"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #5,238 of 6,388
I am in a dilema here, I sold out my HE-400 and I am thinking of buying another Mad Dog for home use or buy a LCD2.2 for home usage. Isolation, amping requirement is advantage of mad dog, but seems like LCD2.2 is a big plus. I already love the sound of Mad Dog with Alpha pad so I dont know it upgrading will make me love orthos sound even more.

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #5,239 of 6,388
The sound quality between the LCD2 and Mad Dog is no contest. The LCD2 is better in every way. It's up to you to figure out if that difference is worth $700. Judging purely from a price/performance ratio, it's not a 3x the sound quality jump. But the LCD2 is noticeably better.

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #5,240 of 6,388
Quote:
The sound quality between the LCD2 and Mad Dog is no contest. The LCD2 is better in every way. It's up to you to figure out if that difference is worth $700. Judging purely from a price/performance ratio, it's not a 3x the sound quality jump. But the LCD2 is noticeably better.

Not in every way.  In isolation, the Mad Dog is superior.  That may be enough for some people.  If my environment is not quiet enough to allow for me to listen at a comfortable volume level where these differences could be heard, it doesn't matter too much.  

The LCD-2 may sound spectacular, but not if all my music comes with a faint sound of my refrigerator's compressor droning along with it. 
blink.gif

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #5,241 of 6,388
Not in every way.  In isolation, the Mad Dog is superior.  That may be enough for some people.  If my environment is not quiet enough to allow for me to listen at a comfortable volume level where these differences could be heard, it doesn't matter too much.  

The LCD-2 may sound spectacular, but not if all my music comes with a faint sound of my refrigerator's compressor droning along with it. 
blink.gif

Virtually any closed back headphone would seal better than the open back lcd2.

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #5,243 of 6,388
Quote:

blink.gif

He had other open back headphones in his sig (HD650) so I wasn't concerned with that. But yes, if isolation is a must at home, then MD for sure.

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #5,244 of 6,388
Quote:
the only problem i have with these cans.. is that everyone wants to keep theirs.. havent seen a fs in like 2 weeks T_T 

I got you.

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #5,246 of 6,388
Pretty sure people will start unloading theirs due to wanting the Balanced version.

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #5,248 of 6,388
Also, I will have a balanced upgrade for current owners.  It won't be available for pre-order or discount, but it should be pretty cost-effective.

Final price is TBD until I know my exact cable costs.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 15, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #5,249 of 6,388
Quote:
I always thought that the balance group was pretty small in comparison to the SE crowd. 
size]

My thoughts exactly.

However curiosity is piqued now to see what a balanced set sound like. Is there that much difference?

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #5,250 of 6,388
Hmmm, going balanced would force me to buy a speaker amp for my future he-4
/6 ;D oh how this horrible mentality runs my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back