"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Feb 20, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #3,496 of 6,388
Quote:
I'm thinking I should be good with my asgard but then I read somewhere that the asgard isn't friendly with ortho's.  I hope that's not the case.

The only ortho the Asgard wouldn't work for is the Hifiman HE-6 (and possibly the HE-5LE).  I use an Asgard with the MD every day (well every work day) and have zero issues.

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #3,497 of 6,388
Quote:

The only ortho the Asgard wouldn't work for is the Hifiman HE-6 (and possibly the HE-5LE).  I use an Asgard with the MD every day (well every work day) and have zero issues.

Thanks for the peace of mind.  Just wondering what DAC you are using with the Asgard.  I currently use the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD for my DAC and was wondering if there is a better pairing with the Asgard

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #3,498 of 6,388
Quote:

Not too many people are taking advantage of that return policy 
size]

They will have a similar punch to the Denons, but they'll be a little smoother across the midrange and the bass will be much more controlled. 

I agree with this as well.  

However, I've been thinking about something I find very interesting.  That comparison is between a stock pair of Denons and a modded pair of T50RPs (Mad Dogs)

Has any one compared a MarkL pair of Denons to the Mad Dogs?

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #3,499 of 6,388
Quote:
Thanks for the peace of mind.  Just wondering what DAC you are using with the Asgard.  I currently use the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD for my DAC and was wondering if there is a better pairing with the Asgard

I've got a HRT Music streamer II that I use with my Asgard.  To be honest, I'm not really the person to consult regarding DACs as most of my listening on my Cavalli LG or Decware amps comes via Denon SACD players or my Pro-Ject turntable.  I'm sure someone else can chime in to help you find a good DAC pairing. 

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #3,500 of 6,388
Quote:

I agree with this as well.  

However, I've been thinking about something I find very interesting.  That comparison is between a stock pair of Denons and a modded pair of T50RPs (Mad Dogs)

Has any one compared a MarkL pair of Denons to the Mad Dogs?

I actually created a thread asking this same question and here is MalveauX response

"Both are excellent all around headphones.

It comes down to what you want. The D2000 has looser, but more volumous sub-bass, and a little brighter treble, and a slightly better sound stage. The Mad Dog is more neutral, tighter, better controlled, slightly smaller sound stage (depending on pads used; stax pads are another story). If you're going to dampen the Denons, I would just say go ahead and go Mad Dog, you'll appreciate the planar mids more and still have the same bass, but with more control; and if you add sr007 stax pads you'll have a very similar sound stage as your denons. Then just consider comfort. The Denons are easily more comfortable, so if you think you can stand a heavier headphone with a little less comfort, then go Mad Dog."

This was before the Alpha Pads came out so I'm not certain what his response would be now.

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #3,501 of 6,388
Stax pad mod? What does it do?

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #3,502 of 6,388
Quote:
I actually created a thread asking this same question and here is MalveauX response

"Both are excellent all around headphones.

It comes down to what you want. The D2000 has looser, but more volumous sub-bass, and a little brighter treble, and a slightly better sound stage. The Mad Dog is more neutral, tighter, better controlled, slightly smaller sound stage (depending on pads used; stax pads are another story). If you're going to dampen the Denons, I would just say go ahead and go Mad Dog, you'll appreciate the planar mids more and still have the same bass, but with more control; and if you add sr007 stax pads you'll have a very similar sound stage as your denons. Then just consider comfort. The Denons are easily more comfortable, so if you think you can stand a heavier headphone with a little less comfort, then go Mad Dog."

This was before the Alpha Pads came out so I'm not certain what his response would be now.

Looks like the D2000

Stock vs. stock the Denon 7000/5000 run away from the T50RPs.  Will the Mad Dogs be able to catch up and pass the D7000/D5000?

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #3,503 of 6,388
Quote:

Looks like the D2000

Stock vs. stock the Denon 7000/5000 run away from the T50RPs.  Will the Mad Dogs be able to catch up and pass the D7000/D5000?

The difference is lesser than one might think.
I would never choose stock D5K over Mad Dogs, too much bloody, boomy bass. Dampened with Angle Pads it holds its own just fine. I turn to Denon when I need more impact, bass has more slam and treble more sizzle, also they sound more open and spacious than Mad Dogs even with Alpha Pads. Details are about the same with D5K having a slight edge.
So in my opinion and to my taste, price difference aside, modded D5K with pads slightly outruns Mad Dogs.

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #3,504 of 6,388
I'm going to pop in and say that the D2000 probably isn't worth the price they're commanding since they've been discontinued. I can't think of any equivliant, but up to $300 for a used headphone that cost less than that new . . . Eenope.

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #3,505 of 6,388
Got my alpha pads today. Using a magni/modi for my DAC/amp and I love these things. Comfort is a huge step above the dog pads (where my ear would touch the fabric inside very slightly) and I am enjoying the sound a whole lot more. The "enhanced" treble made me drop the slight EQ I had to boost it before and I am extremely pleased.

I did have a little trouble installing them, but that was most likely because I was worried I would tear them.

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #3,506 of 6,388
Oooh... it has better treble??? AWESOME, I love crisp treble!

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #3,507 of 6,388
Quote:
Oooh... it has better treble??? AWESOME, I love crisp treble!

Keep in mind the treble on these cans is weird IMO (in a good way). The treble isn'tclose to being ruler flat, it's rolled off, so it sounds a bit quieter than the rest of the sound spectrum. Despite this the treble retains an incredible amount of detail and awesomeness. Just know that this isn't a treble happy 'phone.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #3,509 of 6,388
Keep in mind the treble on these cans is weird IMO (in a good way). The treble isn'tclose to being ruler flat, it's rolled off, so it sounds a bit quieter than the rest of the sound spectrum. Despite this the treble retains an incredible amount of detail and awesomeness. Just know that this isn't a treble happy 'phone.
That's good, as I listen to a lot of vocalized and watch anime, and as you know, has too much treble in the music itself.

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #3,510 of 6,388
Quote:
That's good, as I listen to a lot of vocalized and watch anime, and as you know, has too much treble in the music itself.

Eeyup, I know what you mean.
I'd also like to say I got my custom Project H Amp/DAC combo in today with a CS8416/CS4398 DAC and O2 with OPA2134 opamp, and it makes the mad dogs sound wonderful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back