"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Aug 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #646 of 6,388
Quote:
I haven't really even gotten to listen to them for longer than ten minutes yet I've been doing stuff around the house.
The Brown cable is Norn 2 - 4 conductor trilevel litz. 

The red one is of unknown specs to me as I am demoing a possible new series for Trevor and he wanted to get some feedback without my knowing.

Be sure to give some impressions soon. 
biggrin.gif

That purple cable reminds me of Morbids Q- Purple People Eater cable. Very nice looking! What's the pricing?

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #649 of 6,388
Quote:
Is that purple...looks more black to me.

Haha really..man, it even looks to have specs of lighter purple in it, no?

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #650 of 6,388
I've got to say I'm impressed by the Vmoda cable on these headphones, though I'm not a fan of it at home because I move around a lot and the lengthier stock cable has benefit. Having headphones with removable cables is underrated.

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #651 of 6,388
Quote:
I've got to say I'm impressed by the Vmoda cable on these headphones, though I'm not a fan of it at home because I move around a lot and the lengthier stock cable has benefit. Having headphones with removable cables is underrated.

Huh..
blink.gif

Aug 11, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #653 of 6,388
http://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/

It transfers audio clearly and it's quite durable. On the other hand, it's like half as long as the Fostex cable.

I'm not a cable junkie, I just thought 10 feet was too long for portable use, and was right.

I have that same cable, its very nice for 10 bucks and makes the Mad Dogs feel like they are wireless because of how light it is.

Matt and Paradox that cable is brown and black lol

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #655 of 6,388
So I have been listening to the Mad Dog's off and on over the last couple of days...these are really nice headphones.  At the price point, these are a great deal.  I would recommend these to ANY ONE who is not looking to spend a ton on a pair of cans and wants great sound.

I'm not going to get to in-depth on my opinion of these vs. the HE-400, but I will say that I find myself going back to the HE-400s.  I think honestly it's just my preference.  I like open cans and I like the sound signature of planar headphones.  I can say there is a very good chance that the Mad Dogs will be in my collection once again in the future.

These are some of the most comfortable and lightest headphones I've ever owned.  You put them on and it's a nice cool feeling that almost disappears once they warm up a bit from your ears.  I love putting these guys on - especially after wearing much heavier cans such as the HE-400, HE-500, etc.

This is one of the best deals available in the sub-400 price range.  400 on up and in my opinion it becomes a toss up between what you prefer in your headphones.  I don't use headphones on the road much, but if I did, I would without a doubt keep these and use them for that purpose.

If you have any specific questions about these compared to the Ultrasone Pro 900s, HE-400s, or D7000 please let me know and I'll do my best to give my opinion on it.  However, I just don't want to come off as saying these are not great - because they are - they just aren't my type of headphone, I guess.

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #656 of 6,388
Im torn 3 ways coming from the D2000. My options are He-400 w/velour + E17, Paradox + E17, and Mad dog + E17. I've been hearing that a lot of people are moving from the Denon sound signature to the He-400 without looking back. I just want to upgrade but I feel like with my limited budget it will just be a side-grade. I listen to EDM, Alternative, and movies. I really dont want to spend more money than I have to so Im thinking to just go for the mad dogs, yeah? Oh and if youre confused why I'm switching sound signatures its because I just want better sound quality, anything can be EQ'd for more or less bass and what not.

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #657 of 6,388
Quote:
Im torn 3 ways coming from the D2000. My options are He-400 w/velour + E17, Paradox + E17, and Mad dog + E17. I've been hearing that a lot of people are moving from the Denon sound signature to the He-400 without looking back. I just want to upgrade but I feel like with my limited budget it will just be a side-grade. I listen to EDM, Alternative, and movies. I really dont want to spend more money than I have to so Im thinking to just go for the mad dogs, yeah? Oh and if youre confused why I'm switching sound signatures its because I just want better sound quality, anything can be EQ'd for more or less bass and what not.

I went from the d2ks to HE500, and I can say that you will not be disappointed with the mad dogs. However I haven't heard the he400 nor the paradox, but they will all be a step up from the d2ks I assure you.

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #658 of 6,388
Quote:
If you have any specific questions about these compared to the Ultrasone Pro 900s, HE-400s, or D7000 please let me know and I'll do my best to give my opinion on it.

Dear tokendog,

can you make a brief comparison on HE-400 and Mad Dogs (in terms of SQ)?

Thanks

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #659 of 6,388
Quote:
I'll be sure to give impressions during the week as I'll be at work with nothing to do! ;p

Looking forward to it. In theory there would be less of an improvement than direct wiring to the driver, as there's just two very small and high resistance wires that go from the socket to the drivers. If you do hear something though, I just may need to experiment with some different cables.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #660 of 6,388
Quote:

All three headphones will be a true upgrade for you but which one to choose will depend on what sound signature you are looking. But since you currently using Xonar DG make sure you also get at least external amp. E17 is a step to right direction but if you can stretch your budget just for $30 more get Audioengine D1 instead since i doubt portability is important for you plus you will get some options E17 doesn't offer while Audioengine sounds a little bit but noticeably better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back