"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jan 4, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #2,536 of 6,388
Quote:

Turns them into bonafied Mad Dogs

^^ lol...true that. Because these are an ortho and a significant amount of "modding material" has been used to achieve their sound signature, they are harder to drive than other headphones. This does not mean that another "better" amp will just make them louder. It means that the right amp will help to realize their potential. This typically means a more refined sound with better dynamics. Not more bass, but more realistic bass with a more natural visceral impact. Bass drum sounds more like a bass drum. 

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #2,538 of 6,388
That clarifies a lot now. Maybe I should get an E9 for myself, or maybe something better.

Seems like the upcoming E12 puts out a lot of power. I might consider getting that. + it's in my price range.

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #2,540 of 6,388
I will be patient 
atsmile.gif

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #2,541 of 6,388
Quote:
Newbie question: So what exactly does a good amp do to these mad puppies?

Are you asking in general (why do I need an amp), or what does it do to these puppies specifically?

Remember that the listening experience is the complete end-to-end chain from the bit stream at the source to your brain. Assuming that everything else is top-notch (that's a big if), an amp is like taking the wax out of your ears. All of a sudden, you can hear the details.

You need to focus on the accuracy of the soundstage image (phase response - can you locate the guitar just to the left of center and slightly back), distortion (that flute sounds like a cheap whistle), and dynamic range (from hearing a pin drop to thunderous bass drums).

Where is the limitation in your system? It's tough to tell. Assuming the bit source is good, e.g. FLAC file, it's usually in the D/A conversion process of the PC. It's nothing like what a stand-alone system can do.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #2,542 of 6,388
Recently received my MrSpeakers Mad Dogs and have been listening extensively through my Objective 2 amplifier. These outperform my HD600 in many ways. They are more linear and they seem to present the music just a tiny bit more clearly than the Sennheisers do. In addition, their more linear response reaches into very deep bass, where the HD600 meets its biggest weakness. As a result, I'll be keeping these and am in the process of selling the Senns on eBay with the help of a friend.

So, I would like to extend many thanks to Dan at MrSpeakers.com for answering any inquiries I had along the way and for developing a top-notch professionally modified product. You did a wonderful job and have pleased yet another customer.
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #2,543 of 6,388
I am actually extremely pleasantly surprised by these. I literally haven't picked up the ESP950, T5p, or PS1000 in days. That's not to say they're technically superior to any of those (though you could make a case against the ESP), but they're just so fantastically fun to listen to. They're comfortable enough that I forget I'm wearing them, forward enough that I'm able to get lost in the music without it being spoiled by a weird small-spectrum veil, and detailed enough that I can truly enjoy the music. And all for less than I'd usually spend on a USB DAC.

I really wish to thank you, Dan. These are fantastic.

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #2,544 of 6,388
I like what I read about the bass and mids but as I prefer a shimmering Highs also...
Just worried about the treble presentation on these....Are they on the dark side of the spectrum?
Will I be disappointed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back