"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Feb 22, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #3,526 of 6,388
I knew it seemed to short.. He'll be using them on planes.

Feb 22, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #3,527 of 6,388
Will these be comfortable on the largest of heads? I ask because I wear a size 8 baseball cap. I saw someone mention 7 5/8s earlier, but I'd definitely need bigger.

I also was wondering if someone could suggest a portable amp around $100. I saw some mentions of Fiios earlier, and am curious as to other options, or what to expect out of the Fiios ... New to the website, got some HD598s based on the reviews here months ago, but need some closed cans now, too, and I'm definitely thinking these would fit the bill. TIA!

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #3,528 of 6,388
Quote:
Will these be comfortable on the largest of heads? I ask because I wear a size 8 baseball cap. I saw someone mention 7 5/8s earlier, but I'd definitely need bigger.

I also was wondering if someone could suggest a portable amp around $100. I saw some mentions of Fiios earlier, and am curious as to other options, or what to expect out of the Fiios ... New to the website, got some HD598s based on the reviews here months ago, but need some closed cans now, too, and I'm definitely thinking these would fit the bill. TIA!

I can't be positive as to how comfortable they'll be for you, but on me (7 5/8) they have more than an inch of adjustment left on each side.  They should have plenty of room for you.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #3,529 of 6,388
This may be really random but MrSpeakers was a really nice guy when I met him. I was walking around at a meet with my He-400 and his first comment to me was "Want to hear a closed back ortho?" lol 

When I save up a bit more money I'm going to be looking at the mad dogs for sure. I only heard them off the magni/modi stack and they were really great sounding. I was really surprised about the isolation as well and with the new alpha dogs there were suuuuuuper comfortable (to me at least). 

I just hate having to pay CA tax.. sigh.. :frowning2: lol 

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #3,530 of 6,388
Quote:

Plus the headband bends really easily.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #3,531 of 6,388
Quote:

Plenty of good choices.  Look at my sig and see how many Fiio's I have.  Priced from $25 for E-6 to $59 foe E-11 to around $80 for E07, they are all good at their price point.  I prefer E-11 but I also use it WITH my ZO by Digizoid ($100) in a double amp setup.  Anyway, plenty of good options. 

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #3,532 of 6,388
Will these be comfortable on the largest of heads?

I also was wondering if someone could suggest a portable amp around $100./quote]

I have a large dome too. There is some clamp, but the pads are very cushioned and the headband is easily stretched.

As for the amp, been hearing good things about the C&C BH. Still waiting on a some guys that have Mad Dogs and are going to give there impressions soon, hopefully.

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #3,533 of 6,388
Quote:

For Mad Dog, I think you may want to look at either C&C BH or JDS Labs C421 (w/ AD8620) or maybe the upcoming C5.

I couldn't get any good sound out of the Mad Dog with my Fiio E12, or an O2. It's surprisingly a picky headphone in terms of amp and source.

Without the right amp/source combo, Mad Dog sounds overly warm and dark, with very little treble.

I did get some pretty good results out of Meridian Explorer DAC, though, and my brother said he enjoyed it with the Burson Conductor.

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #3,534 of 6,388
Quote:
If have not hear them. but the guy who did the 50 Flagship review said this one for classical:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009S331VU/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1M3S6DPZQNMXVYQK1028&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

I could be mistaken, but I thought he was referring to these. If you do go with these, then spend the left over on a decent amp.

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD900-Audiophile-Open-air-Headphones/dp/B0006OQY2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361560990&sr=8-1&keywords=ATH-AD900

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #3,535 of 6,388
^^ My fault, you are right. I copied the wrong hp.
redface.gif

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #3,536 of 6,388
Forgot to clarify my inquiry a few pages back regarding clamp force...

Dan PM'd me helpfully with some tips, and it turned out that one part of my headband had been bent more than another, causing uneven pressure, I was also wearing the headphones too loosely... that, and I had a migraine that I didn't know was there (lol) and I thought it was caused by the headphones. With all that cleared up, the mad dogs are back to pillows-on-my-ears status.

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #3,538 of 6,388
Quote:

For Mad Dog, I think you may want to look at either C&C BH or JDS Labs C421 (w/ AD8620) or maybe the upcoming C5.

I couldn't get any good sound out of the Mad Dog with my Fiio E12, or an O2. It's surprisingly a picky headphone in terms of amp and source.

Without the right amp/source combo, Mad Dog sounds overly warm and dark, with very little treble.

I did get some pretty good results out of Meridian Explorer DAC, though, and my brother said he enjoyed it with the Burson Conductor.

That's informative, thank you!

I'm having the same voicing issue with the Fostex HP-A3 which is rather smooth. The overall sound is too dark for my taste and I need to play with EQ to make it more to my liking.
I might consider the Explorer but I cannot find it in France :/

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #3,539 of 6,388
I have received my alpha pads today! Installation was a breeze, except you'd have to be very careful while stretching the pads; On one of the pads, I've torn the stretchy material due to excessive force, but managed to hold it up with double sided tape! The comfort was instantly improved, and so was the sound quality and soundstage.  Would definitely recommend this upgrade.

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #3,540 of 6,388
I'm contemplating an ALO Rx MK3 for the Mad Dogs.... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back