"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Feb 14, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #3,331 of 6,388
Quote:
I don't know if this has been asked before, how is the durability on these? Not like how much abuse they could take, but if they were put in a case and carried around, how would they last? How strong is the connection between the metal and top part of the headband?

I've traveled with mine in no case (separate area of backpack) and they've held up perfectly. I travel for work so i do it fairly often, taking my MDs each time. Had a small run in with TSA once that ended up with bending the floating foam disk (newer MD's had this integrated) but that was an easy fix.

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #3,333 of 6,388
Got a broken DT770 Pro 80Ohm and after a good while of looking at headphones I've found the Mad Dog Alpha headphones to be most likely the best bang for buck out of what I can get, but I am a bit worried that it might not have the same bass punch as the DT770's. Now it wouldn't be any problem to get the Mad Dog headphones and return them if they disappointed but I'm not in the US so I don't have that option, which is why I am a bit worried that it might disappoint since I do like some bass impact.

Anyone that have owned both and that would care to comment?

Thanks!
-Andeby

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #3,334 of 6,388
Quote:
Got a broken DT770 Pro 80Ohm and after a good while of looking at headphones I've found the Mad Dog Alpha headphones to be most likely the best bang for buck out of what I can get, but I am a bit worried that it might not have the same bass punch as the DT770's. Now it wouldn't be any problem to get the Mad Dog headphones and return them if they disappointed but I'm not in the US so I don't have that option, which is why I am a bit worried that it might disappoint since I do like some bass impact.

Anyone that have owned both and that would care to comment?

Thanks!
-Andeby

Two different cans, at least to my ears.
The Beyers were inconsistent to my ears. Sometimes, on some songs it sounded sibilant, other times the bass was OVERPOWERING everything, veiling especially Male vocals. Although very comfortable, isolating, etc. for my preferences the Mad Dogs walk ALL OVER the Beyers as a complete package.

Now, you WILL not get the same bass Quantity! The quality is better on the Mad Dogs. As for impact or "slam", the MDs do have some but definitely not like the Beyers...

If you are really looking for powerful, impactful cans, I don't think the Mad Dogs will be your cup of tea. You could look into M-Audio Q40s, V-Moda M100s, or the ones I'm trying right now, Yamaha Pro 500s...

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #3,335 of 6,388
I tried the DT770 80Ω in hopes to replace my AT-M50s at work, but I did not like the blaring treble and I didn't feel that the bass was significantly impactful when compared to the M50, and certainly not at the same level as my Denon D5000.  That being said, I feel that the Mad Dogs with Alpha pads have plenty of bass slam, and this is coming from someone that loves the D5000's bass.

After having listened for several hours now with the Mad Dogs, the bass seems much more natural and real, while the Denon's bass seems boosted.  The extra bass of the Denon's is fun with a track from Noisia while still solid-sounding with the Mad Dogs, but listening to something from Steely Dan just sounds like absolute bliss with the Mad Dogs, and Norah Jones...omg!

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #3,336 of 6,388
Quote:
I tried the DT770 80Ω in hopes to replace my AT-M50s at work, but I did not like the blaring treble and I didn't feel that the bass was significantly impactful when compared to the M50, and certainly not at the same level as my Denon D5000.  That being said, I feel that the Mad Dogs with Alpha pads have plenty of bass slam, and this is coming from someone that loves the D5000's bass.

After having listened for several hours now with the Mad Dogs, the bass seems much more natural and real, while the Denon's bass seems boosted.  The extra bass of the Denon's is fun with a track from Noisia while still solid-sounding with the Mad Dogs, but listening to something from Steely Dan just sounds like absolute bliss with the Mad Dogs, and Norah Jones...omg!

Oh yeah, I had the Denon D5000s and they were actually a treat. The only "downside" was the leakage but I loved them. Anyway, agree with what you say about the bass Quality on the MDs... it is on another level.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #3,337 of 6,388
Quote:
Objectively, I can't find the sensitivity spec on the MD website anymore, but I recall it being 92dB/mW back in the 840 pad days.  Extrapolating Tyll's MD power measurements for 90dB (0.52mW) gives me 92.84dB/mW.

Please correct me, Dan.

I haven't really looked at it.  I need to setup a test rig to actually measure it.  It's not a super precise metric because what frequency you measure at changes the number.  I could arbitrarily say 1KHz and then the Alpha Pad is 4-5 dB more efficient, but I could also say 200Hz and they'd be almost the same.  Roughly I'd estimate the Alpha pad at 94-95 dB/mW using 1K as the reference, but that's just a swag...  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 14, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #3,338 of 6,388
If you like the pure volume and impact that the DT770s provide in terms of bass, you definitely should look elsewhere. These have much less quantity of bass than the DT770 (though the quality is way better).

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #3,340 of 6,388
Obviously. Joanna Newsom+Mad Dogs=2, which is patently less than, or equal to, 3.

:p

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #3,341 of 6,388
don't you get smart with me young man

edit: also, sorry if this has been asked before, but are the alpha pads just lcd-2 pads?

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #3,342 of 6,388
Quote:
Roughly I'd estimate the Alpha pad at 94-95 dB/mW using 1K as the reference, but that's just a swag...  

Thanks for the sensitivity guess.

Quote:
It's not a super precise metric because what frequency you measure at changes the number.

Audioholics posted an interesting article on loudspeaker sensitivity specifications and measurements recently: http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/loudspeaker-sensitivity

They recommend using an averaged sweep from 300Hz to 3kHz (same as the National Research Council of Canada).

I wonder what other headphone manufacturers do for their numbers...

Feb 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #3,344 of 6,388
Quote:

edit: also, sorry if this has been asked before, but are the alpha pads just lcd-2 pads?

Nope.  They are our design.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #3,345 of 6,388
Just got my AlphaDogs in. I am really impressed. That leather strap on top is so amazingly comfortable Dan. 
I don't want to make any sound judgements on them but needless to say they are not going back. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back