"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jul 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #436 of 6,388
i think it may be because a lot of the EQers that ive seen in other threads seem to be heavy EQers.  for instance, in the cowon j3 thread, theyres people altering the sound almost to the max limit. thats when i think theres an issue. i myself dont really eq much over 2 notches.  subtle EQing and listening to it a while is better than altering it a lot because one, at that instance, might not hear too much of a difference.  or i could just be talking out of my bunghole.

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #437 of 6,388
Quote:
I don't quite get what people hate about it.. it's just a natural extension to the "hobby". And a much more sane one than cables or so, but let's not get into that..

Quite true.  I used to try and be a "purist".  However, in order to keep things that way, one has to spend endless amounts of money to try and achieve the purity through the purchase of more refined equipment.  Instead, in a lot of cases, it can be better to spend more moderate or realistic amounts of money and toss in a few cents for some EQ or DSP action and still end up with the same result. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #438 of 6,388
I rather avoid EQ at all times myself, as it does tend to muddy the sound up for a lot of genres, but for electronic, what would one be trying to gain fidelity wise?  A little loss in crispness and accuracy is well worth it for some extra DB in the bass region if the song highly calls for it.  Most importantly though, the headphone has to be able to EQ well in the bass region to begin with.  A closed headphone that doesn't naturally extend to 20hz always sounds bloated and just loud when EQ'd in the bass.  Something that's naturally extending and tight has less of that effect when EQ'd.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #439 of 6,388
Quote:

Quite true.  I used to try and be a "purist".  However, in order to keep things that way, one has to spend endless amounts of money to try and achieve the purity through the purchase of more refined equipment.  Instead, in a lot of cases, it can be better to spend more moderate or realistic amounts of money and toss in a few cents for some EQ or DSP action and still end up with the same result. 

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but that's sort of how I feel about tubes too. I think DSP is an adequate substitute for more expensive tube amplifiers. Especially because the pleasure from using tubes comes from the pleasant (even harmonic or whatever) distortion it provides over a more objectively superior solid state amplifier. But if I'm going for that extra sonic pleasure (which is now subjective), there's little reason DSP can't replicate the tube-like characteristics of a physical tube amp. 

I think the primary bias to overcome though is the idea that because a tube amplifier is a physical/tangible thing, it is more natural/genuine. Though I'd wager to guess that if someone did a blind study comparing various DSPs and tube amps to see which people preferred, you'd end up with some DSPs outperforming some expensive tube amps. That's why I like having an objectively great amp (like the O2), and then using DSP every now and then when I want that tubey sound. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #440 of 6,388
Quote:
I don't quite get what people hate about it.. it's just a natural extension to the "hobby". And a much more sane one than cables or so, but let's not get into that..

Even LCD-2/3 are lacking bass by default, I usually always have a 4dB boost in the <100hz section. But that's just me. Movies usually require +8dB @ 20hz gradually sloping down to 100hz, and oh boy it's a joy.

and you don't consider  yourself a bass head by any chance?

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #442 of 6,388
Quote:
and you don't consider  yourself a bass head by any chance?

That's a normal assumption. But I'd rather say XB500 or Beats user is the "basshead".

If you listen to electronica (especially something that is intended for large sound systems), then yes it's pretty strange if you'd want "anemic" headphones. Even if I listen to jazz, I want to feel drums brass etc like they should, but usually it's ok without EQ. :wink: Of course nothing should be ever boosted so details start vanishing.

To not go completely off topic, my current feeling about Mad Dogs bass is that it sounds quite dry? Or analytic? It's definitely there, but overall "body" or "heft" like in LCD's is missing. I guess it's not all directly related to just bass and LCD's are special, but anyway.. just random ramblings. Really need more Mad Dog lovin' on my head to figure out if I have use for them. LCD-3's are just so awesome that it's hard. :)

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #443 of 6,388
Quote:
i think it may be because a lot of the EQers that ive seen in other threads seem to be heavy EQers.  for instance, in the cowon j3 thread, theyres people altering the sound almost to the max limit. thats when i think theres an issue. i myself dont really eq much over 2 notches.  subtle EQing and listening to it a while is better than altering it a lot because one, at that instance, might not hear too much of a difference.  or i could just be talking out of my bunghole.

I tend to prefer headphones that don't need EQ over those that do, particularly with my HM-801 which provides 5 bands, all in the wrong places. The Cowon players on the other hand just seem to need it, they sound very flat and boring with everything shut off.

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #444 of 6,388
Quote:
I tend to prefer headphones that don't need EQ over those that do, particularly with my HM-801 which provides 5 bands, all in the wrong places. The Cowon players on the other hand just seem to need it, they sound very flat and boring with everything shut off.

yes ideally thats great not having to EQ, but the 801 is also 3x the price, the UI is horrendous, size is bigger than the cowon, and battery life is probably a fraction of what i get. so i dont mind eq'ing to gain those benefits.  the search for the perfect headphone, for most, long journey and is usually painful on the wallet also. may i ask what headphone(s) you have settled on?

right now i have the t1 and MDs and love them both, but i wont say that either cannot sound better. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #445 of 6,388
Well here's my setup finally. Only thing I'm missing is fixed Mad Dogs (has the bass issue), and the Vmoda cable. Thoughts on the form factor of the epiphany-acoustics O2 & Odac - Good build quality, similar complaint as others about them sliding around as no rubber feed so I need to get some. The power cable plug in being on the front is also a bit of an issue. cable management, as seen in the picture, is non-existent :p.

I got about 4 hours of listening in on this rig before my iPad started pausing and skipping and then just rebooted. Now with the MIC all-in-one card plugged in, it disables the volume slider and I get no sound. Pretty disappointing. Is nothing ever easy? Meh... now to figure THAT out. Anyway..

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #446 of 6,388
Quote:
Well here's my setup finally. Only thing I'm missing is fixed Mad Dogs (has the bass issue), and the Vmoda cable. Thoughts on the form factor of the epiphany-acoustics O2 & Odac - Good build quality, similar complaint as others about them sliding around as no rubber feed so I need to get some. The power cable plug in being on the front is also a bit of an issue. cable management, as seen in the picture, is non-existent :p.

I got about 4 hours of listening in on this rig before my iPad started pausing and skipping and then just rebooted. Now with the MIC all-in-one card plugged in, it disables the volume slider and I get no sound. Pretty disappointing. Is nothing ever easy? Meh... now to figure THAT out. Anyway..

how does it sound it might have this setup aswell in a while except from a laptop

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #449 of 6,388
I was actually thinking about getting the 500's, how do you like them?

I think they're amazeballs - but it's my first experience with planars and my previous hi-fi cans were HD650.

Just ordered an O2 hoping it'll drive them better than my E9.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #450 of 6,388
Quote:
I think they're amazeballs - but it's my first experience with planars and my previous hi-fi cans were HD650.
Just ordered an O2 hoping it'll drive them better than my E9.

Good stuff, I had the LCD-2 rev.2 but I had to sell them to help pay for moving costs. So I got the Mad Dogs and they are super kick ass but I do miss my LCD-2's but at the same time I wanna try another can 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back