Macbook Pro Audio
Jul 6, 2012 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

cone

New Head-Fier
In my pc I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX, and I recently bought a macbook pro to use for video editing and stuff, but the audio sounds terrible. 

Is there any way to get audio output with the quality of the Xonar Essence STX on my macbook pro?

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
In my pc I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX, and I recently bought a Macbook pro to use for video editing and stuff, but the audio sounds terrible. 

Is there any way to get audio output with the quality of the Xonar Essence STX on my macbook pro?

What headphones or speakers do you use?

What digital outputs does the Macbook Pro have? USB? Optical? Coaxial?

SMSL SD793 DAC (Digital to Analog Converter), $65

Fiio E9 headphone amplifier, $115
O2 (Objective 2) headphone amplifier, $155

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
In my pc I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX, and I recently bought a macbook pro to use for video editing and stuff, but the audio sounds terrible. 

Download Audirvana (free) & choose integer mode.
Use the optical out to a decent dac, or usb out if the dac has good usb implementation.

If you use straight headphone out, the software will still improve quality.

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 13
An excellent performing, high value all in one solution is the HRT Headstreamer.

Jul 7, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the responses. The headphones I'm using are HD 598's. 

Is the Xonar Essence STX essentially just an amp/dac? So if I were to buy an amp/dac to hook up to my MBP, I could get the same quality sound?

Jul 7, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
Thanks for the responses. The headphones I'm using are HD 598's. 

Is the Xonar Essence STX essentially just an amp/dac? So if I were to buy an amp/dac to hook up to my MBP, I could get the same quality sound?

Your not going to get the surround sound features of the Essence STX.
But the SMSL SD793 uses close to the same DAC as the STX
The Fiio E9 use the same headphone amplifier chip as the STX.
The O2 (Objective 2) should be just as good a headphone amplifier as the STX & E9,
and the O2 has lower impedance which should make it better for lower Ohm headphones.
like around 50-Ohms or lower.
For driving the Sennheiser HD598 (50-ohm) headphones, I would take any of the three amps.

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 13
If you are using iTunes then Amarra is a great front end to add. The difference in sound quality vs the standard iTunes is remarkable for either headphones or when listening to speakers. If you can add a DAC for your output then you will really be in business!

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
Will the Fiio E17 give similar quality to the STX? Or do I need a separate Amp and DAC?

The Essence STX's DAC (PCM1792A) is better then the E17's DAC (WM8740).
But the amps on the STX & E17 should be very close with headphones like the (50-Ohm) HD598.
My Fiio E11 does a nice job driving my 50-Ohm HD558s.
I would think the E17 would give you a sound you can like while using the HD598s.

Jul 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #10 of 13
Amarra costs more than the guys headphones...

EDIT: The good one anyway. :D

Quote:
If you are using iTunes then Amarra is a great front end to add. The difference in sound quality vs the standard iTunes is remarkable for either headphones or when listening to speakers. If you can add a DAC for your output then you will really be in business!

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Amarra costs more than the guys headphones...

EDIT: The good one anyway. :D

They did drop the price to $189.....Big drop from what it had been.

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 13
Yeah I meant even at 189. Also, I was pretty blown away by the price drop. I'd be pissed if I paid 700 (?) bucks for it.

I'm sure those customers got Symphony, but still. Christ.

Quote:
They did drop the price to $189.....Big drop from what it had been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back