"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jun 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #241 of 6,388
Quote:
-Soundstage isn't very large with the Mad Dog. It lacks depth and the width is about average - I knew this coming into another planar phone though. It has was I call "a wall of sound" much like the LCD-2.

-The image is very nice and integrated.

-The frequency response - as shown on the MrSpeakers website - is excellently flat.  It is a very laid back phone that works well as an "All-Arounder".

At the asking price.. it is perfect!   Comfortable and a nice balanced sound that works well for extended listening sessions.

thank you, that was very informative, i think i even understand what you refer to "a wall of sound". i pmed mrspeakers himself before about the sound signature of the mad dog, i forgot to ask about the soundstage though, thats why im asking it here.

Jun 30, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #242 of 6,388
Quote:

Wayne,

Yes I'm in Cin. this weekend.  However, I'm going to try to make this meet: http://www.head-fi.org/t/608355/va-md-dc-meet-on-saturday-july-28-2012/15#post_8490740

Also I just picked these up as well:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/572793/thunderpants-t50rp-mod-group-buy/705#post_8292300

Also Keith is working on a pair for me to 
L3000.gif

darthsmile.gif
  I plan to have my own little Fostex showdown.

Make sure you try to make the meet.

Quote:

Thanks.  I just went over to that thread and responded with my commitment to attend.  If not for you giving me the "heads up" on the event, I would have missed it.  Thanks.

This should produce some good as well as interesting impressions, sounds like fun.

I'll chime in one last time as you guys took my cable comment to the extreme.

The reason I recommend the V-moda cable and the reason it makes a HUGE difference isn't because the cable is magical or will change the sound from cold to warm, etc. NOPE. The reason it makes a HUGE difference is because the connector of the V-Moda cable perfectly fits the the connector of the T50RP and eliminates all static and channel drop outs. The stock cable is crap in that sense. Will it produces some magical measurable difference? I doubt it but it will eliminate all the problems caused by the stock crap cable. That in itself is a HUGE difference.

Yep...and they are very inexpensive too.

Jul 1, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #243 of 6,388
Tyll had a very handy tip for how he assesses soundstage: he closes his eyes and puts his hands to the side of his head as if grabbing the widest bits of the soundstage.  As I believe he said, it's not quite scientific.  Regardless, I have found it very helpful in a qualitative way, and it's oddly fun.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 1, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #244 of 6,388
Quote:
Tyll had a very handy tip for how he assesses soundstage: he closes his eyes and puts his hands to the side of his head as if grabbing the widest bits of the soundstage.  As I believe he said, it's not quite scientific.  Regardless, I have found it very helpful in a qualitative way, and it's oddly fun.

hey i have tried that before myself lol, i never expected anyone would do the same lol
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #246 of 6,388
just got around to listening to my modded T50RPs.....lmao can't believe I was listening to that xD granted it was my first mod but my gawd

Also just ordered that vmoda cable, I have no problem with the stock cable Dan included but why not for 12 bucks

Jul 1, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #247 of 6,388
Quote:
There are multiple ways to solve the dropout problem and the v-moda is a good one.  Another solution is simply to use Deoxit, which I apply to every set.  So far I have had no issues (including on phones I've used a long time), which keeps the cost down.  

Does that still happen to newer T50RP? I've had 2 before I sold them (although a very small sample size compared to how many T50RP you have come in contact with) and found none of the drop out issues many people were experiencing. Of course I may have just been lucky with the two I bought.

Jul 1, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #248 of 6,388
what is the dropout issue anyway? im waiting on my v moda cable to come in then ill start listening to my stock t50rp and see what the stock t50rp sounds like first before i have it modded

Jul 1, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #249 of 6,388
Quote:
what is the dropout issue anyway? im waiting on my v moda cable to come in then ill start listening to my stock t50rp and see what the stock t50rp sounds like first before i have it modded

It means that you could partially lose sound in one or both of your channels - or, the sound could fade in an out.  However, spraying the connector - on the headphone earcup female plug with some Deoxit, would cure the issue for you and you'd never experience the fade-out.

Head to Radio Shack or the Guitar Center to buy some.  Or, Parts-Express, if you only have access to on-lines stores.

Edit: I should also indicate that your question, since it is related to the generic T50RP and not the Mad Dogs from Dan, might be better if you place such content in the other thread where we cover lots of T50RP options. 
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #250 of 6,388
Quote:

It means that you could partially lose sound in one or both of your channels - or, the sound could fade in an out.  However, spraying the connector - on the headphone earcup female plug with some Deoxit, would cure the issue for you and you'd never experience the fade-out.

Head to Radio Shack or the Guitar Center to buy some.  Or, Parts-Express, if you only have access to on-lines stores.

Edit: I should also indicate that your question, since it is related to the generic T50RP and not the Mad Dogs from Dan, might be better if you place such content in the other thread where we cover lots of T50RP options. 
wink.gif

oh i see, thanks for explaining. also since i plan to upgrade to a mad dog sooner or later, i think i should follow this thread. on the generic t50rp thread, its too long to follow it, its over 100 pages, i believe

Jul 2, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #251 of 6,388
Quote:
oh i see, thanks for explaining. also since i plan to upgrade to a mad dog sooner or later, i think i should follow this thread. on the generic t50rp thread, its too long to follow it, its over 100 pages, i believe

Just because the T50RP thread is over 100 pages long, is really not a reason to avoid it.  The thread was started about 3 years ago when the T50RP headphone was discovered for the wonderful potential to apply modifications to it, which would greatly enhance the sound.  Contributions of trial and error by many individuals using many different materials all reside in that thread.  However, as each day goes by, new and relevant information related to the process of making the headphones better does appear.

If my Mad Dogs arrive today, I'll be sure to get some impressions posted both in this thread, as well as the T50RP thread as I think it is quite relevant for those are considering one headphone vs. another.  But, within those 100 pages, as well as the "Wiki" link at the top of the forum, you'll see many contributions by Dan (MrSpeakers) - builder of the Mad Dogs as he contributed to the "Rastapants" variation of the T50RP modification process.

Jul 2, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #254 of 6,388
According to Tyll:

Quote:
"Mr. Speakers sent one of his Mad Dog modified Fostex T50RP headphones in for a measure and a listen. While certainly better than most modded T50RPs, they sounded a tad dry relative to the lush smoothness of LFF's Paradox or the Smeggy Thunderpants."

Can someone explain those 'terms'!? LOL
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #255 of 6,388
Quote:
Can someone explain those 'terms'!? LOL
wink.gif

Hmm...I'd really have to hear the Mad Dog myself to compare, as I have my own Paradox headphone. I wouldn't call the Paradox lush. They're pretty neutral with a very slight tilt to the dark side (at least to my ears). But they are definitely smooth to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back