will be added to the www.mrspeakers.com website by May 5, with pad upgrade options and shipping services properly configured. Please don't contact us about this service until the section is online.

The service includes:

1)

latest configuration.

2)

verify performance is optimized

3)

comfort strap with a version number and date so it’s easy to tell what revision you have

Note: to reduce waste and keep cost low we plan to reuse packing materials if they are in good shipping condition, we’ll replace packaging if needed or requested.

I know this is different, but in talking with a number of you about this idea, I’m certain most of my customers will appreciate the concept of continuous improvement with upgradability vs the normal practice of stagnation and obsolescence. We’re committed to always delivering the best we can, and to giving users a convenient and affordable path to upgrade at their convenience should an upgrade be of interest.

For customers overseas, we will be marking these as warranty service so you don’t have to pay duties a second time. Of course some countries charge import fees not related to price, etc, so I’m also exploring an option to have an authorized service center in the EU to perform regional upgrades to , shorten turn around time and keep costs down.

Revision History for the Mad Dog

I want to be transparent as possible about changes to the product, so we’ll share information on updates in our newsletter, which should go out once a quarter.

We’ll be using versions going forward, so it should be much easier for people to discuss their experience online.

·

·

·

purchased before March 17 or Dog Pad units upgraded to Alpha Pads

·

Pads purchased between March 17 and April 12

·

Pads purchased April 13 and on

Version 3.2 is certainly the version I am most proud of and satisfied by. The sound is extremely neutral, just a tiny bit dark, and incredibly lively and dynamic. The phones sound even more “open” and mids are cleaner and less congested at higher volumes or in more complex passages. The phone is never shrill or sibilant, and the bass is flatter, more powerful and stronger, but never over-bearing. Who should upgrade?

1)

consider moving to Alpha Pads when it comes time to replace their pads or if they want a smoother presentation and better isolation and comfort. You will also need to purchase Alpha Pads.

2)

a worthwhile upgrade. Yes you’ll need pads and a tune to get the most. You can upgrade the pads yourself, and get a sonic and comfort upgrade to version 3.0 level, or send them for a tune up and pads to 3.2.

3)

Alpha Pads: it’s optional and worth considering if you’d like more top end air and more midrange presence or more punch down low (not bass head, bass lover! The bass hits harder, is better filled in between 60-90Hz, and goes down to about 12Hz, but it’s not going to THUD like a bass head phone). It’s optional, but if you ever wish your phones were a little less dark or had more energy in the upper mids and highs with more solid lows, this is worth consideration.

4)

purchased Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads after March 17 the upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2 will be noticeable, but I suggest you wait at least 6-12 months before considering a tune up.

And remember, if you love your phone as-is, leave them alone. The service is available any time.

I believe the phones are at a point where we will likely be making fewer and fewer changes. I love the pads and am not changing them, and am not doing any testing to change the sound. Instead, we’re working on new efforts like the balanced phone. But improvements aren’t predictable, and new products can sometimes trigger updates to the current product, so this service is there to ensure you get the most from your Mad Dogs.

Discontinued Product

Due to lack of demand, we’re discontinuing the Mad Dog with Dog Pads.

Feedback

I’m always interested to know how we’re doing, as well as to hear your experiences with different amps, etc. Drop a note to dan@mrspeakers.com to share your feedback.

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #5,535 of 6,388
I look forward to hear My Mad Dog....when they finally arrive! They got sent from LA the 23'th to my country.... all tracks from that day is like zero, and I'm still waiting for a reply from Dan... I just got scammed with some Soundmagic hp 100 from China.... Just another bad day I suppose...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back