Macbook Air vs Lenovo X300
Mar 21, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never been a fan of ultra thin; it needs some heft imo so I don't throw it out with the papers....

Obviously the MacBook Air is not targeted your needs.
Its targeted those who need a highly portable computer, which probably also travel a lot. They might be able to keep control of it as well, so they don't risk dropping it into the garbage can. Unlike you!
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #17 of 42
If I tried for a while I probably couldn't even come up with a laptop design as silly as the Air. I'd like to find a person that has room to easily carry around an Air but doesn't have the room to carry around a Macbook (and several hundred extra dollars). Ultraportable my foot.

Asus' eeePC, or that 11" Vaio, now those are ultraportable computers.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #19 of 42
I personally would be one of the people to take advantage of the MBA and X300.

I have a motorcycle so I HATE having bulk in my bag. Having something that light and thin would be a lifesaver. Shame about it's price though. Also, I hardly EVER use the DVD drive or any of the extra USB ports on my computer, so it'd be perfect for me. Also, how many people really use an ethernet cable when wi-fi is available? The only time my ethernet port is used is because there is NO wi-fi.

I think it's a GREAT balance for those who want ultra portable, but still want to have a larger screen. It's something many people thought you couldn't have both worlds of, but now can. It's a shame that IBM and Apple are making massive amounts of mark-up to make it a reality, but if people are willing to pay for it....

Mar 22, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a shame that IBM and Apple are making massive amounts of mark-up to make it a reality, but if people are willing to pay for it....

IBM sold the Thinkpad unit to the Chinese army a couple of years ago.

Mar 22, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #21 of 42
I like the Air, but there is no "Optical Out" on the Air. That sucks.

Mar 22, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #22 of 42
I can't live on 1280x800, sorry. The lack of DVD Drive, Ethernet Port, and the Single (!) USB port also make the entire system largely worthless to me. I'd take the Thinkpad any day.

Course, I'd take a Thinkpad X61 Tablet over both.

Mar 22, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #24 of 42
Every laptop in our company is a Thinkpad, there are NO wi-fi connections in the buildings, We use ethernet exclusively when indoors(1000M - its MUCH faster), and WWAN (with RSA keyfobs) out of the office. Now this maybe different for smaller companies, but large financial corporations aren't going to suddenly all move to using a new OS and wi-fi, because of the Air.
Also, the lack of a an easily removable HDD is a bit of a sore point. Our IT people won't even connsider a laptop without a removable HDD, for if they have to send a machine back to the manufacturer or dealer, they have to remove the HDD first, for security purposes (a lot of customer information on our machines, it's encrypted, but we're ultra paranoid.). I asked the IT guys why they don't just wipe the hard drives with a wipe program, they said it takes too long. removing a HDD on a thinkpad - less than a minute - wiping HDD - over an hour.

Mar 22, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't live with a ferrari, it doesn't have 4wd and doesn't have room for a soccer team.

Not entirely relevant. This is more like living with a Ferrari with only one window and without replaceable tires.

Mar 22, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #26 of 42
No, it's exactly relevant. You're complaining that something that isn't designed to be what you want isn't what you want. The macbook air is a completely functional computer that meets the needs of the people who are looking for what it offers. There are enough of these people out there that apple can't keep them in stock. It's not a new "for everyone" laptop.

If you want cheap, functional, and don't mind 5 lbs instead of 3, and 1.5" thick instead of .7, then get a macbook. If you want huge screen, high rez, separate graphics card, get a macbook pro. If you want the latest greatest gaming laptop, get a laptop designed for that, etc.

Mar 22, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #27 of 42
Backing up 'grawk'!
The MacBook Air are not for everybody. For those who need more features, higher screen resolution, speed, disk space, etc. there are the MacBook Pro.

Mar 22, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't live with a ferrari, it doesn't have 4wd and doesn't have room for a soccer team.

I don't care if it's as light as a feather and given to me for free. I CANNOT function in 1280x800 pixels. I can't write code, I can't work in Photoshop, I can't even surf the Internet thanks to websites with ad bars on the left.

Mar 22, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't care if it's as light as a feather and given to me for free. I CANNOT function in 1280x800 pixels. I can't write code, I can't work in Photoshop, I can't even surf the Internet thanks to websites with ad bars on the left.

Then buy a MacBook Pro. Since the MacBook Air obviously are not for you...
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #30 of 42
The lack of functionality greatly outweighs the small advantages afforded buy the added thinness and there is no great weight savings and sending it in for a new battery is just a way to extract more money for something that is already over priced. Its neat and makes a fashion statement and if you like it then be proud to own one, just don't go callin it a Ferrari cause that is pure bull. Simply put its 2 things, its a fashion statement and its nice and thin for people on the go who need the mac OS. Its got the same parts the other companies use so comparatively speaking its not hand made in Italy, well its got some of those parts anyway. If you don't require the OS then get the IBM so you don't have unnecessary limitations and expenditures down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back