"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jan 29, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #2,971 of 6,388
Anyone do any EQ on their Mad Dogs? I find that a very slight +0.5db on 3k+ on the J River Parametric Equalizer does wonders to satisfy my tizz cravings and opens the sound quite a bit. And then again, the dark signature is a tick away when I want it!

Jan 29, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #2,972 of 6,388
I like a tiny bump in the lows. But I don't really 'EQ' per se, I listen on an AMB M^3 so it is via the bass knob.  
biggrin.gif
  A small twist does wonders, and the ortho drivers handle it no problem. They don't muddy up either.

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #2,973 of 6,388
Quote:
Yeah i want them with the dog pads. Recently I found out that my right ear sticks out abit more than on my left side, for example I have problems to use my Sony mdr-1r due to comfort as I touch the plastic infront of the driver.

I can't say whether or not your ears will touch the headphone baffle, but there is some acoustic foam surrounding the driver and another layer between the driver and your ears. What that means for you is that even if your ears do touch, it'll be against foam that somewhat acts as a soft cushion. I think it would be worth trying.

Quote:
Anyone do any EQ on their Mad Dogs? I find that a very slight +0.5db on 3k+ on the J River Parametric Equalizer does wonders to satisfy my tizz cravings and opens the sound quite a bit. And then again, the dark signature is a tick away when I want it!

Yes. Measurements show a small dip around 40-80Hz on the Mad Dog. I bump that area up just a bit, as it makes the Mad Dog sound slightly less dry. I also bump down the 10KHz spot, as measurements show many T50RPs (including the MD and Paradox) with a small peak in that area. I slightly prefer the sound like this, though they're still excellent without EQ.

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #2,974 of 6,388
Jan 29, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #2,975 of 6,388
Quote:
Gosh, I'm a stalker today, but...

Hey preproman, if you're still there, I saw that you've passed on the HE-400's in the headamp demo thread. I was wondering if you were ready to post your impressions versus the Mad Dogs? Sorry to poke you, too!

I know Matt loves his 400s.  But here it is anyway..

If I had to but only one - I would buy the MD.  Why?  Better tonal balance across the spectrum.  Although the 400s are a very fun headphone especially for rap, where the HE-4 is not and better at vocals and classical IMO.  I just can't take the constant bass jabs and then the out of know where ice pick treble to the skull the 400s dish out.  While with the MD my entire listening experience is on the same level with just a slight tilt downwards of the bass.  Which make them fun enough for me.  Plus IMO the MD goes with more music geners when compared to the 400s.  

I'll have a hard time picking the MD over the 500s though and in the end probably won't, and not a chance against the HE-6.  Now the MD and the 650s would be a dog fight. 

Back to the 400s.  They have a really big following and rightfully so but for me that amount of bass all the time is just a bit much for my taste.  I'm a more neutral with a slight favor for bass kinda guy.  That's why I would pick the 650s over the 600s any day.  This is the same reason I'm not a big fan of the LCD-2.2 and love the LCD-3s.  Also the same reason I'll pick the MD over the Paradox any day of the week.  However, it will be cool to use the Paradox as a listening tool because of it flat like FR.  Just not fun enough for me.  I hope this all makes sense.
biggrin.gif

I really want to take a listen to the AKG K702 65ths..

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #2,976 of 6,388
After reading so many good things about these headphones, I've decided they will be my next purchase after I sell off some of my equipment that goes unused

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #2,977 of 6,388
Quote:

I know Matt loves his 400s.  But here it is anyway..

If I had to but only one - I would buy the MD.  Why?  Better tonal balance across the spectrum.  Although the 400s are a very fun headphone especially for rap, where the HE-4 is not and better at vocals and classical IMO.  I just can't take the constant bass jabs and then the out of know where ice pick treble to the skull the 400s dish out.  While with the MD my entire listening experience is on the same level with just a slight tilt downwards of the bass.  Which make them fun enough for me.  Plus IMO the MD goes with more music geners when compared to the 400s.  

I'll have a hard time picking the MD over the 500s though and in the end probably won't, and not a chance against the HE-6.  Now the MD and the 650s would be a dog fight. 

Back to the 400s.  They have a really big following and rightfully so but for me that amount of bass all the time is just a bit much for my taste.  I'm a more neutral with a slight favor for bass kinda guy.  That's why I would pick the 650s over the 600s any day.  This is the same reason I'm not a big fan of the LCD-2.2 and love the LCD-3s.  Also the same reason I'll pick the MD over the Paradox any day of the week.  However, it will be cool to use the Paradox as a listening tool because of it flat like FR.  Just not fun enough for me.  I hope this all makes sense.
biggrin.gif

I really want to take a listen to the AKG K702 65ths..

As much as I love the he400, if I'm honest, and I like to be, I'd pick the MD and the hd650 over the he400. My tendencies are slowly but surely gravitating towards a more neutral response that is slightly dark and slightly warm. The MD and hd650 are closer than you might think. One is closed and the other open, but they are both right in my wheelhouse. The MD does vocals so well with a very natural and organic tone. I can listen to vocal centric music for hours with them and just get completely lost. 

I think that the biggest complement that I can give the MD is this...as a self professed geek and admitted equipment junkie, it's often difficult for me to  stop listening to the technical abilities of the hp's and just enjoy the music. With the MD's, I'm able to do this every time I put them on. 
size]

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #2,980 of 6,388
Could these be run directly out of a smartphone? If not, could an e6 drive them?

It COULD be done in theory... It will not be ideal, and might not get loud enough to reach your preferred listening level.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #2,981 of 6,388
Just ordered a 600 ohm DT880 on Amazon. Like new for $244
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #2,983 of 6,388
I ran them straight out of my iPhone for a bit. IMO it was adequate, but not fulfilling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back