"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jul 31, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #542 of 6,388
Quote:

Hi... Glad you enjoy them!  

If the bottom isn't sealing you might have the phone too tight on your head.  The fit should be very relaxed so the pads have uniform pressure around your ears and the strap is gently resting on your head.  If the cups are raised too high on the head it lifts the pad from under the ear.  

I find the best seal by loosening until the pads feels like there's a little extra pressure below the ear, and then tighten it just a little until the pressure is uniform. 

If that doesn't do it PM me.    Your Head May Vary.  YHMV!  Has anyone used it before (must be getting late!)?

beerchug.gif

Thanks Dan, i'll try this when I get home and let you know! 

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #548 of 6,388
Quote:
I almost pulled the trigger on this combo this paycheck. I'm using the Lyr and the Audio-gd NFB-12

Curious, assuming your model has the filter jumpers, which filter do you use on the NFB-12?  I found the 4x apodising (sp?) worked best for me, as I have a lot of 24/96 source and a software upsampler, the 8x upsampling in the chip didn't meet my needs...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 1, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #549 of 6,388
Quote:
Can anyone talk about having seal successes/failures while wearing glasses?  I wear pretty average thickness plastic frames and wonder with all this seal talk if I'd have any problems.

The bit of time I tried mine, they were comfortable enough and did not had any problems... I'll give you an updated assessment tomorrow when I pick them up from the Post Office (I wear headphones all/most days at work so... I'll try them there...)

P.S. Just in case, These are the glasses I usually wear: http://www.eyewearexpress.com/pics/0VE3152_GB1.jpg

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #550 of 6,388
Quote:
whast the best amp  you guys are using with the MDs? i havent bought a new amp in a day and im having withdrawals. 

M-Stage here. No experience of higher end amps but I'm also more of an objectivist, so if I do upgrade at some point, it'll probably be to Violectric something or the other. That said, M-Stage drives the MD's fine at 0 gain (12 o'clock for me). Contemplating changing the gain to 10 dB because that seems more popular but unity gain works fine.

On a more or less unrelated note, this hobby and recently especially the MD's have changed my musical preferences enough for me to go through my library thinking "man, there's nothing that I can really appreciate these cans with." I guess that's the whole 'listening to your gear instead of the music' thing. That said, the violins of Stern and Zukerman sound heavenly.

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #551 of 6,388
Quote:

Curious, assuming your model has the filter jumpers, which filter do you use on the NFB-12?  I found the 4x apodising (sp?) worked best for me, as I have a lot of 24/96 source and a software upsampler, the 8x upsampling in the chip didn't meet my needs...

Just got it yesterday and brought it to work, didn't mess with the filters yet :frowning2:

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #553 of 6,388
What I'd be interested in reading are comparisons between LFF's Paradox and these Mad Dogs. Obviously the Mad Dogs are really good and I'm curious to see if one lends itself more toward certain listening preferences. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #554 of 6,388
Quote:
What I'd be interested in reading are comparisons between LFF's Paradox and these Mad Dogs. Obviously the Mad Dogs are really good and I'm curious to see if one lends itself more toward certain listening preferences. 

"Mr. Speakers sent one of his Mad Dog modified Fostex T50RP headphones in for a measure and a listen. While certainly better than most modded T50RPs, they sounded a tad dry relative to the lush smoothness of LFF's Paradox or the Smeggy Thunderpants." - Tyll

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AllGraphs.pdf

Looking at the graphs, the Paradox seems more linear. I doubt the difference between them is big enough to warrant using them for entirely different genres or such, though, as they are based on the same headphone. Paradox should also be a can (I know MD is, for me anyway) that can take any genre you throw at it. Do take into account the difference in price also. That and the fact that Dan is a phenomenal guy to deal with; I have and will not have any regrets buying the MD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back