"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 2, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #4,696 of 6,388
Any Canucks receive these without too much hassle through the border? What (if any) fees were there?

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #4,697 of 6,388
Is the asgard 2 and the schiit $99 amp considered warm too? I have the Schiit M&M stack but don't have anything to compare it too. I do have an Fiio E10 but don't think that will do.

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #4,698 of 6,388
Is the asgard 2 and the schiit $99 amp considered warm too? I have the Schiit M&M stack but don't have anything to compare it too. I do have an Fiio E10 but don't think that will do.

The Magni (99$) is very neutral from what remember. Actually some may consider it a tad bright. I haven't heard the new Asgard 2, but early impressions say it may have a slight warm tilt to it. Although I have never found Schiit's SS amps to be anything but neutral.

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #4,699 of 6,388
Quote:

The "Schiit Stack" (
biggrin.gif
) is considered to be neutral, if not very slightly bright.

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #4,700 of 6,388
The Asgard is literally and figuratively a little warm ; )

personally, I don't consider the amp to be bright.

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #4,702 of 6,388
Hey guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on the Mad Dogs but I had a couple questions. How portable are they, like clamping force and weight. Also, how comfortable are they? The most comfy cans I ever tried were the Skullcandy Aviators, how do they compare comfortwise? Thanks!

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #4,703 of 6,388
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on the Mad Dogs but I had a couple questions. How portable are they, like clamping force and weight. Also, how comfortable are they? The most comfy cans I ever tried were the Skullcandy Aviators, how do they compare comfortwise? Thanks!

Clamping force: Not much, can do a little trick to lessen it too.
Weight: Heavy, but with the comfort strap Dan sells it feels like nothing on your head.
Comfort: Super.
Aviators: I haven't tried these, but I'm going to say there going to be more comfortable due to real leather earpads.

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #4,704 of 6,388
I never tried the Aviators, but you shouldn't worry too much about comfort with the MD Alpha.  The combination of the leather band and lambskin cushion pad is truly comfortable.  So comfortable that the weight almost doesn't matter.  You will feel the weight, but won't really pay attention to them.  I didn't notice the clamp force as I thought it was fine plus you can adjust the clamp force with a little bending if needed as I don't think most would.

How portable they are will actually be determine if you are okay with their size more than anything and if you care how they look on your head.  Other than that, the rest is pretty good.

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #4,705 of 6,388
Quote:

With clamp, Dan is now sending them out with a little more clamp then he did before, should be sufficient to stay on your head and its always adjustable (he posted a how to video). 

I think your main comfort issue would be with heat. I don't know where you live, but with summer coming, huge leather earpads are going to get sweaty on your head unless you are in a room with average temperature. Other than that, the comfort is amazing.

The main issue you're going to have with portability, as mentioned by soundeffect, is the size. These are not small cans. With the alpha pads, they are going to stand out. They make my large head look like big head mode from goldeneye on N64. So they won't be as sleak or stylish as the aviators might be, but they do have their own unique look, especially if you go 'darth dog' with the stickers. 
The size will also make it more difficult to transport. They will easily fit inside a backpack, but it all depends on how worried you are about getting the pads squished. The build feels rugged enough, but I've had a hard time deciding to actually take them out of the house.

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #4,706 of 6,388
Quote:

With clamp, Dan is now sending them out with a little more clamp then he did before, should be sufficient to stay on your head and its always adjustable (he posted a how to video). 

I think your main comfort issue would be with heat. I don't know where you live, but with summer coming, huge leather earpads are going to get sweaty on your head unless you are in a room with average temperature. Other than that, the comfort is amazing.

The main issue you're going to have with portability, as mentioned by soundeffect, is the size. These are not small cans. With the alpha pads, they are going to stand out. They make my large head look like big head mode from goldeneye on N64. So they won't be as sleak or stylish as the aviators might be, but they do have their own unique look, especially if you go 'darth dog' with the stickers. 
The size will also make it more difficult to transport. They will easily fit inside a backpack, but it all depends on how worried you are about getting the pads squished. The build feels rugged enough, but I've had a hard time deciding to actually take them out of the house.

Hahah big head mode! I forgot about it, I miss the goldeneye golden days.

in my opinion, the mds portability depends on what you're doing. It would be easy to transport the mds to and from work from home for instance. I think it'd also be no problem to go for a walk with the md and a mobile source/amp. I wouldn't want to do anything to would jar the headphone too much though, like the gym or jogging or anything too intensive like that. The lighter clamping force plus the weight of the headphone may lead to it slipping off and falling in that kind of situation, and it's a full sized phone that would be hot and cumbersome even if they stayed put.

To be clear though, I wouldn't call this phone hot or cumbersome generally. I use them mostly at my desk, and I think the comfort is great as many others have mentioned. Once you dial them in it's pretty easy to forget they're on your head. They also haven't been hot for me in my usage, but I could def see them getting that way in some portable applications, as is the nature of a closed leather headphone.

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #4,707 of 6,388
Heya,
are there stats on how deep the cups are?

ive been looking between these akg k550, dt770.

as for amping.. i have a blue yetii mic... sooo barelycounts as an amp

thinking of getting a xonar stx next time i have more fun money

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #4,708 of 6,388
Quote:
Heya,
are there stats on how deep the cups are?

ive been looking between these akg k550, dt770.

as for amping.. i have a blue yetii mic... sooo barelycounts as an amp

thinking of getting a xonar stx next time i have more fun money

I think the ST and STX are really stellar for the money. They will also be more than enough to drive the Mad Dogs. I'd easily pick Mad dogs over the AKG K550. Much better mid range, bass response and the treble isn't as spikey. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #4,710 of 6,388
If you want to save some money, you could buy a used pair from the boards here.  It seems that most everyone here takes excellent care of their equipment so I wouldn't worry about the "used" part. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back