"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jan 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #2,656 of 6,388
That's almost guaranteed to come from the potentiometer. It's very difficult to get the tracks perfectly even at the beginning with a standard taper pot. Chances are the mistracking follows through for most of the pot, but the effects are relatively insignificant higher up.

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #2,657 of 6,388
Wore my Dogs to class today with the iPhone 4S > Arrow 3G rig. Listening to Sly and the Family Stone's 'Fresh'.

I just couldn't take them off my head when I left the house. So I said screw it and whipped out the ol' umbrella so they didn't get ruined in this crap weather :]

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #2,658 of 6,388
Quote:
That's almost guaranteed to come from the potentiometer. It's very difficult to get the tracks perfectly even at the beginning with a standard taper pot. Chances are the mistracking follows through for most of the pot, but the effects are relatively insignificant higher up.

If I recall correctly, Ray Samuels throws out about 50% of the pots he gets due to tracking issues....

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 9, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #2,659 of 6,388
At that point I wonder if it'd almost be cheaper just to go with digital volume control.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #2,660 of 6,388
Quote:
At that point I wonder if it'd almost be cheaper just to go with digital volume control.

He does on a couple of products.  But that can have artifacts, too...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #2,661 of 6,388
Hi guys,

I've seen some guys on the forums do rewiring for their mad dogs. Now they have a pair of wires splitting and going to each cup instead of one straight wire to the left cup. What does that do to the mad dogs? Sorry I'm still a headphone newbie.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #2,662 of 6,388
In theory, it could reduce imbalance to the cups and give you more efficiency. In reality it probably wouldn't do much and would void the warranty. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #2,663 of 6,388
Quote:
Hi guys,

I've seen some guys on the forums do rewiring for their mad dogs. Now they have a pair of wires splitting and going to each cup instead of one straight wire to the left cup. What does that do to the mad dogs? Sorry I'm still a headphone newbie.

In most cases I'm aware of, this is done by people who want to use the Mad Dog with a balanced amp.  A balanced amp requires + and - wires for each channel, instead of having + for each channel with a shared ground (-).  

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #2,664 of 6,388
It also allows you to mod/damp both cups identically, previously impossible due to the jack on the one side.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #2,666 of 6,388
Quote:
It also allows you to mod/damp both cups identically, previously impossible due to the jack on the one side.

I wouldn't encourage that...  The units have been channel balanced during manufacturing, trying to change anything will likely degrade performance. Also, opening the phones up voids the warranty.

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #2,667 of 6,388
Quote:
Hi guys,

They looks prettier so your brain tells you they sound better. 
tongue.gif

I don't see any benefit to this other than changing the termination, different ergonomics from various cables and looks.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #2,668 of 6,388
Quote:

I wouldn't encourage that...  The units have been channel balanced during manufacturing, trying to change anything will likely degrade performance. Also, opening the phones up voids the warranty.

Oh whoops, I thought I was in the regular T50rp thread...

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #2,669 of 6,388
Isn't the manufacturers  warranty voided,after you do the mod??
So...?,any issues,we just send it back to you-correct?

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #2,670 of 6,388
Quote:
Isn't the manufacturers  warranty voided,after you do the mod??
So...?,any issues,we just send it back to you-correct?

Yes, I warranty the headphone, not Fostex.  So even if one of their parts fails I cover it, as my updates void the original warranty.  So far, I have only had one warranty repair (just a cable issue) and one with bad ball joint that hasn't been sent back yet, so they've been super reliable.

That said, I don't warranty units that have been opened or modified, for obvious reasons...  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back