"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Aug 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #678 of 6,388
Quote:
I'm not sure what the "aim" of the mad dogs is exactly, but they are far from "flat."

Everything's relative. Far away from what reference?

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #679 of 6,388
Quote:
I'm not sure what the "aim" of the mad dogs is exactly, but they are far from "flat."

Hmm. well, they're not flat like the Joe Grado HP1000 or HD600 but they're pretty flat compared to most other high end headphones I've used, all of which had some fairly obvious coloration.

They are a bit dark, yes, but i find them less dark than either the LCD3 or HD650. They're not "far" from flat. They deviate a bit from the most neutral headphones I've owned (mentioned above) but it's hardly as big a deviation from flat as the D5000 or the RS1.

It would help if you compared them to other headphones that you consider to be more flat or neutral. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #680 of 6,388
I'm mostly listening with the HD598's these days, which have close to a perfect sound signature for me. I definitely wouldn't mind a more detailed, less grainy sound though.

I really hope these live up to the hype. I'm waiting for more in-depth, critical reviews before I make the plunge.

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #681 of 6,388
Quote:
I'm mostly listening with the HD598's these days, which have close to a perfect sound signature for me. I definitely wouldn't mind a more detailed, less grainy sound though.

I really hope these live up to the hype. I'm waiting for more in-depth, critical reviews before I make the plunge.

As someone who has been using the HD598 a lot recently, I agree. These are very much less grainy than the 598s

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #682 of 6,388
Quote:
I don't know about you guys, but I'm jamming to some Mandrill and Cymande. I'm hoping they'll be as groovy through the Mad Dogs. 
normal_smile .gif

What are the general tastes in music of the frequenting owners of MD's? I'm curious to know. 

Back before I got my D5000's I listened to a lot of underground hip hop and metal. Some brostep every now and then.

D5000 changed my preferences by a bit, wanting to hear what the headphones are capable of and all that, but the MD's have had an even bigger impact. I can't really stand listening to a lot of hip hop (so much of it is so horribly produced, there's either sibilance or no DR whatsoever or both etc). I've fallen in love with Norah Jones's voice, it's something that really gets me with the MD's. Also some miscellaneous Bach (Hewitt with Australian chamber orch. or Stern & Zukerman) and Vivaldi (Perlman with London philharmonic orch.), Muddy Waters, Metallica, Pink Floyd etc. Still listen to stuff like Trivium every now and then, along with some psychedelic and goa trance.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #683 of 6,388
Quote:

Back before I got my D5000's I listened to a lot of underground hip hop and metal. Some brostep every now and then.

D5000 changed my preferences by a bit, wanting to hear what the headphones are capable of and all that, but the MD's have had an even bigger impact. I can't really stand listening to a lot of hip hop (so much of it is so horribly produced, there's either sibilance or no DR whatsoever or both etc). I've fallen in love with Norah Jones's voice, it's something that really gets me with the MD's. Also some miscellaneous Bach (Hewitt with Australian chamber orch. or Stern & Zukerman) and Vivaldi (Perlman with London philharmonic orch.), Muddy Waters, Metallica, Pink Floyd etc. Still listen to stuff like Trivium every now and then, along with some psychedelic and goa trance.

It's a shame that headphones, that serve the purpose of enjoying music, have turned you away from something you used to like. I've noticed that headphones with generally fast responses and no majorly distinct peaks or resonances are much more forgiving of poor recordings or bit-rates. They reveal the crap, but it's not pronounced. I never understand when people say: "Omg this headphone is so transparent it makes crappy recordings sound like ****". With actually revealing headphones, it's quite the opposite. What have been seemingly poor prog recordings from 70s, with getting better and better gear and understanding, I've gained much more musical enjoyment out of them. Players slightly off-key, those small little nuances in a drummer's timing and general differences in phrasing, all are better distinct. If it's a somewhat distorted sound of an instrument, it doesn't get to you in an annoying way. 

Slightly OT, but what on earth is brostep? I've never been one to categorize music too much...

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #685 of 6,388
Quote:
My tastes changed when I got better headphones too - it is more revealing, so it's less that bad recordings sound worse, it's more that good recordings sound good instead.

Naturally of course 
normal_smile .gif

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #686 of 6,388
Totally agree. I never heard vocal jazz before I got D5000 but now Diana Krall is my favorite and I always test new gear's bass depth with her tracks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #687 of 6,388
Some artists I started getting into because of getting higher quality gear (both headphones and speakers):

Alison Krauss, Esperanza Spalding, Loreena McKennitt

Most of their music sounds amazing. Some of it is great demo material, too

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #688 of 6,388
I have Spalding's latest album. Definitely a grammy hogger -styled, but enjoyable. Very different from her earlier albums. 

But yeah, I actually like less than pristine recorded stuff to try out my new gear. I mean, a well recorded piece will sound great on just about everything. This kind of music is often minimalistic and the tempo is often relaxed as well. Not much to try out there... Kind of Blue is a good example. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #689 of 6,388
I've tried but just can't get into E. Spalding. Believe me I've tried as others have commented on how good she is. I've listened to her first album a few times. Just can't enjoy it. Not for me. 
frown.gif

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #690 of 6,388
For me, I just really liked Esperanza (2nd album) and parts of Chamber Music Society. I wasn't a big fan of her latest, either.

quick MD update: after a few more days, I am still incredibly impressed by these and how they manage such wonderfully clear and precise imaging, black background and a non-peaky, warm-ish sound  (but not too warm or sloppy)

I'm almost tempted to order a second pair to keep at work for convenience, ha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back