"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #4,666 of 6,388
Quote:
So recently I ordered a pair of MDs, and I'm wondering how well my current amp will drive them. It's a Little dot MK III with Mullard M8161 driver tubes and the stock power tubes (Considering making an adapter and using "Tung-sol 5687 D getter black plates")

Specs:

1. SEPP (Single-Ended Push Pull) OTL in Class-A
  2. Frequency response: 12 hz~100 Khz (-1dB)
  3. THD+N: 0.15% (80 mW @300 ohm)
  4. Power Output:
  5. 350 mW @ 300/600 ohm
  6. 300 mW @ 120 oh
  7. 100 mW @ 32 ohm
  8. Variable Gain: 3,4,5, or 10x
  9. Recommended Load Impedance: 32 ohm~600 ohm
  10. Input Impedance: 50K ohms
  11. Pre-Amplifier Output Impedance: 600 ohms
  12. Pre-Amplifier Gain: 3-10x (also controlled via gain switches)
  13. Pre-Amplifier Voltage: 10V RMS
  14. Power Consumption: 30W (228V * 0.130A)
  15. Pre-Amplification circuit includes both driver and power tubes

Thanks in advance for any help

My guess would be that it will perform fairly well up to a certain volume level.  There's a non-zero chance that it will distort more at higher volume levels.  Anyway, the best way to find out is to give it a try.  If you find that increased distortion presents itself, then you can always give something else a try.

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #4,667 of 6,388
After seeing the pics posted a couple of days ago, I'm liking the Darth look a lot more than I thought I would, those stickers really are a great match.

I think that would be quite badass and a nice compromise between the darth and regular

+1 I actually thought that this is where you were going with this originally when I ordered. My mistake. 
size]

I as well. I think it will look killer good.

I'd like that. I like the look of the Darth-dog and was about to buy stickers, but I'd hate to lose the branding entirely -- I want those that are interested to know that they are MDs in case they want to investigate. The raised black text seems like a good solution. 

+5! I think raised black text would fit the overall look a lot! It'd also kinda match the sole leftover Fostex branding on the headband wouldn't it?

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #4,668 of 6,388
What is the cheapest amp+dac combination that would perform well with the MD+Alpha pads?  My budget is around $400 (including MD) but I guess I could stretch it to about $450 if there is a very noticeable improvement.

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #4,669 of 6,388
Quote:
What is the cheapest amp+dac combination that would perform well with the MD+Alpha pads?  My budget is around $400 (including MD) but I guess I could stretch it to about $450 if there is a very noticeable improvement.

Are you in the U.S.?  If so, Modi+Magni by Schiit is probably your best bet for just over that price.  The combo is $200.  If you need it to be less, get the amp first and the DAC second (this is assuming you're playing from Mac/PC, as the DAC is USB-only).

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #4,670 of 6,388
Quote:
Are you in the U.S.?  If so, Modi+Magni by Schiit is probably your best bet for just over that price.  The combo is $200.  If you need it to be less, get the amp first and the DAC second (this is assuming you're playing from Mac/PC, as the DAC is USB-only).

Alright, I will sell some of my crap and look into picking that up.

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #4,671 of 6,388
Quote:

IMO I'd get the Asgard 2 over the m/m stack. You could pair the A2 with the odac and have basically an end game combo right at your budget of $400.

gL!!

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #4,672 of 6,388
Quote:

IMO I'd get the Asgard 2 over the m/m stack. You could pair the A2 with the odac and have basically an end game combo right at your budget of $400.

gL!!

$400 including the Mad Dogs - not $400 in addition to the MDs - or at least that's the way I read it.

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #4,673 of 6,388
^^Oh, maybe I read that wrong. I thought he had a $400 budget for the amp and dac...haven't finish the first cup of coffee. 
size]

m/m stack is $200 and A2/odac is $400. IMO it's money well spent though. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #4,674 of 6,388

gL!!

:D

If I didn't own my A-GD stuff, I'd go for that.

Mar 31, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #4,675 of 6,388
Mar 31, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #4,677 of 6,388
[size=10.0pt]Can anyone comment on how the Vamp Verza would drive these?  I remember reading that the original Vamp struggled with the MD.  The Verza has more power over the original though.[/size] (150mW x 2 (USB Mode), 130mW x 2 (iOS Mode)[size=10.0pt].  [/size]

[size=10.0pt]I tried the dt880/250 with the Verza at guitar center yesterday and I did have to get close to max but it still sounded pretty good.  It was also noisy and them being semi open probably contributed.   [/size]

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #4,678 of 6,388
Quote:
[size=10.0pt]Can anyone comment on how the Vamp Verza would drive these?  I remember reading that the original Vamp struggled with the MD.  The Verza has more power over the original though.[/size] (150mW x 2 (USB Mode), 130mW x 2 (iOS Mode)[size=10.0pt].  [/size]

[size=10.0pt]I tried the dt880/250 with the Verza at guitar center yesterday and I did have to get close to max but it still sounded pretty good.  It was also noisy and them being semi open probably contributed.   [/size]

It's a matter of gain more than power in this case.

I can only achieve moderate volume level with the 250ohms beyer on my Fostex HP-A3 (at full volume). It's already loud @ 1PM with the Hifimans 400/500 and it has more than enough gain for the MDs as well (more or less the same volume on the dial). 

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #4,679 of 6,388
Quote:

It's a matter of gain more than power in this case.

I can only achieve moderate volume level with the 250ohms beyer on my Fostex HP-A3 (at full volume). It's already loud @ 1PM with the Hifimans 400/500 and it has more than enough gain for the MDs as well (more or less the same volume on the dial). 

[size=10.0pt]Thanks. So it sounds like I should be ok since I was able to get the 880’s to an acceptable level with the gain set to high on the Verza.  [/size]

[size=10.0pt]I really liked what I heard from the dt880’s and almost bought them but I want to hear the MD’s first.  I will be using them for mostly metal.  I like bass but from what I read a little eq and the bass boost on the Verza should satisfy that need.  Plus I have the m100s when I want to go overkill.  They just don’t do it for me with some of my metal.[/size]

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #4,680 of 6,388
Quote:

I'm thinking about buying both the Mad Dogs + alpha pads and also the D2k / D5k with Lawton angle pads.

As they are both 'closed' phones, in your opinion which would you say has the larger soundstage?.. the D2k or MD. 

I have MD's (though my Alpha Pads seem to be somewhere in the USPS's intestines, so they have Dog Pads right now; Dan's going above and beyond, though) as well as D2000s, HD580s, and AKG K550s. Amp-wise, I've tried all four on my ca. 1999 HeadRoom Total AirHead, a 2006 HeadRoom Micro Amp with desktop module, and a post-2007 HeadRoom Portable Micro Amp. I run all the amps directly off of the headphone jack on my MacBook or iPhone 4S, using those components' internal DACs.

The difference in stage size/width/palpability between the Denon and MD is considerably less than the improvement rendered to both in that department by an amp with well-designed crossfeed. I would dismiss out of hand any amp lacking a crossfeed circuit, and I think anyone else who doesn't primarily listen to binaural recordings should, too.

Quote:

Headroom Total BitHead. It has adequate drive, a well-engineered crossfeed circuit, and a built-in DAC. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back