"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #5,281 of 6,388
For any of you in the NYC area with Dog Pads or 840 pads, I will bring some pads and upgrade parts with me and upgrade at the meet in Babylon on Saturday, if you want to "go Alpha."  I'll only charge for the pads, any tuning is gratis.

For owners of Alpha Pad upgraded Dog Pads or Alpha Pads bring your phones by for a sound check and tune up should you wish.  It'll be free.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #5,282 of 6,388
Quote:
I just received mine today and took them out for a brief test drive with a J3 and E17. They sound very nice, but the E17 doesn't pack enough juice. I could get decent volume, but I can tell they need a bit more muscle behind them (E09K + E17?). What they say about the Alpha Pads is true: it's like having a buttery-soft leather sofa strapped to your head - they are extremely comfortable.

RE: "E09K + E17" :: Let me save you the trouble.  I'd recommend "no".  And this coming from a guy who usually likes [and defends] everything he commits to own...

IMO the MD thru the E09K sounds dry & somewhat lifeless, with a good deal of bass roll-off at least on Hi-Gain; all is a bit better with the E09K on low-gain but then you're not getting much more gain than the E17 alone and I'd still categorize it as mid-fi sound verging on low-fi.  Some headphones suites a high output impedance amp, others don't.  And from this little experiment I'm feeling the MD falls into the camp of the latter.  But all this doesn't stand only for the MD.  I think my E09K is going to be relegated as a convenient charging station for the E17, or a Notebook -> DAC -> Line-out device.  I'm not too thrilled with it in general as a head-amp using the 1/4" output plug as you can tell.  While the E17 throws "you get what you pay for" on its head being perhaps the best value for the performance you get out there , the E09K pretty much fits the saying perfectly..

Apr 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #5,283 of 6,388
Increasing the clamping force by slightly bending the headband seems to be improving things for me 
redface.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #5,284 of 6,388
Quote:
I'm running my MD's off an O2/Odac, I was wondering did anyone find the MD's not as dark as they were expecting? I have some CAL!'s and my friend has some LCD-2's that I am going to A/B with today but my first impressions are that maybe for my tastes the mids/upper mids might be a little to front and center for my tastes? like many say I do notice that the LCD-2's have more weight to the sound and better separation but I am IN NO WAY saying the MD's are "bad" the LCD's do cost 700 dollars more...

It sounds REALLY good for a lot of my acoustic stuff and some of metal tracks that are lighter on drums, but for my electronic stuff and harder hitting metal tracks with a lot of drums the lower frequency's leave me a little wanting because the upper mid's seem to be jumping out at me more than I expected they would and to me at least they don't sound as warm as I was expecting.

This is all subject to change though because I am playing around with seal/clamping force, this may be why they sound kind of weightless to me, if you have previous experience with closed headphones and play around with them until you get that perfect seal I think you will know what I mean, I do have to say these are the most sensitive headphones to seal I have had.

I definitely think that the Mad Dogs are closer to neutral than being dark. I will say that coming from a pair of Brainwavz B2's and Grado SR-60i's, the Mad Dogs are definitely relatively dark. 

I certainly agree with you that sometimes double-bass is certainly not as rumbly as I like it. Not thin and clicky... they're neutral, but not as authoritative as other sets I've tried. As a drummer especially, the fact that guitars are more forward in the mix than drums makes me wanting a little more percussive presence.

I feel that EQing the extreme ends of the spectrum helps bring drums out more with the aforementioned bass drum and a little more cymbal sparkle.

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #5,285 of 6,388
Quote:
I definitely think that the Mad Dogs are closer to neutral than being dark. I will say that coming from a pair of Brainwavz B2's and Grado SR-60i's, the Mad Dogs are definitely relatively dark. 

I certainly agree with you that sometimes double-bass is certainly not as rumbly as I like it. Not thin and clicky... they're neutral, but not as authoritative as other sets I've tried. As a drummer especially, the fact that guitars are more forward in the mix than drums makes me wanting a little more percussive presence.

I feel that EQing the extreme ends of the spectrum helps bring drums out more with the aforementioned bass drum and a little more cymbal sparkle.

More cymbal sparkle? My cymbals already sound a little too Hissy for my preference but the low end is getting better to me for sure, after making a few changes Dan recommended things are getting better and my ears are adjusting but overall right now it still sounds a bit off for my prefrences

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #5,286 of 6,388
I just did a writeup comparing the demo LCD2 I got from headamp and the Mad Dogs over here ----> http://www.head-fi.org/t/645941/headamp-headphone-demos-audeze-hifiman-stax-sign-up-now/495#post_9366475

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #5,287 of 6,388
Quote:
I just did a writeup comparing the demo LCD2 I got from headamp and the Mad Dogs over here ----> http://www.head-fi.org/t/645941/headamp-headphone-demos-audeze-hifiman-stax-sign-up-now/495#post_9366475

I have to respectfully disagree with your comparison. I think the only real thing the MD's share in common with the LCD's is their voicing. Apart from that I think the LCD's are on another level completely with their tonality & extension on either side of the spectrum.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #5,288 of 6,388
Quote:

RE: "E09K + E17" :: Let me save you the trouble.  I'd recommend "no".  And this coming from a guy who usually likes [and defends] everything he commits to own...

IMO the MD thru the E09K sounds dry & somewhat lifeless, with a good deal of bass roll-off at least on Hi-Gain; all is a bit better with the E09K on low-gain but then you're not getting much more gain than the E17 alone and I'd still categorize it as mid-fi sound verging on low-fi.  Some headphones suites a high output impedance amp, others don't.  And from this little experiment I'm feeling the MD falls into the camp of the latter.  But all this doesn't stand only for the MD.  I think my E09K is going to be relegated as a convenient charging station for the E17, or a Notebook -> DAC -> Line-out device.  I'm not too thrilled with it in general as a head-amp using the 1/4" output plug as you can tell.  While the E17 throws "you get what you pay for" on its head being perhaps the best value for the performance you get out there , the E09K pretty much fits the saying perfectly..

Thanks for the advice. I wish this were not the case since the E09K is pretty cheap and docks with the E17. Can you think of an amp/dac that would do justice to the MDs?

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #5,289 of 6,388
I have to respectfully disagree with your comparison. I think the only real thing the MD's share in common with the LCD's is their voicing. Apart from that I think the LCD's are on another level completely with their tonality & extension on either side of the spectrum.

x2

I really like the MD, but LCD2s they are not.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #5,290 of 6,388
Quote:

Nice impressions, mech! Agreed very much so with your findings.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #5,291 of 6,388
Quote:

Same here.  Thanks for posting.  I think para and I seem to be on the more extreme end regarding the MD vs LCD-2 impressions.  For a minute there we owned most of the same headphones.  I may have gone even a little more extreme in that I just sold my LCD-3 but still have two pairs of Mad Dogs.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #5,292 of 6,388
Quote:

Same here.  Thanks for posting.  I think para and I seem to be on the more extreme end regarding the MD vs LCD-2 impressions.  For a minute there we owned most of the same headphones.  I may have gone even a little more extreme in that I just sold my LCD-3 but still have two pairs of Mad Dogs.

We're just the few that don't have wax in our ears. 
tongue.gif

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #5,294 of 6,388
Quote:
Quote:

I completely understand; to each their own. I knew that when I wrote that review. I guess it just depends on what each person hears with their own ears though. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks! It was great to be able to hear the LCD2s, but to be honest, at the end of last night when I needed to struggle through the last part of my class notes, I reached for the MDs instead of the LCD2s, purely based on me feeling the MD is more comfortable. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Wow, that's quite amazing! Is the reason you sold your LCD3s because the MD is closed back but the LCDXs are open?
Quote:
Quote:

So, is Project H still an exclusive amp, or are orders being taken now?

It was a limited run of 10. B1o may be doing more of them in the future though depending on a few things.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #5,295 of 6,388
Quote:

I completely understand; to each their own. I knew that when I wrote that review. I guess it just depends on what each person hears with their own ears though. 
beerchug.gif

Thanks! It was great to be able to hear the LCD2s, but to be honest, at the end of last night when I needed to struggle through the last part of my class notes, I reached for the MDs instead of the LCD2s, purely based on me feeling the MD is more comfortable. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, that's quite amazing! Is the reason you sold your LCD3s because the MD is closed back but the LCDXs are open?

It was a limited run of 10. B1o may be doing more of them in the future though depending on a few things.

Well, I sold my LCD-3 mostly because the HD800 and HE-6 are more suited to my particular tastes.  But comfort and isolation play no small part in why the Mad Dogs are indispensable in my collection.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back