"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Mar 9, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #4,066 of 6,388
Quote:
As a noob who's been pretty happy with AD700s, I got my MDs today and have to say I couldn't really tell the difference between the the two (apart from the obvious of open vs closed). I'm only running these on an Xonar DG, could this be why? I blew all my spending money on the MDs, so I don't really have any left for an amp or anything. Does anyone have advice? Also the MD clamp with my glasses kills my ears. I'm bad at this whole thing
frown.gif

As someone else mentioned the AD700 is a very good can, so that would be part of the issue of not hearing a huge difference. The other issue is that you'll need a decent desktop amp to get the MD to perform at it's best. To my ears, the MD scales well...meaning the better the amp the better it will sound. 

Something like the fiio e09k would give you a nice start and really open up with the MD for you. It would also work well with the AD700. 

gL!!

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #4,067 of 6,388
Quote:

As someone else mentioned the AD700 is a very good can, so that would be part of the issue of not hearing a huge difference. The other issue is that you'll need a decent desktop amp to get the MD to perform at it's best. To my ears, the MD scales well...meaning the better the amp the better it will sound. 

Something like the fiio e09k would give you a nice start and really open up with the MD for you. It would also work well with the AD700. 

gL!!

Matt

I don't have an external portable or desktop amp either....but I do have the powerful output of the Colorfly C4 (similar power to Ibasso DX100)....of which, Dan (Mrspeakers) said would drive the mad dogs just fine, from the 6.3 headphone jack. May the jump into the high end portable source product, forgo the burning need for additional amps......at least to the 'sounds very good' level....but i take your point that every additional bit of hardware will be rewarded also....

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #4,068 of 6,388
Anyone else find the comfort strap makes the top of your head itchy?

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #4,070 of 6,388
Quote:
This is probably the wrong place to ask about comparisons, since all the dedicated fans of the MD will be on this thread and all the dedicated fans of the HE-400 will be on that thread. However, here's a quick summary of what most have said between the two: The MD is a brighter, some say more neutral, headphone, whereas the HE-400 has a bit more low-end response. The MD has better imaging and better pinpoint accuracy, but the soundstage isn't as wide as the fully-open HE-400. Comfort opinions vary because the two cans are built radically different from one another in terms of earpads: the HE400 has thin velours reminiscent of Beyer or Sennhesier gear; the MD with Alpha Pads are more like the pillows of an XB500 or MDR-1R, for example.

Isolation will definitely not be any issue at all with the MD; they isolate fantastically well even with the old Dog Pads. The Alpha Pads make it even better. If you're considering your new cans for use on the train or in a public area, the Mad Dog definitely has an advantage to the hear-all, broadcast-all open design of the HE-400 (obviously).

Good luck!

Thank you very much! :D

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #4,072 of 6,388
Question: does the mad dog come with a 6.3 mm adapter?  i just checked the mad dog site and it said it came with a 7mm jack cable.

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #4,075 of 6,388

I may go ahead and try to get one then. I'd just hate to spend more money and find out I still can't tell the difference, haha. To use the E09K, do I also need the E17 device? I'm curious about the Schiit Magni as well, that's a bit a cheaper than the e09k.

thanks so much for your help.

mrspeakers would you be able to cancel the return request I made? the ID is 24

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #4,078 of 6,388
Some people say that the MD is efficient. I don't agree. I've tried it with all sorts of portables and desktop amps. It will sound decent on something like an e17, but you'll really need an e09 or better to get the most from them.

Then it becomes a question of what you feel comfortable spending on an amp. I think that you can get the e09 from Amazon for about $110 shipped. It's a fair price really. The e09 has good punch and can be paired up with the e17 to give you a portable if you decide you need that later. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #4,079 of 6,388
Some people say that the MD is efficient. I don't agree. I've tried it with all sorts of portables and desktop amps. It will sound decent on something like an e17, but you'll really need an e09 or better to get the most from them.

Then it becomes a question of what you feel comfortable spending on an amp. I think that you can get the e09 from Amazon for about $110 shipped. It's a fair price really. The e09 has good punch and can be paired up with the e17 to give you a portable if you decide you need that later. 

Hello again; do you know which would be a better pairing with my magni amp in your opinion?  The HD650 or the Mad Dog?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back