MacBook Air
Jan 19, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #196 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, we've been over this.

Really? A notebook that is 3 lbs or less and MATCHES the tech specs of the MacBook Pro? LED screen, 7200rpm drive, full-voltage C2D, DL superdrive? Please enlighten us, oh great master of techology!

It's a stretch to say there is a notebook of 3lbs or less that even matches the specs of the non-Pro, regular old Mac Book, because they have limited sized displays and keyboards.

--Chris

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #197 of 414
Here's something to consider: Just because a choice doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it's not a logical choice. Everyone makes decisions for reasons. You may or may not agree with those reasons, but when you disagree, that doesn't make them wrong. It might be worthwhile to consider that people who choose things other than technical superiority as a foundation for a choice might be MORE informed, rather than less informed. There's more to life than horsepower. There's a reason why not every car has 700 hp, and why not every car gets 70mpg. There's a reason why some people wear polyester and some wool and some cotton. A life where everyone gets what someone else decides is right isn't a life worth living.

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #198 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? A notebook that is 3 lbs or less and MATCHES the tech specs of the MacBook Pro? LED screen, 7200rpm drive, full-voltage C2D, DL superdrive? Please enlighten us, oh great master of techology!

It's a stretch to say there is a notebook of 3lbs or less that even matches the specs of the non-Pro, regular old Mac Book, because they have limited sized displays and keyboards.

--Chris

I misread your post, but you can get surprisingly close to a MBP. With a little more research I wouldn't be surprised to find something to match the specs.

Toshiba Portege R500-S5002 Specs. Laptops Specifications.

It can be configured with a C2D and a 7200 drive.

Really though, you're nitpicking a point and ignoring the major issue. Calling the MBA revolutionary is insulting. Companies have been down this road before.

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #200 of 414
Judging from the amount of controversy it's generated, I think Apple has got a hit on their hands. There's no such thing as bad publicity, and certainly people are talking about it. Also, I've noticed that people tend to badmouth and bash things when they're secretly envious or feeling threatened by them. All in all, I'm predicting huge success here.

One other thing: this isn't a slow machine. If you get SSD, it'll probably have performance akin to other SSD machines, which is very fast. Faster than a Macbook Pro on real world office tasks. Even without SSD, this isn't running Vista. Leopard is wonderfully fast with 2GB of RAM and my first gen Macbook, which is only 200MHz faster than this unit and has slower graphics and a slower bus.

Two students in my Civil Procedure class had already ordered one by Wednesday afternoon. (The girls in particular seem to love it...) Among the right demographic, it'll be a hit.

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #201 of 414
Quote:

It can be configured with a C2D and 7200 drive.

That's c2d, but 1.2ghz. Way slower. It's a smaller screen, a smaller keyboard, no dual layer burner, a smaller slower hard drive. It's a different compromise than the macbook air, but it's a compromise none the less.

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #202 of 414
I've just merged another thread into this one. There are now 3 threads contained within this one (I merged another one the other day). Hope this doesn't cause much confusion. It's no big deal and with topics like this, we kind of expect multiple threads, but since they're all discussing the same thing...

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #203 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardHeadCase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hemp Dude, how do you like the crazy Mac keyboards that are flat as a board and have the surrounding aluminum? Does it work well for you?

I don't know about him, but I spend all day on my macbook keyboard, and it's the best laptop keyboard I've ever used. And I've spent the better part of the last 2 decades working with computers. The apple chicklet keyboard is a brilliant design. I thought I'd hate it, but in real use, it's a great thing.

Jan 19, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #204 of 414
Quote:

I'm 90% sure there is a C2D version but considering the tone of your post that's enough.

Not even close to the Mac Book Pro. Integrated graphics, 5400 RPM drive, low-voltage processor, 2GB max RAM, 533Mhz FSB, etc. Not even close to the non-pro MacBook in terms of processing power and RAM.

There's nothing wrong with the Portege R500, but it's no Mac Book Pro. Plus, its base configuration is $200 more than the MacBook Air, for a lot less screen size and a small keyboard!

The point here is that with an ultraportable you have to compromise on something. For some people, compromising on optical drive and expandability is preferable to compromising on screen and keyboard size. Either way you are going to pay upwards of $1500.

--Chris

Jan 19, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #205 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about him, but I spend all day on my macbook keyboard, and it's the best laptop keyboard I've ever used. And I've spent the better part of the last 2 decades working with computers. The apple chicklet keyboard is a brilliant design. I thought I'd hate it, but in real use, it's a great thing.

Ditto, I really enjoy the new "chiclet" aluminum keyboard. I honestly didn't expect to like it so much.

As for some of this thread, it amuses me to see how fired up some people get about computers, to the point of dumb stereotypes and slinging veiled personal insults! It's just a computer folks, it may not fit your needs, but for some it is perfect.

Jan 19, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #207 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto, I really enjoy the new "chiclet" aluminum keyboard. I honestly didn't expect to like it so much.

Me too. I loved my MacBook's (RIP) chiclet keyboard, and I'm sure I'll love my new iMac's chiclet keyboard too!

--Chris

Jan 19, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #208 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardHeadCase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had to ask because everytime I see it I picture my fingers slipping off and hitting the wrong key. Its all in my mind,,,LOL

That's kind of what I had envisioned as well, plus I was dreading the lack of tactile feedback, but it really is a pleasure to work on.

Jan 19, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #209 of 414
I wasn't trying to attack anyone here, I don't know anyone here personally, I was just trying to knock apple and I have a sense of humor like Red Foxx and I get carried away sometimes! I even have a Red Foxx concert on VHS and I have all the Sanford and Son episodes on DVD, I even have All in the Family on DVD,,,,I know,,,,sick pup right?

Jan 19, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #210 of 414
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like how the iPhone got Time magazine's "Invention of the Year". It used all pre-existing technologies and implemented them into a cute product with a cute interface. Why exactly is this a candidate for invention of the year? I would think some life-saving device that used new technology would get the vote. What ignorance...

My friend, it's called "ass kissing" or "playing the game". The companies who put their equipment in stereo magazines do it too. The executives and editors at Time4Media probably got an iPhone as a Christmas gift. And also if you haven't noticed, the companies that do most of the advertising for a magazine get better reviews on their products.
wink.gif
It's a shame, but this is America, land of corporate greed and immorality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back