MacDEF's long-awaited Labtec Elite-840 review
Oct 24, 2001 at 3:56 PM Post #16 of 138
That's not my point, tvhead. It's been reported on this thread that large numbers of people are flocking to these headphones. Given the current review in question, people are wondering why so many are singing the praises of this headphone. It's similar to asking why Sony Streetstyles, considered by this community to be rubbish, are so popular. The only difference seems to be how many people are posting favorable reviews here. Look at audioreview.com and search for reviews about the Sony DJ line. Same phenomenon. Hundreds of people rave about these Sony headphones which have been panned here. Some of them consider themselves audiophiles. I'm not arguing with their taste, just pointing out some reasons why they (and I) might be so positive about certain headphones.

Asking why the Labtecs are so popular elsewhere is basically asking the same question of why Sony Streetstyle or their DJ line is so popular here. Headphone popularity is not proportional to performance. I'm not equating the two brands, just the phenomena.

Oct 24, 2001 at 3:56 PM Post #17 of 138
Mass,

True! But these people who post on headphone dedicated forums are not normal joes who go out buy v600 and think they are the best things since canned spam. The impression I got from the earlier posts was these guys are comparing it to high end phones that we know and love on this websitte. These guys, I thought, cared about it as much as we do.

You know I'm just sitting here wishing and hoping these headphones are awesome so I can buy another pair of cheap headphones for throwing around!

Oct 24, 2001 at 4:00 PM Post #18 of 138
One thing I want to say right up front here is that everything above should be taken with a grain of salt since I did all my review testing after only 14 hours of break-in (well, closer to 20 by the time I was done, but still). I know for a fact that some headphones sound significantly different after a week or so (even a few weeks).

I have had the Labtecs plugged into the second jack on my Max non-stop with the CDP on repeat, so they'll be "breaking in" consistently over the next week or so. I will definitely be revisiting them to make sure that my initial comments were accurate. If it turns out that after break-in they are much better, I will edit my review accordingly.

JoeBloggs wrote:
Quote:

Hey, is there a way you can really check if these are closed headphones?

I actually considered taking them apart, but wasn't prepared to possibly break them yet
wink.gif
I think that dkswong is correct -- a lot of sound escapes through whatever that black material is behind the grill, so after further testing I think they should definitely be classified as "open."

Quote:

I have a pair of KSC35 which cost AU$80 (US$40). This may be "cheap" to headwizers/fiers but it's by no means "cheap" to the ordinary person who's used to <US$10 phones...

Yet I would definitely recommend them as the minimum entry level into the world of "real music with headphones"

Can you say that about the Labtec Elite 840's?

I completely agree with you about the KSC-35 -- I think they are fabulous headphones for the price. At this point, if I had to recommend inexpensive headphones, I would stick with my previous recommendations of the Koss Porta/KSC line, the Sennheiser MX-500, and the Koss UR20/30. White the Labtecs are definitely better than most of the headphones that come stock with portable equipment, and are better than most headphones for $20, they still aren't as good as those above (I wasn't able to compare them to the UR series, but given their reputation I feel I can recommend them in good conscience).

dkswong wrote:
Quote:

Juts give them some more time. I don't see any prominent problem with the treble and bass now. They have stretched considerably after my using them for more than a few weeks.

I am very willing to do that; as I mentioned above, many headphones do break-in, in my experience.

Quote:

I don't mean to start a fight here, but I think my system while not perfect, should not have any major flaw or weakness in the chain. I am using Marantz CD player connected the the X-DAC, and the X-DAC connected the the X-cans.

I don't think that's "fighting" material
wink.gif
However, I would disagree with you in that while the X-CAN is a very good amp that give the HD580 some great midrange, its weaknesses in driving the HD580 (relative to better amps) are in the bass and in detail. Given this, I think it could be logically argued that when comparing the 580 and 840 using the X-CAN, you wouldn't hear as much difference in the bass and details as someone using a Max.

Oct 24, 2001 at 4:03 PM Post #19 of 138
massappeal85,
I NEVER said ALL of us are seasoned audiophiles. How come my words are always mistaken here? It's really pissing me off. C'mon, folks, my English is not THAT bad! Would you guys please read the others' messages carefully before you reply?
And how can you be so sure we are mostly ignorant people who only pretend to know hi-fi? I find it very funny.

Oct 24, 2001 at 4:09 PM Post #20 of 138
P.S. In response to "why are these things so highly praised in some places?" I can think of two reasons:

1) They weren't fully broken in at the time of my review (but hey, you all were screaming for it!
wink.gif
)

2) A combination of source and Huy's theory about availability of "good" headphones. Imagine if the Koss line were not available in the U.S. The sub-$50 headphone class would be a total wasteland (apart from the Sennheiser MX-400/500, but many people don't want earbuds). I've been told that it's difficult to find the Koss in Hong Kong and Taiwan. If that's true, there aren't a lot of good, inexpensive headphones, and I could see someone really liking the Labtecs, since they are better than most other $20 headphones out there.

Likewise, I can't comment on the sources being used by people, but as I mentioned above, some combinations of components/amps/etc. will not reveal differences as well as others.

Finally, there is always simply the snowball effect -- if people are looking for a good pair of headphones, can't find many, then suddenly find a pair for US$20-$30 that is built well, looks good, and sounds decent, it's very easy for substantial excitement to build. I would like to see what would happen on the boards where the 840 are touted if everyone was given a pair of KSC-35
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2001 at 4:14 PM Post #22 of 138
Huy_ha,

I wasn't wondering why so many people are buying the phones. I was wondering why so many audiophiles like them? Whether they really are "audiophiles" still needs to be determined. Apparently they don't live up to our "audiophile" standards.

I guess we're just lucky we have koss.

Why do the UR30s have to be so huge?

Macdef, are the 840s the same size as the ur30s? If they are, I may just the get the ur30s instead.

Oct 24, 2001 at 4:20 PM Post #23 of 138
TVhead,
We like them, yet it doesn't mean they can take the place of HD-580 and HD-600 in our hearts. We like them because they sound so fine at a ridiculously low price. We like them because they are so neutral, something rarely seen in headphones of this price range. We like them because they do give a lot of details for their price. And most of all, we like them because we find their sound ENJOYABLE and MUSICAL, no matter what kind of audiophile standard you are trying to judge them with.

Oct 24, 2001 at 4:38 PM Post #25 of 138
The MX-500s are very popular here, and I have heard them myself. And most of us love them dearly too. They are great sounding earbuds, but still many of us prefer the Elite 840 to the MX500 when it comes to overall performance.
The Koss that you guys have mentioned are very difficult to find here. I got a netfriend who has the KSC-35 and apparently he likes them a lot, he has also recently bought the Elite 840 and he enjoys them a lot, too. He told me he liked them both. He preferred the bass of the Koss, and he found the vocals of the Elite 840s more attractive.
Since I haven't personally listened to the KSC-35 myself, I am not in a position to say anything about them(unlike what some of you guys like to do, no offence :> ) . I will try and ask my netfriend to write a review of a comparison between the two.
I will get some Koss myself. I always know they are great. I once listened to a pair of closed Koss's. I didn't know the model, but I found them very good.

Oct 24, 2001 at 4:48 PM Post #26 of 138
Quote:

Originally posted by huy_ha
I'm not equating the two brands, just the phenomena.

To quote myself.

Oct 24, 2001 at 4:50 PM Post #27 of 138
I have most of my review of the Elite-840s written, but will probably wait a week or so just to be sure. So far my conclusion is similar to MacDEF's -- these are definitely not giant killers -- but I will give them some more time. I do like them, but can't see why they would get rave reviews by audiophiles. I'm comparing them to HD570, HD545, Grado SR-125, Koss KSC-50, and a trio of under $40 sony headphones.

Oct 24, 2001 at 4:59 PM Post #29 of 138
dkswong, I apoligise for misreading you. I'm not trying t be the right kid here, or meaning to insult you or other people, however, would it not contradict your argument of there being no way these many people can be incorrect of their opinions, if you admit that a portion of these people who purchase these things have little to no knowledge of what it is that makes up good sound in a headphone?

Everyone, is it possible that these "pro" reviews could be the equivalent of such sites as multimedian or other "pro" review sites that we here also have qualms with? It would seem to me more fair if we compared these forums that praise the Labtecs to such places as audioreview.com rather then us, as to somebody speaking a different language it would seem they [edit: as in audioreview] are the pinnacle of auidio knowledge because of its populace.

[edit: My point, in short, being that we have here in audio pleny of places and people who claim to be audiphile, but really aren't. I think it would be rediculous to assume it is not the same in other parts of the world, and because of that, I don't see any reason why the situation with these lab tecs is not fully comparable to the situation with street styles, v600s, or 700djs.]

Oct 24, 2001 at 5:00 PM Post #30 of 138
Quote:

Macdef, are the 840s the same size as the ur30s? If they are, I may just the get the ur30s instead.

The UR30 are significantly larger than the 840 (the earpieces are much bigger); however, the UR30 do "fold up" so for portable use they may be easier to transport. The UR30 are also sealed. However, I have never actually compared the two, so I can't say which is better.

Quote:

I got a netfriend who has the KSC-35 and apparently he likes them a lot, he has also recently bought the Elite 840 and he enjoys them a lot, too. He told me he liked them both. He preferred the bass of the Koss, and he found the vocals of the Elite 840s more attractive.

That makes sense to me. To my ears, the Koss have better bass, while the emphasized midrange of the 840 do vocals fairly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back