"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 19, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #5,296 of 6,388
Quote:
Quote:

I completely understand; to each their own. I knew that when I wrote that review. I guess it just depends on what each person hears with their own ears though. 
beerchug.gif

Thanks! It was great to be able to hear the LCD2s, but to be honest, at the end of last night when I needed to struggle through the last part of my class notes, I reached for the MDs instead of the LCD2s, purely based on me feeling the MD is more comfortable. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, that's quite amazing! Is the reason you sold your LCD3s because the MD is closed back but the LCDXs are open?

It was a limited run of 10. B1o may be doing more of them in the future though depending on a few things.

Well, I sold my LCD-3 mostly because the HD800 and HE-6 are more suited to my particular tastes.  But comfort and isolation play no small part in why the Mad Dogs are indispensable in my collection.  

Ah. I think my next purchase will be some sort of hifiman planar. While the dark sound sig is nice for certain genres, it isn't always the best for everything IMO.
Interesting that you own a $300 headphone along with two $1k plus cans though :)

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #5,297 of 6,388
Mind elaborating on the project H amp? Limited run of 10? Piqued my interest. 
biggrin.gif
 And thank you for the write-up! One of my friends back home has an LCD-2 on the same gear that I have, so hearing these conflicting opinions makes me excited to make an opinion of my own.

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #5,298 of 6,388
What amp/dac in the $200 range would work pretty well with the Mad Dogs? I can't find any Schiit here in Vietnam, so any other recommendations would be recommended.

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #5,299 of 6,388
biggrin.gif

And thank you for the write-up! One of my friends back home has an LCD-2 on the same gear that I have, so hearing these conflicting opinions makes me excited to make an opinion of my own.

First page of the anime thread explains it all. The next one, Project T is already underway.

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #5,300 of 6,388
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Project H is a C4398 DAC and an Objective 2 amp build into one unit along with a control board that pretty much eliminates power on and off power spikes, and allows the DAC to go to an RCA out instead of to the O2, and for the O2 to fed any DAC through RCA inputs.

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #5,301 of 6,388
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I wish this were not the case since the E09K is pretty cheap and docks with the E17. Can you think of an amp/dac that would do justice to the MDs?

Funny you should ask ... well before that I'll say I don't know a portable one but I'll be looking for one @ the Head-fi meet.  What's funny that you should ask is I just setup the rig I'm gong to bring to the NYC Head-fi meet on Saturday; as far as amplification goes it consist of two E17s, one E09K, one Little Dot II+ and one Little Dot III+.   I just blew the dust off my Little Dot III+ that I hadn't used since perhaps 2008.  O-M-G, whoa, talk about power to spare.  The amp is rated at 1000mW @ 120 ohms and 3.5W @ 8 ohms [that's right, it has speaker terminals].  So doing the math the amp it is probably delivering somewhere nearing 2 watts per channel into the 50 ohms of the MadDogs.  

I happen to be using the E09K to drive it, using the Line Out, with the E17 sitting ontop decoding a Toslink S/PDIF input from my brand new [delivered just yesterday] Little Dot CDP_II transport.  

It's been addictive all night and I haven't been able to unplug the MadDogs from the Little Dot III+ amp for long, sometimes going to the LD II+ but soon going back to the LD III+ [I feel like Jeremey Clarkson of TopGear fame ... wanting to yell "P-O-W-E-R" in a british accent].  But I plugged back into the E09K a little while ago to make sure I wasn't lying to you.  And with the E17's treble and bass both on +4, I found what I was listening to to sound acceptable and quite articulate and clean all the way up to max volume [E17 on 0-gain]; but it did have substantially less "meat on the bone" than either my Little Dot III+ and the Little Dot II+ sitting next to it and not much of a step-up from the E17 alone.  And when listening thru either of my LD amps the treble and bass are both set to 0. 

Now, I don't know if David is making the Little Dot III+ anymore [tho, he never released the CDP_II either, but he did sell me a NOS device he had onhand so who knows.]  I'm sure you can get many suggestions for hi powered amps in this thread.  But will they be Class A amps and switchable between Triode or Pentode and capable of delivering 3.5w to speakers and around 2watts to the MadDogs for $350?  Probably not.  :wink:

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #5,303 of 6,388

Quote:
Wow, interesting!  Love to hear it some day.  Babylon meet on Saturday?  

Indeed, that one.  You should be able to hear it soon.  See you there. :wink:

(btw, I'm the guy who bought the MadDogs from you last weekend @ the NYC Audio Meet; the 1st one who paid by credit card ... I'll just be much cleaner shaven Saturday -hehe)

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #5,307 of 6,388
Can anybody else recommend a cheap ($200 max) amp for these? I know diddly about amps, so I need to ask. I have an E17 which is good for its DAC, but the amp section is lacking.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #5,309 of 6,388
Quote:
Quote:
Can anybody else recommend a cheap ($200 max) amp for these? I know diddly about amps, so I need to ask. I have an E17 which is good for its DAC, but the amp section is lacking.

Schiit Magni, O2, or used Asgard.

B-stock Asgard from Schiit. $200 and comes with a 5 year warranty.

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #5,310 of 6,388
Quote:

Aune T1.

You can get that in Vietnam for approx. $180 last I checked, and it's a really good package (superb DAC + amplifier that can push 1W into 32 Ohm). Definitely more than enough power to get the Mad Dogs (and even some other headphones that are harder to drive).

Though to be honest, I'm still seeing about getting one of those (the Aune T1) for myself... as I anticipate that there will be a Mad Dogs (or equivalence) in my near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back