"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Nov 23, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #1,906 of 6,388
Quote:
ODAC + O2 amp. I got mine from JDS Labs. You could also consider the Leckerton Audio UHA-6S. I haven't heard or looked into the ones you mentioned.

Heh, I actually own the Leckerton!  Using it in my portable rig setup and love it.

Now I'm looking to get something I can just keep on my desk instead of moving it around all the time :)  I know, I know, this is totally a "first world problem"...  

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #1,907 of 6,388
Quote:
Heh, I actually own the Leckerton!  Using it in my portable rig setup and love it.

Now I'm looking to get something I can just keep on my desk instead of moving it around all the time :)  I know, I know, this is totally a "first world problem"...  

Maybe the Schiit Lyr? Or the Woo Audio WA3.

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #1,908 of 6,388
Hey guys,

I have some overtime money coming in soon and would like to get myself a dedicated desktop amp for my PC setup, specifically with the Mad Dogs in mind.  I've searched this thread *somewhat* and am currently looking into the Schiit Asgard and Matrix M-Stage among others. 

Any recommendations for a budget of 300-500 dollars?  

I own/use the Asgard with the Mad Dogs, and I think it's a very good pairing (I use this setup at work). That being said, I think the Schiit Lyr is an even better match, and fits withing your price range (if you get it used, you could even throw an ODac or something like that in with it). I personally feel that the Lyr is the sweet-spot for pulling the best sound out of the Mad Dog while still having a good price/performance ratio.

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #1,909 of 6,388
Thanks guys,

I'll look into the Lyr and O2 amps.  If anyone else has recommendations, I'll be keeping an eye out!

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #1,910 of 6,388
Thanks guys, I'll look into the Lyr and O2 amps. If anyone else has recommendations, I'll be keeping an eye out!

Though the Lyr does have 6 watts of power, don't use all of them for the mad dogs yeah? XD

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #1,911 of 6,388
Quote:
Okay, is it just me or do these sound a little... cloudy/hazy? Like especially the vocals, for some reason I don't feel that they are as clear as my T1's, ER4S', or even my SE125 in that respect.

Other than that... they are pretty darn good.

Btw I listen to my music at low levels, if that helps.

I'm with you. At low levels the MDs can sound quite hazy (in my vernacular, I want to call the sound "distant"). Even well amped and louder they can still sound a bit hazy. I find myself readjusting the volume control on the amp from song to song when I'm listening more critically to find the sweet spot to get rid of the haziness yet not be overloud for the recording. Unamped, out of the iPhone 4, for example, I can't get enough juice for many recordings, especially classical orchestral or other dense music. I've found the haziness to be a factor regardless of amp or not. They simply don't resolve well and become very transparent until driven a bit louder (IMHO/YMMV).

Others have noted this sensibility may be relative to faster/more treble oriented headphones, however I've tried the headphones out on several family member audiophiles who listen primarily to speakers and not headphones and gotten the same impression from them. Also that, when not well amped and hitting the right volume, the headphones (especially with classical) just never quite sound "alive". 

Don't get me wrong, I love my MD's (w/ dog pads), but I find them to be a little finicky about giving the great sound they can give.

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #1,912 of 6,388
Have you tried the shure pads version? And please tell us, what kind of music do you listen to?

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #1,913 of 6,388

Quote:
Okay, is it just me or do these sound a little... cloudy/hazy? Like especially the vocals, for some reason I don't feel that they are as clear as my T1's, ER4S', or even my SE125 in that respect.

I'm with you. At low levels the MDs can sound quite hazy (in my vernacular, I want to call the sound "distant"). Even well amped and louder they can still sound a bit hazy. I find myself readjusting the volume control on the amp from song to song when I'm listening more critically to find the sweet spot to get rid of the haziness yet not be overloud for the recording. Unamped, out of the iPhone 4, for example, I can't get enough juice for many recordings, especially classical orchestral or other dense music. I've found the haziness to be a factor regardless of amp or not. They simply don't resolve well and become very transparent until driven a bit louder (IMHO/YMMV).

Others have noted this sensibility may be relative to faster/more treble oriented headphones, however I've tried the headphones out on several family member audiophiles who listen primarily to speakers and not headphones and gotten the same impression from them. Also that, when not well amped and hitting the right volume, the headphones (especially with classical) just never quite sound "alive". 

Don't get me wrong, I love my MD's (w/ dog pads), but I find them to be a little finicky about giving the great sound they can give.

Have you tried the shure pads version? And please tell us, what kind of music do you listen to?

I assume you're asking me (moses667)? I have not tried the shure pads, but I wouldn't expect pads to have much impact on the type of changes I'm hearing with volume. I'm an audio omnivore. I don't listen to much contemporary top 40 or pop country, but pretty much run the gamut otherwise and appreciate the MDs as an all arounder.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #1,914 of 6,388
I assume you're asking me (moses667)? I have not tried the shure pads, but I wouldn't expect pads to have much impact on the type of changes I'm hearing with volume. I'm an audio omnivore. I don't listen to much contemporary top 40 or pop country, but pretty much run the gamut otherwise and appreciate the MDs as an all arounder.

Yes, I was asking you. I thought hitting on reply button brings something without quoting. My bad.

Back to the MD. The Dog Padz version is indeed more of an all rounder, while the Shure pads version will satisfy bocal lovers more. The difference are notable though YMMV. That being said, a friend of mine still think that both versions are dark in character. His preference is the opposite. He told me that the MD will have a more open sound with silver cable. He only mentioned that his cable is a silver Homegrown with Oyaide plug. I assume that your sonic preference is the same as him. So maybe you want to try something simillar.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #1,915 of 6,388
I ordered a pair of Mad Dogs (w/ dog pads) a few weeks ago. I've never listened to a pair of unmodded Fostex, so I don't really have a "fair" basis for comparison. Actually, having never listed to any headphones sporting planar-magnetic drivers, *ANY* comparison I use to judge them would be unfair. I only have expectations that are wholly built on head-fi raves and hype. Based on that alone, when I first listened to them, using my iPod and E11 setup, I was very disappointed. To me they sounded weak, had muddy lows, and presented an awkward sounding hollowness in certain vocals (especially on the Adele tracks I listened to). After about 45 minutes of listening, I tossed them back on the box and put my ES10s back on. Happiness.

A few days later, convinced I must be missing something, I plugged them into the Yaro desktop amp I use at work... I was rewarded with a completely different, and completely favorable, listening experience. They still couldn't hit a volume that even came close to "uncomfortable", but I had no problem achieving a very clear "listenable"  volume. Yesterday I returned to the lower 48 and finally hooked them up to a Nuforce Dia I recent bought my son. Volume can no longer be considered "an issue" for me.

It turned out running 100% digital signal through an amp capable of providing more-than-adequate power to my Mad Dogs put a huge grin on my face. Listening to DSOTM (24bit/48kHz) I was able to clearly and distinctly hear detail that had escaped my in the bazillion times I'd previously listened to the track. I checked; the ES10s reproduce it but much weaker and with much less distinction. And, I had to listen multiple times before I could say for certain I was hearing it. It might just be the drastic difference in isolation but I'm impressed, regardless.

Yes, I think I'm really going to enjoy these Mad Dogs. 

And now I absolutely must listen to a pair of high-end planar-magnetic headphones. This hobby/addiction/sickness is going to put me in the poorhouse someday. I just know it.

Okay, back to lurking.

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #1,916 of 6,388
Quote:
Yes, I was asking you. I thought hitting on reply button brings something without quoting. My bad.
Back to the MD. The Dog Padz version is indeed more of an all rounder, while the Shure pads version will satisfy bocal lovers more. The difference are notable though YMMV. That being said, a friend of mine still think that both versions are dark in character. His preference is the opposite. He told me that the MD will have a more open sound with silver cable. He only mentioned that his cable is a silver Homegrown with Oyaide plug. I assume that your sonic preference is the same as him. So maybe you want to try something simillar.

I read that Oyaide plug (right angle ?) seems to fit the earcup well. Would you confirm, please?

That could give a great opportunity to assemble an upgrade cable.

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #1,917 of 6,388
     I read that Oyaide plug (right angle ?) seems to fit the earcup well. Would you confirm, please?

That could give a great opportunity to assemble an upgrade cable.

His was straight plugged. I'll have to reconfirm the brand when I meet him again. Just to be sure.

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #1,918 of 6,388
Quote:
I ordered a pair of Mad Dogs (w/ dog pads) a few weeks ago. I've never listened to a pair of unmodded Fostex, so I don't really have a "fair" basis for comparison. Actually, having never listed to any headphones sporting planar-magnetic drivers, *ANY* comparison I use to judge them would be unfair. I only have expectations that are wholly built on head-fi raves and hype. Based on that alone, when I first listened to them, using my iPod and E11 setup, I was very disappointed. To me they sounded weak, had muddy lows, and presented an awkward sounding hollowness in certain vocals (especially on the Adele tracks I listened to). After about 45 minutes of listening, I tossed them back on the box and put my ES10s back on. Happiness.

A few days later, convinced I must be missing something, I plugged them into the Yaro desktop amp I use at work... I was rewarded with a completely different, and completely favorable, listening experience. They still couldn't hit a volume that even came close to "uncomfortable", but I had no problem achieving a very clear "listenable"  volume. Yesterday I returned to the lower 48 and finally hooked them up to a Nuforce Dia I recent bought my son. Volume can no longer be considered "an issue" for me.

It turned out running 100% digital signal through an amp capable of providing more-than-adequate power to my Mad Dogs put a huge grin on my face. Listening to DSOTM (24bit/48kHz) I was able to clearly and distinctly hear detail that had escaped my in the bazillion times I'd previously listened to the track. I checked; the ES10s reproduce it but much weaker and with much less distinction. And, I had to listen multiple times before I could say for certain I was hearing it. It might just be the drastic difference in isolation but I'm impressed, regardless.

Yes, I think I'm really going to enjoy these Mad Dogs. 

And now I absolutely must listen to a pair of high-end planar-magnetic headphones. This hobby/addiction/sickness is going to put me in the poorhouse someday. I just know it.

Okay, back to lurking.

When I first listened to my MD's, I was stuck with my portable setup...e17/ipod/lod. It sounded decent but there was no wow factor. When I got home and plugged them into the lyr and bf it was a completely different experience. At that point I knew that I wouldn't return them. They sounded fantastic and gave me exactly what I was looking for in a closed ortho. 

Isolation was very good. The bass hit deep and with refined texture. Smooth mids that reproduced female vocals with aplomb. 

They are not the easiest hp to drive. I suppose it has to do with being an ortho plus all the material used in the mod which would reduce their efficiency. I can turn up the volume pot higher than any of the other hp's I've owned. 

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #1,919 of 6,388
Quote:

I thought mids were really clear :0 

What kind of amp/dac are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back